Black Water Rising cd review

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Black Water Rising cd review

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Black Water Rising - S/T


Rob Traynor-Vocals/Guitars has a good voice that lends to many styles.
Johnny Fattoruso-Guitars
Mike Meselsohn-Drums
Oddie Mclaughlin-Bass

1. The Mirror - A thunderous southern rocker with a brutal Sabbath like riff with a Skynyrd feel. Great tune to start this cd off. 8.0/10

2. Brother Go On - another great riff with a heavy southern feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0IoyMsljE 8.5/10

3. Hate Machine - an Stone Temple Pilots feel here off of the "Purple" era. Singer Rob Traynor sounds a bit like Scott Weiland but the band still maintains a Sabbath feel in the chorus. A tune that grows on you with every listen. 7.5/10

4. Black Bleeds Through - another killer Sabbath like riff and this songs reminds me a lot of Wasp/Behind The Wall Of Sleep from Sabbath's debut. 8.0/10

5. Blessed - basically another very heavy Stone Temple Pilots tune but a very good one. This sounds like a song that would have fit on S.T.P.'s Core from 1992.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQdpp_3Ifk 8.5/10

6. No Halos - again Sabbath with a heavy southern rock feel. Love the chorus and it's extemely catchy. Another solid tune on a cd full of them. 8.5/10

7. Living Proof - another straightforward rocker that keeps in line with the rest of the album. The vocals are a bit lost in this mix though. 7.0/10

8. Rise - A heavy tune with the afore-mentioned influences. I really like Rob Traynor's voice. He sounds like Phil Anselmo from Pantera and can really unleash some power when he wants. The heaviest track on a rocking cd. Great drumming and a nice bass line on this track and my personal fave 8.5/10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8i9CNTZLDo

9. The River - this reminds me of Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society and a heavy Sabbath influence once again. Not suprising since both bands are Sabbath freaks.
Another great tune. 8.75/10

10. Sale On Your Soul - Another S.T.P. rocker that would have fit on "Down" released in 1999. Strange pairing of Sabbath and STP but i works here. A solid grungy track STP fans would like. 8/10

11. Burn It Down - the last track is a solid tune that stays true to the Sabbath/southern formula. A slower rocker that features a rocking chorus and sounds like something B.L.S. would do. 7/10

BWR is a band with a lot of promise and a wealth of influences. Can they stretch the Sabbath/Southerrn formula into another cd remains the question. The STP like tunes offer a nice change of pace to the rest of the tracks but who exactly is BWR?
A little more originality is my only gripe but this is an excellent heavy rocking cd that will satisfy listeners who despise nu-metal and love 70's hard rock mixed with southern rock.

All Access Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: springfield il

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby harddriver » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 am

Judging from your reviews i will have to check this one out. I have been listening to nothing but The Sword lately and ive always loved slow , drudgy riffs that bands like Down , Crowbar and the Sword have been kicking out .

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

harddriver wrote:Judging from your reviews i will have to check this one out. I have been listening to nothing but The Sword lately and ive always loved slow , drudgy riffs that bands like Down , Crowbar and the Sword have been kicking out .


Thanks for checking it out and I appreciate the feedback. I think you will really like this band if your into Down. BWR got their name from lyrics in a Clutch tune. I will have to check out the Sword too!!!!

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby Rock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 am

Sounds good, worth a look, cheers for the heads up. Just got Ozzys new album scream, dont mind the new guitarist, he kicks ass. :)

All Access Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: springfield il

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby harddriver » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:28 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:
harddriver wrote:Judging from your reviews i will have to check this one out. I have been listening to nothing but The Sword lately and ive always loved slow , drudgy riffs that bands like Down , Crowbar and the Sword have been kicking out .


Thanks for checking it out and I appreciate the feedback. I think you will really like this band if your into Down. BWR got their name from lyrics in a Clutch tune. I will have to check out the Sword too!!!!


The Sword are the best thing out there right now in my humbled opinion. Ive seen them twice now and the last time they blew both Down and Metallica off the stage. They have 2 albums out currently and 3rd coming out soon. Give em a listen amd CRANK IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Access Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby Shadow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:18 pm

That was really cool, they BLACK WATER RISING have a groovin' master sound with heavy influence from VELVET REVOLVER. "Go On Brother Go On" is outtasight..'great sing and that Ram image on their S/T is pretty interesting. peace!

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 am

Rock wrote:Sounds good, worth a look, cheers for the heads up. Just got Ozzys new album scream, dont mind the new guitarist, he kicks ass. :)


I really like the new Ozzy too Rock. Escpecially Digging Me Down, Soulsucker, Time, Crucify, and I Want It More. I am interested to see Gus write something next time. Zakk had just about completed this album when Ozzy decided to fire him for drinking uncontrollably.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:32 am

Shadow wrote:That was really cool, they BLACK WATER RISING have a groovin' master sound with heavy influence from VELVET REVOLVER. "Go On Brother Go On" is outtasight..'great sing and that Ram image on their S/T is pretty interesting. peace!


I agree Shadow, I really dig this band. Now I have to check out the Sword.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: Black Water Rising cd review

Postby Rock » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:04 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:
Rock wrote:Sounds good, worth a look, cheers for the heads up. Just got Ozzys new album scream, dont mind the new guitarist, he kicks ass. :)


I really like the new Ozzy too Rock. Escpecially Digging Me Down, Soulsucker, Time, Crucify, and I Want It More. I am interested to see Gus write something next time. Zakk had just about completed this album when Ozzy decided to fire him for drinking uncontrollably.


I would say more like Sharon sacked him. :)

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests