Musicians carreer bounce

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Musicians carreer bounce

Postby Fakeblue » Wed May 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello board.

One question that keeps coming to my mind is how can a music person keep food on the table and a roof over his head when his carreer starts to fade away ? It's no secret that even the best bands ever all fall together saying it is much harder to stay on top than to reach the top. You just have to take a quick look at all 80's giants, Maiden, Judas, Helloween, Wasp, they all made 3 or 4 legendary albums and then went down. What to do then ? Do they become music teachers or write chronicals in music magazines ?

I'd love to hear some news about my beloved 80's geniuses.

Killer of Giants

Re: Musicians carreer bounce

Postby Doobie » Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 am

Maiden and Priest still tour.

Postby kendra » Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Strange question Fakeblue, have you volontarily chosen that name to troll around ? After done some travelling it seems to me most of your posts have nothing to do on a music board. The most ridiculous is this one : http://jakeelee.com/html/testconvert/vi ... 5&start=75

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm

One thing we never think of when we are younger is making an actual living! When I was a teen and really into metal (I still am!) I thought rock stars must lead hunky dory lives, and then I met some, and found out life more complicated for them than it is for the rest of us. No one can really control whether or not their career in the entertainment biz stays on top. Of course not getting into drugs can help, but it never seemed to affect Ozzy's career; in fact, it probably helped it! His career is based on image and turning negative actions into positive. It all adds to the mystique. A player like Jake, or Lynch, is primarily known for their quality, and not an image. And, unfortunately, talent only gets you so far in the music biz, which is about the biz and not the music. I met lots of agents and managers over the years who had a real love for music, but had to compromise to make a living and sign and manage bubblegum pop and glam bands and hip hoppers to make a living. Not everyone at the business end of the entertainment biz is soulless, but business always comes down to numbers and that's just the way it is. When I was playing clubs in the 80s and early 90s a lot of the musicians I knew had families, or at least, children, and that was a complication as well. I knew one guy who had been trying to make it for over twenty years! He was about 40 and had a son he was always trying to spend time with, and luckily his girlfriend was an attorney and helped him, a starving musician, get custody. He was almost bald and wore a wig and was the front man in a quartet, and had come to L.A. from Brooklyn when disco was hot, so by the time I had met this guy he had been playing in L.A. for over twelve years! He used to tell people he was 25. I think he was 25 for 25 years. He was playing clubs in New York when KISS,Twisted Sister and the Dolls were on the club scene, and was still trying to make it in L.A. in the days when every band wanted to be Crue, Guns, or Metallica. When musicians came to L.A. to get a shot at fame in the 80s they really put everything on the line, and for every band that made it, there were ten thousand who would never get anywhere. If you went to a concert at The Forum or Long Beach Arena in the 80s you would see that a quarter of the audience were musicians and groupies you knew from the club scene, sometimes with their families it tow, as though going to see Maiden was a family picnic. That was a whole subculture that is totally gone now. There is no groupie scene like there was in the 80s. Nor is there the very large music endorsement racket like there used to be, where you could count on all the Kramers and Ludwig sets selling out of a Guitar Center within 24 hours of Van Halen coming to town. In those days equipment manufacturers could actually estimate how much they would sell in a region by the tours that went through the area. Guns and Roses coming to Philly meant they were going to sell a lot of Les Pauls in the region. Crue coming to Cleveland meant lots of Paiste Cymbals and Kramers in greater Cleveland. Cheap Trick meant Hamers in Chicago, but there were always Hamers in Chicago. It's a very different world today, a world in which kids don't learn instruments like they used to and grow up thinking of a DJ as a musician.

Return to Free for all...