New Van Halen

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

New Van Halen

Postby dave1021 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 am

OK, It's been out almost a week and we've yet to discuss the new Van Halen disk "A Different Kind Of Truth". I personally think it's pretty darn GOOD. I do miss Michael Anthony's vocals, but the rest of the disk is solid. I really dig the guitar tones and the drum production. Dave's vocals and Eddie's playing soung great. Tattoo is probably the weakest tune on the disk (IMO). Yes 7 of the tunes are refreshed demo's from the old days, but six of them aren't. They all sound fresh to my ears. ALL the songs are better than the NEW tunes they put on "The Best Of Both Worlds" double disk.
Just my 2 cents, discuss.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: New Van Halen

Postby guitarninja » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I too give this a thumbs up, Eddie sounds like Eddie, and Alex sounds good too. Will have to spin it a few more times to sink it in, but from a guitar standpoint, there are some good riffs in there. I am happy with this release for whatever that is worth.
gn

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Sounds exciting and do wish the charismatic kick-buns Legendary VAN HALEN continue success with thier newest album recording and up and coming Tour 2012 & beyond. I bet it's going to be a Trailblazing Concert Event(s) :!:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 am

They play here (Louisville, KY) this Saturday night.

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi All,
I`m surprised there was`nt a bigger thread on this subject. I have to agree that it`s a good ,overall album. There is a lot of tasty guitar.My only wish would be for Eddie to use a Splawn amp to recreate his "Brown Sound"
properly .His new amp`s give to much of a compressed tone. i miss the old tone from the early album`s.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 am

There's is another thread that's 4 pages now, Shredder. I went to their opening concert last Sat. night. My thoughts and the set list is included on it.

Postby Fretman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Aside from Tattoo, I think it's solid. I love Eddie's playing on this, but I wish he would put the wah back in the closet.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 pm

With the exception of Tattoo, this CD harkens back to the pre-keyboard glory days. It's truly an excellent slab of music, with some great funky and creative music on it. And Dave sounds great, too. The A&R guy that put recommended Tattoo as the lead off single should be fired...into space.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 am

Ed's having some serious medical issues.
http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/08/30/ed ... d%3D199117

Return to Free for all...