Zep in 2009

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Zep in 2009

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:31 am

Guitarist Jimmy Page said Led Zeppelin are ready to reunite and perform more live shows.

Page gave a brief interview to the Telegraph newspaper following his appearance with the Foo Fighters at Wembley at the weekend.

But Page told the Telegraph Zep fans could have to wait until autumn 2009 as band members had to complete individual projects first.

Re: Zep in 2009

Postby pyschokenetic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:38 pm

For the nostalgiac, great. For the realists, who cares? Been nearly 30 years since Zep did an album of new material, and only those who wish to relive their pasts really care about a reformation of musicians well into their 60's who cannot "recreate" the magic of yor. Sorry, apologies, ppl of good will/faith who love the "oldies", but really? I am to be 40 this year, and can remember the "magic" of classics such as Zep, Halen, Mid age Stones in the 70s-80s, et al..other bands, but c'mon? Bonham has been gone since 12/80. I remember getting ready for 6th grade when it was announced over the radio. I remember thinking, "Well, will never get to see them now". Saw VH in 80 and 81. I dunno, for ppl who want this kind of bunk, and judging from the 93 Million grossed from VH's recent tour, that apparently is ALOT, more power to ya. I prefer to keep these types of bands in my memory, where they will not be tainted. Refering again to VH, upchucking at the thought that "Wolfie" VH is playing bass, and not Mike Anthony. M.A. ? Background harmonies and pretty distinct bass lines on all those great early VH records? "Wolfie" is a mere 16 or 17 or so. Ugh....whatever. I really like "Classic Rock": all the greats: Ozzy, Jake, VH, Zep, Who, Stones, all the 80's groups. Only one really doing anything of greatness is Motley; their new one, "Saints of L.A." is really remniscent of their classic work. Not wanting at all to be negative here, but get so sick of some who pine for things that have long past. My .02; sorry for sharing in a negative light, peace..... :oops: :evil: :twisted:

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 am

:lol: :lol: that is a really negative reply :D :D but I have to pretty much agree with ya :wink: I think the very fact that they have to tune down to help plant sing the songs makes the whole sound of the band change.....not really appealing for me either

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 am

Why can't they just go by Page and Plant again? I saw them back in 90 something as Page and Plant. Good show. But what made the show was the band, imho. Unless they bring John Paul Jones, I can't see how it's Led Zep and not just Page Plant.. other than marketing/sales.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am

Hey all,
I have to laugh...
Most of the threads on this entire website are filled with negitive comments.
I guess people feel it's cooler to rain on someones parade....
than to simply be nice....or maybe keep their mouths shut.

I was here when this board was much different.
I was here when Jake actually wrote to his own board.
Back before 98% of you even knew this place existed.

If I was Jake I wouldn't want to post here eathier.
Far too much negativity.

I only came back here to post because I read here once or twice a year.
I noticed there was someone here I >had to< meet.
So I did that.

This thread is a perfect example of my point.
Somebody gets excited about something....then everyone sits back...only to watch others shit on the original poster.

Out of a thousand threads here.....some people choose only the ones they hate the most to reply to.
Nice people.
How about the old saying.....if you don't have anything good to say....don't say anything at all.
Do people realize you can disagree and still be polite?

I knew about Jimmy JPJ and The Foos long before anyone here did.
Why should I post?
Just to get told....Jimmy,JPJ,The Foos and Zeppelin suck?
No need for me to post any information here at all.

Lastly.....Fretman....e-mail me anytime Brother.
Our mutual friend "W" has my e-mail.
If I was you....I'd moderate 50% of just the asshole people right outta here.
Starting with Jeff posting new rules...in big letters....on the home page.
Then maybe Jake would come back.

Now.....come on....all you negative,unhappy people.
Rip me a new one.
I'll be laughing.....even if I don't reply.
Unhappy fuckheads.
later....

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am

Vernon wrote:I was here when this board was much different.
I was here when Jake actually wrote to his own board.
Back before 98% of you even knew this place existed.

. . . as were a lot of us you've been introducing yourself to. A lot of the originals are here, Vernon. Some have different user names. Some of us are using the same one from the old board.

