Distortion Pedals

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Distortion Pedals

Postby dillivered » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Here is a really cool unit! the SAS in particular IMO

Fryette Amplification

Killer of Giants

Re: Distortion Pedals

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

I have yet to find a distortion pedal I like to use. I always end up going to the natural amp's distortion. Not sure if it is just me.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby dillivered » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:13 am

I have one I like, but they don't make it any more, the Morley Deluxe Distortion... I have a single channel amp so it comes in handy!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 am

I have a modded metal zone that was done by Mark Humphrey. I sounds really good for really hard metal.

I also have a Zoom Hyper Lead that is one of the best distortion pedals I have heard. It is an analog pedal and getting hard to find. I got mine off a friend who had two and wanted to unload one.

Still, I prefer that natural tube distortion you can only get from glowing glass pushing the hell out of tube power circuit. :lol:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 am

I personally own and use an old SansAmp GT2 by Tech 21. You are able to get a Rammstein like sounds from it. I have heard for a hi-gain pedals from England under the brand Blackstar and sound amazing for lead guitar with tones of gain. They are pretty much what Gus G used on the Ozzy tour 2010 (350$).

@ Mr. Metal you are pretty right for the natural amp's distortion. But you have to put some overdrive pedal to tighten up the lower end in front of it. For example digitech's bad monkey with drive knob set to 0/off .

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 pm

I have a Carvin Legacy. I use a MXR distortion just mainly for a boost now and then.. I like the tube distortion. Anything you put in between takes away from the sound in my opinon. Never realy found a distortion pedal that knocked me out.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Carvin MTS 3212 combo (on top of a Basson 2x 12) I like my SD-1 to just boost the leads that need to stand out. But thats an overdrive not a distortion.
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:24 pm

I also have a Carvin MTS. It's a bit hotter than the Legacy. Great amp. They don't make them anymore. And yeah the MXR distortion pedal is a overdrive. Randy Rhoads used it.

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Tube amp distortion all the way.Pedal`s alway`s sound to synthetic for me.
Mr Metal,you`ve owned a Dual Rectifier if memory serve`s me correct?
What`s wrong with head?I`ve used mine for 16 year`s.It has plenty of gain
and bottom end.The only thing that would factor in,is what type of pickup`s you use.

Hope your well.

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree Tube Amp distortion all the way. Nothing can compair in my book.

Postby charveldan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am

I agree, I've always been a fan of tube distortion with an occasional clean boost pedal.

Based all all the reviews, I did pick up a Suhr Riot pedal. Just received it today and can't wait to check it out.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Shemp wrote:I agree Tube Amp distortion all the way. Nothing can compair in my book.

Agreed, I only use my BOSS-Metalzone when I use my small Randall 15 watt amp to keep the Mrs. happy. I usually go through the headphones with my POD XT live board.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:35 pm

mrmetal wrote:I have yet to find a distortion pedal I like to use. I always end up going to the natural amp's distortion. Not sure if it is just me.

Same here, I have pretty much always played out of a couple of JCM800's and use very few pedals, I use an old boss overdrive when I solo, delay etc, about it, never really even got in to rack gear :)

Return to Free for all...