Zakk Wylde

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Zakk Wylde

Postby dave1021 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm bored...
recently while brousing youtube, I came across Zakk w/ Ozzy live at Budokan " Bark at the Moon" and I caught myself thinking "not bad".
Now when Zakk initially replaced Jake in Ozzy I was a big Zakk hater. It seems though the more I listen to him ( I've gone back and dug out my BLS and Ozzy disks) the more he grows on me. I still love Jakes stuff, but Zakk's body of work ( and there's a lot to choose from ) seems to be filling a need of mine, good ol'fashioned METAL. I was just wondering you guy's thoughts/feelings on Zakk and if you dig him what are some of your favorite cuts. Mine are in no particular order:
Counterfit God
Stillborn
Miracle Man
Mr Tinkertrain

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Re: Zakk Wylde

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 pm

I am a huge Zakk Wylde fan and also of BLS. No tougher gig than replacing 2 legendary guitarists and trying to live up to the insane expectations. Some great players have fallen by the wayside trying to fill those shoes. Lynch, Vai, Jimi Bell, Bernie Torme, Brad Gillis, and Joe Holmes. My favorite Zakk tracks besides Dave's would have to be in no order

Tattooed Dancer
Throwin it All Away
Fire In the Sky
Sold My Soul
Beserkers
The Beginning At Last
No More Tears
Old L.A. Tonight
A Horse Called War
Dead As Yesterday
Perry Mason

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Mon May 12, 2008 11:27 pm

I really used to dig Zakk all the way up until Blessed Hellride and then after that he seemed to get really stale and repetetive. His work with Ozzy was great up until Ozzmosis and then after that he just plain started sucking IMO. The Pride @ Glory stuff was great and i really wish he would have put out some more stuff under that monikor. It seems to me like Booze and the whole music industry changing has taken its toll on Zakk and hes just burned himself out .

All Access Member

Postby BlackHeaven » Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am

Zakk is the man. Period.

Plus he earns extra cool bonus points for being on Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I'd list my favorite tracks but there way too many...

But I will say his version of Shot in the Dark off of Live and Loud is fucking tits.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue May 13, 2008 8:13 am

meh Zakk is just a rip off of John Sykes!

and i have not heard one good Ozzy track after Ultimate Sin except Perry Mason and that wasn't that good.

but thats just my opinion
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Postby BlackHeaven » Tue May 13, 2008 1:39 pm

CharvelSuperStrat wrote:meh Zakk is just a rip off of John Sykes!

eh...

They both like to use pinch harmonics too much, and like to use les pauls, but other than that their styles are very dissimilar. I mean Sykes' 20th Century and Nuclear Cowboy discs are in no shape and form similar to BLS.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue May 13, 2008 2:02 pm

well..........ummmmmmmm....... i don't care SYKES RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Ultimate Sinner

Postby rockinrye » Tue May 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Personally , I am not a big BLS fan . Now if you are talking about Pride & Glory!?!?

That cd is awesome top too bottom.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok, Ok,
I've got the "Pride and Glory" disk. Other than "Horse Called War" and "I Hate your Guts", I wasn't too impressed, but based on the Jake E. Lee .com review , I'll give it another listen.
In my BLS collection I've got " Stronger Than Death ", " Hangover Music " , and "Mafia". I just ordered "Kings of Damnation" and "Shot to Hell" off amazon, I hope they rock. I'm also gonna have to pick up "The Blessed Hellride" if for nothing else "Stillborn" cause that song is BADASS.
Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm

I like ZAKK WYLDE - his an spectacular Master guitarist/and his done a really fantastic job as one of OZZY's main "3" premiere musician/Guitarists (the other two guitarists being Randy Rhoads & Jake E. Lee.) I so admire each one of them Wylde, Rhoads & Lee: their fabulous & incrediably skillful legendary Trailblazers! The legendary Randy Rhoads had a awesome foundation music blueprint (Jake E. Lee & Zakk Wylde contributed thier masterpieces, too with much grit & true heart, as well) for the musicians that would come after him to follow & that was quite heavy to do..'and it was done with much regards & respects to Rhoads masterpieces co-works. With that said I most certainly do digg/like Mr. Wylde's music rather his working w/the Crazy Train, Bark At the Moon & Mama I'm Coming Home "man" the fame/legendary Ozzy Osbourne or his solo works with his own famous band Black Label Society he/Zakk is a solidfied Master Guitarist & I like his music works. I only have the "Hangover Music" (it's Zakk's quiet side w/piano solo's & acoustics guitars..'it's really beautiful & "Mafia" is the total opposite a heartwrenching/heavy "heavy" Metal in your face album..'very boisterous, pain & mean sounding..'it's a masterpiece! 8O 8) :o And I have one more Zakk's BLS album/Cd that one kicks too but at the moment can't think of the name. Much respects and look forward to the fame guitarist Thor/Zakk Wylde future works (Zakk Wylde looks like the Viking THOR: Marvel creator/Icon genius Stan Lee should get him to play such an noble monster of a Viking man...'for ZAKK 8O certainly has that mighty Thor look & strength about him.) Peace :!:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 pm

CharvelSuperStrat wrote:meh Zakk is just a rip off of John Sykes!

and i have not heard one good Ozzy track after Ultimate Sin except Perry Mason and that wasn't that good.

but thats just my opinion

Quoted For Truth^^

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Sykes is a great guitarist but I don't hear any similarities between him and Zakk other than they play six-stringed instruments. Cryin In The Rain is one of the greatest solos IMO in the genre.

Anyhow, Zakk's playing has become stale but he's released a massive amount of material in a very short amount of time. I have a ton of respect for the guy for keeping shred alive during the dreaded 90's and early 2000's. Dime and Zakk both carried the torch when many guitarists seemed reluctant to try to be Guitar Heroes. I don't think he is close to being done just yet.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:47 am

I have noticed that since "Shot to Hell" came out in '06, other than touring, Zakk's been pretty quiet. I hope this means he's taking some well deserved time off to charge his creative batteries.
I haven't heard that much from John Sykes. I dug his "Whitesnake" and "Blue Murder" offerings but outside that I haven't heard that much. But I will take suggestions...

Dave

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 am

John Sykes is still touring with Thin Lizzy i think. i read about a year ago that Blue Murder might get back together and there was a picture of John Carmine and Tony. hope it still happens.

All Access Member

Postby BlackHeaven » Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am

dave1021 wrote:I have noticed that since "Shot to Hell" came out in '06, other than touring, Zakk's been pretty quiet. I hope this means he's taking some well deserved time off to charge his creative batteries.
I haven't heard that much from John Sykes. I dug his "Whitesnake" and "Blue Murder" offerings but outside that I haven't heard that much. But I will take suggestions...

Dave

Zakk's been on tour with Ozzy since the release of Black Rain. He hasn't had much time off as Ozzy has been hitting South America and has that one off Ozzfest in Texas coming up.

Sykes has put out some solo albums that you can get, Nuclear Cowboy and 20th Century being the better ones imho. He was also on the early Tygers of Pan Tang albums which you should avoid like the plague, but his best album is still Thin Lizzy's Thunder and Lightning.

Next

Return to Free for all...