I'm not trying to convey negativity or rip you up ... just putting in my 2c's worth. But, it should be obvious the disagreements here are nowhere near the multitude or magnitude of the old board. The mods don't let it happen. The mods are smart enough to know when it's getting out of hand (hardly ever - mods will attest to that, I'm sure) and they're also smart enough to detect sarcasm and humor when we simply love to disagree with our counterparts here. For the most part, it's all in good fun. I think everyone would agree on that.

However, you can train yourself to immediately skip over certain posts when you see the author is someone that normally doesn't haven't anything to say . . . :wink:
Last edited by Doobie on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby pyschokenetic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 am

Alrighty....

:oops: :( SORRY!!! For being a negative "dickhead" towards the excitement and enthusiam of others patiently waiting with baiting breath, salivating at the mere thought of Page, Plant, JPJ, and, uh, oh yeah, JASON BONHAM (actually, who IS drumming?) getting on stage together.

Sure, there are some who still look forward to that. Not my right to piss on your parade; I am sincerely sorry. I hope they tour, are successful, and ppl go and watch/have a great time!!!

IF this does happen, do you think they'll focus on earlier material, later, all of it sprinkled, mix it up with the Moracco sound Page/Plant explored in the 90's, etc...? How do you see the song list?

Who will drum for them? The obvious, Jason? Who would they tap as an opening act? Will they play in stadiums, arenas at least, pay per view, etc?

Ok, playing "nice" here. Input? :idea:

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 pm

awwwwwww i want ZEP NOW!
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Postby Winter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Psychokinetic, nice to meet you. I would like to reply to your post.
I respect your opinion, however, I gathered from your post what you were saying was that, basically, any musician who is over the age of 40 or so, should basically call it a day and retire or move onto some other sphere of work?

Musicianship is a career, not just a part time job or hobby. If all musicians set a time limit on their musical ablilities and creativity, what would be the point of doing it at all? Its art. Like writing or painting. Creativity doesn't run out when someone reaches a certain age. Its a well paid (for the most part) career, in which individuals have to work incredibly hard and put up with vicious criticism to achieve any sort of success. Motley Crue, Ozzy, Aerosmith, all these guys are still going. Musicians grow as people, they have experiences, they live life like the rest of us "mere mortals", just in a more public fashion.

David Bowie once said in an interview that "I am learning like everyone else and my music reflects what I learn every day". Should he stop making music because of his age?

I am a big Stevie Nicks fan, and she recently turned 60. Still making music, still touring, still relesing albums. She has managed to succeed in a male dominated environment , that has destroyed a lot of female musicians and she has inspired a lot of female performers to follow.

Not liking a particular band or musician is one thing, but there is so much variation out there, everyone has their different tastes and likings, and musicans reflect all of our different tastes. From hard rock to emo, from blues to punk, its all about what you like as an individual. All "rock stars" are individual thinkers. No two bands are the same. They all have sometihng different to offer.

Hope I haven't rambled too much.

Winter.

PS.I know this is a free for all board, but is swearing necessary guys? ;-)

Winter

performers andpavedthe way for women in rock music.

Postby pyschokenetic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:50 am

Great Points, Winter; I too, am a musician, and learn daily from things/life. Again, sorry about the Zep rant; valid points, and am sure lots are looking forward to them touring and possibly recording soon.

I wonder, if Zep does record new material for release, what the sound will be? 29 years after In thru the outdoor (a great album), how will modern sounds affect the song writing? Just some thoughts... :)

Postby Winter » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:19 am

Hi, Psychokinetic.

If Led Zeppelin release new material, I feel that they will try to keep as close to their original sounds as possible. With all the technology out there, it will be relatively simple to recreate the sounds that they used on their albums in the late 60's or 70's.

Depending on whichever producer or technicians they work with, who may try to persuade them to switch around various ideas perhaps, I feel as far as Jimmy Page goes at least, he will be quite staunch in his view of whatever vibe the new material should take.

Robert's range is perfectly suited to Jimmy's guitar work,and as far as songwriting goes, I would say that "~ if it ain't broke, why fix it?" (as the saying goes.) "The song remains the same" so to speak.

That's what made them a success. They didnt really try to modernise themselves like other bands, they just focused on their unique style. There would be no point updating their look/sound/style/music, just to "fit in "with todays hard rock/emo/post punk/teen angst 'modern' music...it would just sound very strange and bizarre :) .

Return to Free for all...