Ace Frehley

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Ace Frehley

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:47 am

Well, well, well.... look who has come out of the blackness of exile.

Great to see you back on the forum Vernon! We missed you around here.

Oh yeah, Ace was badass. He sounded great and played great. The backing band was killer too!

I agree with you about Linda, she is pretty cool. Except for that Goo Goo Doll thing..... :lol:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:07 am

I agree with you about Linda, she is pretty cool. Except for that Goo Goo Doll thing..... :lol:[/quote]

Hey mrmetal,
Always cool to talk to you Brother.
As usual....you had me crackin' up :lol:

Goo Goo Doll thing :?: 8O :?:
Ohhhhhh.....that hurts.... :lol:
I did see them open up for The Stones once....It gave me a chance to get a beer and another tounge shirt for my collection :)

Oh well....can't win em all.
We both know women rule the world anyway.
I was a teenager when I learned that and life has been easier for me ever since 8)

later,

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 am

mrmetal wrote:I agree with you about Linda, she is pretty cool. Except for that Goo Goo Doll thing..... :lol:

Hey, I just read that - HMPH! :roll: Don't hate - APPRECIATE. The Goos have been around since 1986. It's just like you and that 80s synth pop thing *cough cough* :lol:

Vernon wrote:Also,,,..Gutterflower....if you're reading this by chance.....I don't know you but I've read some of your posts.I think your pretty fuckin' cool.
Any fan of Jimmy Page....is a friend of mine :-)
I never trusted anyone that doesn't like Jimmy Page :-)

later

Thanks, Vernon 8) Hope you stick around the board now that you've come out of hiding.

JIMMY RULES!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 am

Hey Gutterflower,
Nice to meet you.
You're the coolest!!!!

I had my usual insomnia last night and I came here after years of not posting.
I saw some of your posts.
You are a girl after my own heart....with your love of Zeppelin and Jimmy :wink:

I've loved not just Zeppelin but Jimmy since I was 7 years old (I'm 40 now).
I've talked to Jimmy on a radio show (I of course have many copies of it on CD) :lol:
I've met John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham.
I've met Tony Franklin and Chris Slade from The Firm.

My favorite Zep album is Presence.My favorite song is Tea For One.

I had to laugh cause in one of your posts you posted a reunion picture that has been my windows backgrownd since last December.

Also....we've got to ride that Zeppelin rollercoaster one of these days :D

Lastly....my guess would be a new Jimmy solo project before another Zeppelin reunion.
The last rumor I read was that Jimmy and JPJ had booked studio time so maybe Jimmy is starting more solo work.

Enough of my blabbing.
(virtual hand shake and a hug).
Pleasure to meet you Gutterflower.Always good to meet new Jimmy friends...as you can see....I can talk about him for hours :) 8)
Elvis is dead (I'm an Elvis fan too) so that makes Jimmy The King in my book.
later

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Gutterflower wrote:Hey, I just read that - HMPH! :roll: Don't hate - APPRECIATE. The Goos have been around since 1986. It's just like you and that 80s synth pop thing *cough cough* :lol:

Speaking of 80's, The Cure will be here this month - I am going....

And House of Lords!!!!! Holy Shit! Can't wait for that one!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 am

mrmetal wrote:
Gutterflower wrote:Hey, I just read that - HMPH! :roll: Don't hate - APPRECIATE. The Goos have been around since 1986. It's just like you and that 80s synth pop thing *cough cough* :lol:

Speaking of 80's, The Cure will be here this month - I am going....

And House of Lords!!!!! Holy Shit! Can't wait for that one!

One of my best friends is a huuuge Cure fan and just saw them at Red Rocks in Denver. They played 3 hours along with 3 encores and sounded incredible :P She got lots of pictures and video.

