New Sabbath Re-issues featuring Ray Gillen

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

New Sabbath Re-issues featuring Ray Gillen

Postby bernidb » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:30 pm

According to Blabbermouth.net, there will be some re-issues of the post Dio Sabbath albums Seventh Star and The Eternal Idol which will feature some material sung by Ray Gillen.

From Blabbermouth:
"The Eternal Idol" remastered deluxe expanded edition adds two single B-sides from "The Shining" — "Black Moon" and "Some Kind Of Woman" — while the second disc brings to CD for the very first time the complete album session originally recorded by the late Ray Gillen.

This sounds killer. RIP Ray, you were a monster. :(

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=146209

All Access Member

Re: New Sabbath Re-issues featuring Ray Gillen

Postby Shadow » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 pm

That's great news: nice to hear that such treasure BLACK SABBATH vintage Classic's will be re-issued "Seventh Star and The Eternal Idol" that will feature the Swan-gater talents of Rock N Blues Vocalist/BADLANDS Ray Gillen. That's nice!!!!! Look forward to that! peace.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:45 pm

bernidb wrote:According to Blabbermouth.net, there will be some re-issues of the post Dio Sabbath albums Seventh Star and The Eternal Idol which will feature some material sung by Ray Gillen.

From Blabbermouth:
"The Eternal Idol" remastered deluxe expanded edition adds two single B-sides from "The Shining" — "Black Moon" and "Some Kind Of Woman" — while the second disc brings to CD for the very first time the complete album session originally recorded by the late Ray Gillen.

This sounds killer. RIP Ray, you were a monster. :(

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=146209

I highly agree what a great Vocal-range the Swan-gater RAY GILLEN was Blessed with. And although his time here on Earth was short lived: the legendary BADLANDS Blues/Rocker man definately stamped his unique Musicianship/Vocals in Music History. Like I've mentioned above look forward to this BLACK SABBATH vintage-treasure "The Eternel Idol & Seventh Star" that he worked on with Founder/Leader legend-Icon TONI IOMMI.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:17 am

This should be really cool, I would absolutely LOVE to hear the first version of the Blue Murder album with Ray's vocals. Not knocking John Sykes vocal ability because he's great also, but anything with Ray on it needs to be heard.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:17 am

I already have a copy of the Ray Demos..(obviously a bootleg bought about 15 years ago) wonder if they'll be anything different...although I imagine the quailty will be perfect!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 am

That is awesome, but what about Tyr and Born Again? Those are epic Sabbath albums.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:24 am

Staying with the Sabbath link, I'd love to hear the demos Jake did with Dio also, we will probably never see/hear those.

All Access Member

Postby bernidb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Oh man! Don't get me started on Born Again.

Classic stuff. One of my all time favourite Sabbath albums.
It's so heavy. Everyone talks about the shitty sound but I just think it sounds raw. Love it. Ian Gillan was a weird choice but it totally worked and the songs are killer. It even had Bill Ward on drums.

And that sick cover. :twisted:

Screw it, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

I always kinda liked "Born Again" to, Tony just writes such killer riffs and Ian Gillan has always been a favorite of mine. Had forgotten about that record until everyone here mentioned it.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 am

I loved Born Again. I actually saw that tour and though Gillan was amazing. He had the high-pitched shriek from hell. I remember that show well because Sabbath played Rock n' Roll Doctor - which was a surprise, didn't expect that.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm

tedeeoo wrote:I always kinda liked "Born Again" to, Tony just writes such killer riffs and Ian Gillan has always been a favorite of mine. Had forgotten about that record until everyone here mentioned it.

Great record and Sabbath was indeed Born Again. That and "Sabbath's" The Devil You Know are my favorites.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

"The Devil You Know" is bad-ass, Ronnie just gave Sabbath such a different dimension to their sound. As much as I like Ozzy, "Heaven and Hell" is my all-time favorite Sabbath song and one of my favorite songs period, everything on TDYK is of that same caliber.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:26 pm

It will be awesome to hear some more work from Ray Gillen :D His work in Sun Red Sun was good but it was only a few songs and it is well known that Ray was very ill at the time of those recordings. However this Re-release of the Sabbath stuff with him singing on it will probably capture Ray at the height of his powers . To sad he left us so soon :(

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Charvelised wrote:I already have a copy of the Ray Demos..(obviously a bootleg bought about 15 years ago) wonder if they'll be anything different...although I imagine the quailty will be perfect!

the quality won't be like the released album only with ray singing because ray's never went through mixing or mastering stage should still be a great listen cause I haven't heard it before

tedeeoo wrote:I would absolutely LOVE to hear the first version of the Blue Murder album with Ray's vocals. Not knocking John Sykes vocal ability because he's great also, but anything with Ray on it needs to be heard.

8O man I didn't even know ray had done vocals for it...either that or I have forgotten over the years :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:12 am

I'm pretty sure Ray only recorded Too Late. I doubt the rest of the album had been written at that point. plus wasn't Tony Martin brought in after Ray? So Vally of the Kings definitely wouldn't have been written yet.
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Next

Return to Free for all...