Longest not played the guitar?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Longest not played the guitar?

Postby Charvelised » Thu May 15, 2008 5:15 am

having Been Ill for the las 3 weeks I've not played the guitar..the thought of never playing again is really making me unhappy..(i've been told I may never play again!) anyone had
to refrain from playin' ?

Re: Longest not played the guitar?

Postby skezza » Thu May 15, 2008 6:07 am

cant remember not playing for that long. i suppose when ive been on holiday, and yeah i can agree, you always think your losing it lol
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu May 15, 2008 7:24 am

I feel for you Charvelised. My brother had to give it up entirely due to this disease: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dupuyt ... DSECTION=2
It broke my heart when he gave away all of his guitars :cry:

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 am

It's Breakin my Mind never mind my heart Not to play ..For sure I thought Lay Off a little While But Forever I can't Contemplate it!..I thought of Jason Becker immediately..(though I'm No JB!)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 am

I had to go 6 weeks without playing once when I had to travel to a job out of state. It totally sucked.

Killer of Giants

Postby SDBinNY » Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

I was laid up for a year and a half, and when it started my wife was pregnant with my son. I sold off all my gear, and didn't get another guitar until my son was 3. I had a relapse when he was 5, and I was down for another 10 months. Sold everything off again and got my next guitar 2 years later.

Doobie.. I am sorry to hear of your brother's misfortune, I could not imagine what he must feel...

Charvi'ed... I hope you recover soon and fully...

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Longest I have gone without playing since I first started is probably 3 weeks when I was out of state last summer.

I must say, picking it back up when I got home was one of the best feelings I have ever had.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu May 15, 2008 9:52 pm

I think, since I started, it hasn't been more than say ... 1 week tops,
that I didn't touch the guitar. I'm too passionate about it to not be playing :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 am

SDBinNY wrote:Doobie.. I am sorry to hear of your brother's misfortune, I could not imagine what he must feel...

Thank you, SDB. It's very hard for him to cope - so painful.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:59 am

I go through spurts where I'll play every chance I get and someting comes along, usually working 2 jobs or something with the kids, and I'll put it down for a couple of weeks. I think the longest I went was after the twins were born and my wife wasn't working so I sold all my gear but 1 guitar. I didn't play for about a year.
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:07 am

Doobie
Being a therapist ( Physcial Therapist Assistant, PTA for short ) I had to look up you brothers condition. I'm sooo sorry to hear about his condition. I hate those conditions where "The cause is not entirely known." If they don't know what causes it they can't treat it, only the symptoms. Being a player I can't imagine what it must be like to be told you'll never play again. If you ever need some therapist insite, let me know.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 am

dave1021 wrote:Doobie
Being a therapist ( Physcial Therapist Assistant, PTA for short ) I had to look up you brothers condition. I'm sooo sorry to hear about his condition. I hate those conditions where "The cause is not entirely known." If they don't know what causes it they can't treat it, only the symptoms. Being a player I can't imagine what it must be like to be told you'll never play again. If you ever need some therapist insite, let me know.

Dave

Thank you, Dave. Actually, there is a procedure to correct it. But, should it return thereafter, it could more-than-likely mean amputation . My brother cannot undergo that particular surgery as it is a 20-hr.+ surgery. He has congestive heart failure and could not sustain being put out for that long of a period of time - they've already told him that he'd not wake up from that surgery.

So, I did some research and have found there is a new procedure that requires no anesthetic other than a local. The only numbing will be to his hands. The procedure takes only about an hour to complete and there would be very little recuperation time. Should the symptoms repeat after this surgery, he could have it done numerous more times with no amputation risks. The cost is about 1/10th of the 20-hour surgery. At this time, there are only 10 sites in the U.S. that do this particular procedure (invented by the French). I'm trying to get him an appt. at the nearest site. With him being on disability due to this disease we'll have to find out if Medicare will cover him in a different state. Have to do something quick, though. I don't know how much longer he can put up with this pain and shakiness. As you can imagine, it's effecting his mental state, too. I'm sure it's enough to drive anyone crazy. His pinky and ring fingers are already curled into the palms of his hands. The middle finger is about half-way down. It's horrible. I can't imagine the pain and frustration he feels. :cry:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 pm

42 years....buts thats i never started.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Sun May 18, 2008 12:44 pm

i've not gone more than a day without playing since i started,

my sympathies are with anyone who has been forced to stop playing :(

i dont know how i would cope if i couldnt play anymore

Rob

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sun May 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Hmmm, 2 hours :P

Honestly, when I went to Download (Donnington, UK), and I had an exam before that, so from Thursday evening, til Sunday night. When I left, I couldn't get the Zakk box pattern of the NMT solo right, fingers wanted 4 notes on each string, not 4, 2 (if you see what I am on about) and on my return, it worked :?

Next

Return to Free for all...