She's a Goo fan, too :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 am

Well, I've only read the last few posts here, and correct me if I'm wrong . . . this is an Ace Frehley thread?! My two cents, Ace Frehley sucked during his good years, sucked the time I've heard him most recently, and I can make a beer and BBQ fart in the bathroom sound better than the great percentage of his guitar work! The Cure were a fringe gay band whose music I admittedly was attracted to ( I still can't explain why). I'm thinking back to the freaky girls; their chubby little hands in the air, black clothes, and lawnmower hair cuts with air brush look make-up, dry-ice vapor and fringe gay music, but then, great sex has always been a big part of my life. LOL Led Zeppelin made some tremendously great noise, and lots of tediously reduntant noise. Somewhere in the middle of that, one Robert Plant was cultivating a few decades of excellent music to follow. Sorry, Rob. Life happens. Thanks to you, Rob. :)
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey Frethead,
First of all good to meet you.
I can respect people with opinions they've thought through even though I don't agree with you.

Music is art.One rule I try to follow is never argue about art,religion or politics.You usually can't change someones mind when it comes to those topics.

Here I go....contradicting my above statement :lol:

Ace Frehley is one of my favorite guitar players to ever play.
I'm 40 now and I've been playing guitar seriously since I was 15.
I wanted to play because of Ace.I grew my hair because of Ace.
When I was a kid I saw people like Randy Rhoads and Jimmy Page and said to myself "I'd like to play guitar but fuck it cause I'll probably never be able to play anywhere near the likes of players like Jimmy or Randy".
When I saw Ace,,,,I said "Wow I think I can do that....I wanna be just like Ace when I play".
So really Ace opened up a world to me.....that no other player was able to do.

I've seen Ace live probably 15 or so times.
I've seen him play in front of 25,000 people and I've seen him play to less than 300 people.He gives it all he has no matter the size of the croud.
Ace is one of the greatest live proformers I've ever had the pleasure to see and hear.

Also...if what you say is true ...and your farts are better than Ace...
Get off the pot as they say.....go out and become The Great Fartin' Frethead.
Make a million dollars and a million fans.
You won't because you're nobody just like me.
You can't play to match your opinions.Otherwise we would all be writing on The Great Fartin' Fretheads board.

Zeppelin redundant.....that's laughable.
Not much to say here except for....Zeppelin is the greatest rock band to ever walk this earth.Simple as that.
If you don't see it that way....as with Ace.....I feel sorry for you cause you're missing all of the fun.

As far as Robert Plant goes.....I think he's one of the greatest poets and singers of all times.
But I really only enjoyed his first 3 solo albums.
After the first 3 albums.....I only tend to appreciate one or two songs of off every other album after his first 3.

No hard feelings Frethead.Opinions are like assholes.....everybody's got one :)
later...

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:06 pm

You're right Frethead, this is an Ace thread I started, but we always seem to get off track somehow.

I don't agree with you and all. Ace wrote some great songs, yeah, he isn't a technical player by any means, but he can play and write some good songs. I like most of his material, but like Vernon, I am totally biased because I grew up listening to Kiss, Ace, and Frehley's Comet.

I don't know which show you saw, but the ones I have seen he always sounded kick ass.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 am

No problems, guys. I started playing when I was twelve and I'll be forty in November. Here's the twist, music is art when it's played by artists. I grew up running around with a tennis racket and Kiss on the turntable, so I can relate, Vernon. I was also spending variable nights in Macon, Georgia, at the Capricorn Studio with the Allman Bros. and said band, whom my dad grew up with in Daytona Beach. That experience opened my "eyes and ears" to what a guy with patience can do in the company of a guitar. Ace was exciting to a degree, albeit relative to the band he was in at the time ( I'll admit that his songs do have an edge and deliver a thrill), and to say that he can't play would be untrue. So, he sucks. On and on . . . I don't want anything to do with the business of making music, aside from playing my guitars and doing that thing, you know. I'll save you from having to listen to another guitar player boasting. Zeppelin's not redundant. Well, I knew there was going to be some flack coming back for that! It should be an acceptable comment to someone who has become so enthralled with them. All bands become redundant after some amount of time. Yes, I have missed out on a whole lot of fun, but I've heard of Led Zeppelin. I don't even know how many albums Plant has put together, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with whatever comment I made about his music. I do like his music very much, though. Anyway, opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, and they all stink. :lol:
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Whew. It's good to know I'm not the only one that didn't understand all the love Ace was being shown here. I won't bash him badly, just never understood any praises for him. Nope. Not at all. Limited, if any, talent there.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Hey Frethead,
You seem like a pretty cool,well spoken Dude.
I'm sure we'd get along if we met in person.
One last Zeppelin thing....(i've loved them since I was 7 BTW)...it's always been my opinion that most of their best songs aren't played on the radio.
If you're ever bored for new music to hear....Go out and buy every one of their albums.One by one.
There has never been a band that made each album as different as Zeppelin did IMO.Maybe The Beatles but that's a matter of opinion.
I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised if you ever deciede to take my Zeppelin advice.

