New Guitar Amp Opinion.

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

New Guitar Amp Opinion.

Postby macheted01 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Alright folks, I am in the market for a new amp head to run my 2 single 12" Genz Benz cabinets. I used to an Ampeg V2 (Late 70's early 80's model), running a 4x12. Got rid of it some time ago to go for one of these new micro tube type heads. I play in small venues where a 20 watt head is all I would ever need. In any case was looking at these.

The Carvin V3M Micro Head which is actually a 50 watt head and has all the bells and whistles. Biggest price tag at $549.00

The Blackstar Venue Series HT Studio 20H 20W which is prett loaded too, with a prrice tag at $499.00. I know I can get into this one cheaper at GC.

The Egnater Rebel 20 which has the least features, but comes in at $399.00, which most get into cheaper as well at GC.

I dont have the luxury of going to a store to try out the Carvin. If I am lucky, the local GC which is still like 45 minutes away would have the other two in stock to try out, when the time comes. I was just wondering if anybody here has had any expeience with any of these? I have checked the reviews and sound samples on youtube. They all seem to rate pretty good. Currently just using a Crate Powerblock to run these and will always keep it for backup. To the players, what are some of your thoughts?

All Access Member

Re: New Guitar Amp Opinion.

Postby macheted01 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 am

Just an update to this. I ended up going with a Jet City JCA20H. Straight forward with no bells and whistles. I know, it is totally off the board of what I was looking at to begin with. Scored it for $170.00 on ebay. Could not pass it up. The reason I went for this are because there are a ton of mods that can be done to it and some I could do myself. Love the head and the tone that this little thing produces.
I have been playing around with Amplitude through my Ipod Touch and an Irig, which is what I use for silent rehearsal. Out of curiousity, I was wondering what this thing would sound like through a clean amp. I have a couple possiblities for such an application. One would be to use just the power section on my Crate Powerblock, but I opted to plug into my Bose Compact, which is even far more from a traditional guitar rig. I have to say, I am not wanting to play anything else right now. It is bad ass and alot of fun to play. I took this rig over to my drummers place and he could not believe it. While pretty conveniant, it has its obvious drawbacks. Most old school players would skoff at it.
So I have an IK Multimedia Irig Stomp pedal on its way to make setup a little more traditional. I have not yet tried it out though my Crate Powerblock into my 2 single 12"s, but will.
One other amp that I seen that would be ideal for such a rig would be the Tech 21 Power Engine. Looks pretty promising for this. Would love to hear from anybody that has played around with such a hookup and what you thought about it.

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 pm

I played a Blackstar recently and was REALLY impressed. I was checking out a guitar and the sales guy plugged me into it. I didn't even want him to, but he just picked that himself and once I started playing I was almost regretting the new amp I got a few months ago. Really sweet sounding amp. It's like the sound of some really high end stuff in an affordable off brand package. I was really shocked.

Sorry, wasn't trying to go against what you ended up choosing, but I saw you mention the Blackstar and had to chime in.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 am

Hey, no problem. Yeah, one of the other local players has one and he really likes the Blackstar as well. Great amp at a great price point. Going to a friends house later on today to play through a Carvin V3M and check that out. Thats how it always works. I waited for awhile before I made a move on this and now other options are popping up. It all good though.

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 am

I ended up getting the 5150III 50 watt head with the 2X12 cab. Incredible gear in the EVH line.

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 am

If you can afford the EVH line seasons talked about then you should go with that as its an astonishing combination.

Return to Free for all...