New Sabbath Re-issues featuring Ray Gillen

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: New Sabbath Re-issues featuring Ray Gillen

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:52 am

I read that the whole Blue Murder record was recorded with Ray singing because John wasn't sure he could handle both the vocals and guitars live. And I'm fairly sure I've seen John (and maybe Carmine also) say that somewhere to and that he has the tapes of it. Tony Martin never sang for Blue Murder to my knowledge, he did re-record Ray's vocal parts on whichever Sabbath album is to be re-released.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 am

Tony Martin was considered at one point and he co-wrote Valley Of The Kings.
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:05 am

I see Tony is listed as a co-writer on VOTK, I did not know that, also found where demos of the album were recorded with both Ray and John singing and upon hearing the 2 versions, John Kalodner of Geffen records encouraged John to do them himself. Not sure if those demos were the whole record or not, but am almost sure I have seen either Carmine or John say that the a version of the record does exist with Ray's vocals. Either way, it would be interesting to hear whatever exists. I was listening to the "Bad Boy Live" Sykes album last night and his playing and guitar tone still just blow me away.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:51 pm

If the whole album was done with Ray I think someone would have got it on the internet by now. Too Late has been around for ages!

I would love it if Ray did record the whole thing though!
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Well you would think so, but then again, I would have thought Jake's Dio demos would have leaked by now also. I'd love to hear whatever was recorded even if it was just a few demos.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:43 pm

then again there are people who say the Dio stuff was recorded and others say it wasn't. I'm pretty sure I saw an Interview with RJD where he said there are no Jake Demos but Ive also heard Vinny Appice say there are!

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Yea I think Jimmy Bain has said they exist also, maybe one day Jake will write a book and clear all this (as well as many other things) up, lol!!!!! I wouldn't hold my breath though, lol!!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 am

I doubt Jake will write a book. Someone might write a book about him though.

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Just listened to the re-issues of The Eternal Idol and Seventh Star w/ Ray. Nice to hear the Eternal Idol tracks w/ Ray's vox in a much better quality than the boots that have been floating around. Just a note...The 2nd Cd featuring Ray is pre-production. It doesn't have the same mixing/mastering as the official release from 1987. For me personally, I like it better as the guitar is a little louder, keys are quieter and the production is a little more raw...less polished. Great to hear this stuff finally with the sonic quality it deserves.

As for the Seventh Star re-issue...it has been long-documented that this was to be a solo record for Tony Iommi but the record company insisted on the Sabbath moniker. Ray had nothing to do w/ the recording of this album. However, he was brought in only a few shows into the tour due to Glenn Hughes' (another one of my fav singers) short-falls due to an alleged substance problem. The 2nd disc for this release features a full live show w/ Ray at the Hammersmith Odeon for the Seventh Star tour. This has also been floating around as a poor-quality boot. Again, it's great to hear this show in an official release.

My hat's off to Tony Iommi for including this material for the Deluxe releases. Both studio releases (4 discs total) include Eric Singer (original Badlands drummer and current drummer for KISS) and they are an homage to Ray's involvement with the band. The cd's seem to be available in limited quantities on amazon.com. Be sure to get them.

Happy Holidays!
Jimi Forrest

P.S. Been a while...glad to be back : )

Secret Loser

Postby alfamy1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

CharvelSuperStrat wrote: Someone might write a book about him though.

yes :!:
++ all these interviews ........ :arrow: :arrow: :idea:
#### WOOD LOVE TO SEE JAKE E SURROUNDED WITH
LOADS OF EFFECTS AND MUSIC INSTRUMENTZ LIKELY A MUSIC-LABORATORY !! ####

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 am

My main man Ronnie James Dio saved Sabbath. They were about to get booted from there record company. In comes Dio. Made the best Metal album ever in" Heaven and Hell' and saved them. Put them back on the map. The follow up "Mob Rules" is also a classic! Dio was on three perfect albums Rainbow's "Rainbow Rising, Sabbath's Heaven and Hell" and Dio's "Holy Diver"
RJD Rip

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Shemp wrote:My main man Ronnie James Dio saved Sabbath. They were about to get booted from there record company. In comes Dio. Made the best Metal album ever in" Heaven and Hell' and saved them. Put them back on the map. The follow up "Mob Rules" is also a classic! Dio was on three perfect albums Rainbow's "Rainbow Rising, Sabbath's Heaven and Hell" and Dio's "Holy Diver"
RJD Rip

Yes sir!!! and perhaps "Last In Line" was very close to also being perfect. :twisted:

Previous

Return to Free for all...