Hey!! Restoring a guitar!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Hey!! Restoring a guitar!

Postby pyschokenetic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Listen!!

I bought from Ebay (yea, I know) a guitar body that I'll have to restore. I knew this b/f buying it. It's a Charvel/Kramer/Ibanez style body. Probably Plywood. 2 single coils and a bridge humbucker slot. Basic Fender tremelo rout out. It is currently a blueish color, with lots of nicks/dings/marks to it. Here's my goals:

Sand it down, and repaint. I had an old boss from years ago who helped in a project from when I was younger. I sanded to the bare the guitar, and he used a red paint, and then verethane as a coating. What are suggestions here? Plywood, is that a porous type of wood? Would I be better off painting it a darker color for the wood's purposes, then adding the verethane as a finishing coating? Anyone with experience on this? Feedback would be welcomed; thank you. :D

Killer of Giants

Re: Hey!! Restoring a guitar!

Postby sytharnia » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 am

I painted a ply body years ago and from memory the really soak up the undercoat....you might be able to use a sealer on it first, but not to sure...

Colour won't really matter once you have under coated it because the coating will be so thick that your top coating will look really good.....

don't know what "verethane" is, can't get it in the part of the world that I live in, but I assume it is like polyurethane...so your would spray it on after the paint....hope this helps a little

Postby pyschokenetic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:24 am

:) :D

Thanks, Syth, so should I apply 2 coats to "reenforce" the colour? Then, use a clear coat for the sealant? Input, much obliged!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 am

here's what I do on hardwoods

3 to 4 thin coats of undercoat
7 to 9 thin coats of colour
10+ coats of clear (with lots of lite sanding between) or until the surface is dead flat

there are various amounts of sanding after every step, just be careful not to sand right through the coat..........

I could make it way more detailed but half the fun is in the learning :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm

i just used hi-gloss polyurethane ... 5 - 7 coats maybe, not more than
10 anyway :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Return to Free for all...