BLIZZARD/DIARY boxset trailer

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

BLIZZARD/DIARY boxset trailer

Postby sytharnia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Man this thing looks awesome...not that happy about having to buy a box to see the DVD...but damn LIVE randy rhoads is a must have

http://vimeo.com/21420544

All Access Member

Re: BLIZZARD/DIARY boxset trailer

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:43 am

I agree, seeing those clips of Randy playing live was almost eerie (in a good way). It will be well worth it for anyone who is a fan of guitar to get this.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

That looks wicked, I love looking back at old Randy and Ozzy stuff, was a brilliant time in music :)

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Man That Looks Killer. I have studied Randy's solos and they are pieces of music within the song. So killer the combination of scales he would use. Big influence on my playing.

Postby CodyW » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

I would like to buy this, but I'm worried that the bass and drums will be replaced. They might have brick-walled the recording as well.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 am

CodyW wrote:I would like to buy this, but I'm worried that the bass and drums will be replaced. They might have brick-walled the recording as well.

No the drums and bass have been restored to bob and lee thankfully.....the 30mins live palladium footage has the live audio from that show (1st set)

as far as brick walling the recordings I think there is a good chance that will be the case...it seems to be the way remastering is done these days which is a shame

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 pm

You know they had already remastered the original recording`s almost ten year`s ago(if memory serve`s me correct ) .The one`s with Daisely and Kerslake.They did them in 22 bit.They actually sound great.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:52 am

Yep this one isn't it?? (or is this one from around 95)

I remember the bark at the moon version of these they messed with jake's parts a bit and it was a little annoying having bits of his playing lower in the mix than they should be

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:03 pm

sytharnia wrote:Yep this one isn't it?? (or is this one from around 95)

I remember the bark at the moon version of these they messed with jake's parts a bit and it was a little annoying having bits of his playing lower in the mix than they should be

That`s it.....95?........has it been that long?

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Shemp wrote:Man That Looks Killer. I have studied Randy's solos and they are pieces of music within the song. So killer the combination of scales he would use. Big influence on my playing.

I agree Shemp, probably the first guitarist that could be mentioned in the same breath with Eddie Van Halen. EVH's solos were Clapton/Holdsworth licks on steroids while Randy was creating musical pieces within pieces of music (like you correctly stated). I think Randy really shines on Mr Crowley and Revelation (Mother Earth) where he was allowed to spread his wings and dabble with different musical scales and shapes. I think my favorite tune has to be Diary Of A Madman. The intro was a classic warmup Randy learned from a teacher but he used it to create the eery mood to close out that album. The guy was so gifted and amazingly humble. When I used to take lessons from George Lynch's dojo, George would tell some stories about Randy and how unassuming he was. Randy was just as eager to share what he learned as he was to learn new techniques. George showed him the tapping sequence that was later used for the "Flying High Again" solo. George would use that pattern himself on "Tooth And Nail".

All Access Member

Postby Shemp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow you took lessions from george lynch! That must have been amazing MR Scary!! Like I have said before lynch's tone from his Dokken days is the tone I have been chasing forever. Was anything said about how he got his tone?
Rock On Brother!
Left is Right!

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm

George (Lynch) is someone that it would be really cool to sit and talk with, he obviously knew both Randy and Jake, and apparently to a lesser degree EVH. He was right at the front of the big movement that gave us so many great guitar players in the late 70's/early 80's and I've heard him say many times that Jake was one of the baddest guitar players he has ever heard.

Hey Scary, you got anymore stories from the dojo? Those would be really cool to hear.

Ted

Postby thewalk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Hopefully by now everyone has seen the article "Randy Rhoads Documentary - Bob Daisley Speaks Out", located at http://www.bobdaisley.com/article-randydoc.html.
I found this article very enlightening. This movie is a long time coming, but it will not be as good as it could have been with another producer.
Long live Randy.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:08 pm

thewalk wrote:Hopefully by now everyone has seen the article "Randy Rhoads Documentary - Bob Daisley Speaks Out", located at http://www.bobdaisley.com/article-randydoc.html.
I found this article very enlightening. This movie is a long time coming, but it will not be as good as it could have been with another producer.
Long live Randy.

That link doesn't work now.....

The doco won't be in this boxset and from this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYK_P22u9w ) interview with kelle rhoads it is very doubtful it will ever come out

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Shemp wrote:Wow you took lessions from george lynch! That must have been amazing MR Scary!! Like I have said before lynch's tone from his Dokken days is the tone I have been chasing forever. Was anything said about how he got his tone?
Rock On Brother!
Left is Right!

Shemp, a lot of what George employs depends on what he hears when he wakes up. He is a self-proclaimed tone chaser and his ear changes on a daily basis. For Under Lock And Key he used modded 1970-1971 Marshalls by Lee Jackson. His big secret is using 4 amps all miked differently with 2 Marshalls and 2 Laneys. The Laneys were preamped with BOSS chrous pedals while the Marshalls were put into a tiled bathroom (LOL, im not kidding). His 16 mics were all bussed into a sick EQ (UREI 530). His guitar tech is a great guy (Gerry Canadan) and he always spills some beans. George uses EMG-81s and his sig Duncan Screamin Demons. The Green Kamikaze was mainly used for ULAK. OH and he used a Rockman Distortion generator with he thinks a TUBE Screamer on other tracks. Ill PM you with some more info.

Next

Return to Free for all...