Good old underground metal, Helstar...

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Good old underground metal, Helstar...

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:03 pm

X is great, I must be with you because I think the same thing.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 am

Well, Mr. Metal, since I know who you are now, are you into a band called Pyramaze? :-) Lance King is the lead vocalist, ex-Balance of Power. Anyway, their stuff is really cool, and they'll be playing ProgPower this year.

Pyramaze has a new one coming out in February called, The Legend of the Bone Carver. It's a concept album, so I'm looking forward to it. If you're not familiar with them, then you need to check them out. They have some sound clips on www. pyramaze.com

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. I haven't been paying attention to music lately. Too many other things going on. I know about Balance of Power. Pretty good group. I will check into Pyramaze.

I haven't even thought about Atlanta (ProgPower) this year.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:56 pm

He's only released two bands from the lineup so far, so not much is going on with it anyway.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Who are they?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:19 pm

mrmetal wrote:Who are they?

Sorry Metal, I've missed your post. So far he's put up Pyramaze, Wastefall, Savage Sircus, and Epica.

I don't have a clue who Wastefall is. I think Savage Sircus is a Blind Guardian sound alike. Epica is the female lead band in the vein of Nightwish or Within Temptation (my personal favorite). Pyramaze will kick you in the teeth...they remind me alot of Jag Panzer and Iced Earth.

Lance King (Pyramaze frontman) is a class act to meet too!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:22 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...............Helstar. I grew up in Houston and had a band at the same time that Helstar was coming up. I was like 13 or 14 when we played at a local battle of the bands put on by a local music store in pasadena. There was only about 5 bands that showed up. We all played and the quality of all the bands was marginal at best. ( including mine) Well, as the last band finished, a couple of vans rolled up and several long haired duded started rolling our with Marshall stackes and a double bass Tama drum kit and laying out flash pods and all this stuff. Mind you we all palyed on the musicx stores crappy stuff. Anyway, these guys broke into there set and layed everyones ears back. We just all staired with eyes and jaws wide open as the guys blew us all away. This band was Helstar and needless to say, they won.

We went on to battle them several times over the years until they signed with Metal blade. They always beat us. I remember playing at a huge house party once and the members from Helstar were right there in the front of the crowd watching.

Here are a couple of photos from that first Battle. The color photo is of me on the drums and my brother on guitar. The black and white photo is of a guitar player from Helstar. I don't remember his name. You can tell how crappy the set up was from the stage made of pallets. This would have been 1982.

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Wow, that means that you're pretty old. :lol: Just kidding. That must be one experience to remember. :o

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:32 pm

I am getting older yes. 37 to be exact. It was a fun time.

Previous

Return to Free for all...