On to Ace for anyone else that enjoys long winded stories :lol:
I like Ace better than I like Kiss.Just as I like Jimmy Page better than I like Zeppelin.
The above being said....Ace is a real player.By that I mean....just straight forward rock n' roll.He never was into marketing Kiss to kids.
He just wanted to make music.
Ace's words and music really made/make a great impression on me and my spirit.
I can't tell people why they should like him.I can only say that I do and always will.Ace is the real deal and I love the guy.I'g be speechless if I ever shook his hand.

Ace is very much like The Ramones in the sense that you eathier love him or you hate him....For some reason there seems to be no middle ground when it comes to people liking The Ramones or Ace.
As I'm sure you've guessed I'm a big Ramones fan too 8)

I've got a story that relates to what I'm trying to put across.
I read Henry Rollins once say...
"If all of the world were fans of The Ramones there would be no more war".
He said "If two guys were beating each other in the head with bottles.....
then all of the sudden....they found out they were both Ramones fans....
they would stop fighting and say.....Holy shit....you like The Ramones!!!
they would then hug each other and be friends forever". :lol: :lol:

That is a very true story because that has happed to me at least 5 times in my life (with guys and girls).We all of the sudden go "Holy shit....you like The Ramones".....then we hug :lol:
No need to explain ourselves 8)

I tell that long winded story because Ace fans are >exactly< the same way.
As Ace fans....we know he's great....no need to argue and sway other people.

Lastly....why is a band like AC/DC considered better than someone like Ace :?: :?:
I love AC/DC too but they can write songs like Hells Bells and For Those About To Rock and be better than Ace?.....totally untrue.
Ace writes songs like the above AC'DC classics.....and sings them too.
I'll always crank up Ace and headbang :D :P :twisted: :lol:

Any rock n roll snob is only preventing themselves from having a good time.

Sorry for the million word essay to anyone that bothered to read it :P
Did I mention....Ace Frehley is great? :lol: :lol:
later...

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:12 pm

People that don't like Ace, are just, well, WRONG!

:lol:

The guy has written several gold records, had the best selling solo album of any other Kiss member, and inspired a legion of wanna be guitarists. Love or hate 'em, or just not care - either way.... the guy has done plenty for hard rock guitar, and you can't knock him for that.

He is also a really funny guy. He is great in interviews and seems very down to earth.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:16 am

mrmetal wrote:People that don't like Ace, are just, well, WRONG!

:lol:

The guy has written several gold records, had the best selling solo album of any other Kiss member, and inspired a legion of wanna be guitarists. Love or hate 'em, or just not care - either way.... the guy has done plenty for hard rock guitar, and you can't knock him for that.

He is also a really funny guy. He is great in interviews and seems very down to earth.

Well, us WRONG ones are still sitting around trying to think of a decent riff or solo he put forth. For the life of me I can't think of one song where I had to crank up the stereo to rock out to one of his solos.

And, I think this should be added, KISS attracted a lot of wannabes because they were different and brought with them a sense of rebellion (if you will) . . . hence, the gold records. Of course, aspiring band members wanted to be like Ace but, I don't think it was due to his guitar technique. But, that's just my opinion and, as someone stated earlier, we all know that some ops smell! :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Doobie wrote:Well, us WRONG ones are still sitting around trying to think of a decent riff or solo he put forth.

Hmmmm, let me see:

Parasite, Shock Me, Acoustic intro to Rock Bottom, Strange Ways, Breakout, Rip it Out, Talk to Me, Cold Gin, Love Gun...

Nope. No cool or memorable riffs there. :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...