Rough Cutt

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Rough Cutt

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:42 am

Over the break, I bought the latest Wounded Bird Records reissue of the first two Rough Cutt albums. You can buy them on a two on one deal. The first being the self titled and the second being Rough Cutt Wants You. Is anyone a fan of these guys?

I know that Jake had an early connection with this band, but what I didn't know about was Dio's connection!

Anyway, the self title debut is awesome IMO! Paul Shortino is one heck of a lead vocalist! The sophomore effort is ok, but not anything ground breaking.

If you've never checked this band out, do so, because they're a hidden gem.

Killer of Giants

Re: Rough Cutt

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:07 am

Dio produced their albums and Wendy managed them. They were a good band. I saw them on one of the many Dio tours I have witnessed over the years.

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:26 am

I heard a few Rough Cutt tracks with Jake quite a while ago. "Used And Abused" and "A Little Kindness". I think that is how Ronnie met Jake aswell.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:08 pm

mrmetal wrote:Dio produced their albums and Wendy managed them. They were a good band. I saw them on one of the many Dio tours I have witnessed over the years.

Yeah, a buddy of mine said that he saw Rough Cutt open for Dio on the Sacred Heart Tour. I bet that was a great show! My friend said that he can't really remember it due to being drunk! I'm like geeze, c'mon, why? why? :roll:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:44 pm

That is great news to hear, Poets. I've looked and looked for the first one on cd to no avail. Good news, indeed!

Dio's Sacred Heart tour with Rough Cutt opening was ab fab. Rough Cutt could rock your sox off. Shortino's voice was of a different sort, but an awesome kind of different sort. Yep, that tour makes for great memories.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:37 am

Been A fan Right from the beginning, Being a singer myself it's hard to deny Paul Shortino his place amongst the Best singers!
Although the songs themselves are a little Dated now!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:53 am

I think that jake should play for Dio that would rock and I think would show all that true metal aint Dead
The artist formally known as Brawler

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:26 am

It didn't work with Dio more than 20 years ago, I don't see how it would work now.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:31 am

Jake is To good to Join any Existing band!
I'm sure Jake has Too many Ideas to take orders from the Dios of this world..who frankly still thinks it's 1983!
If one Listens to Killing the Dragon it Very Dated! Even with the Wonderfull Doug Aldrich Bending the legatos!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 am

Charvelised wrote:Jake is To good to Join any Existing band!
I'm sure Jake has Too many Ideas to take orders from the Dios of this world..who frankly still thinks it's 1983!
If one Listens to Killing the Dragon it Very Dated! Even with the Wonderfull Doug Aldrich Bending the legatos!

I guess I happen to like the "dated sound". I wish hard rock music would get back to some that sound along the lines of elite bands like: Journey, Rough Cutt, Survivor, Dio, 80's Maiden, etc.

As for Killing the Dragon, I think it's a fantastic album. I'm not exactly sure what sound you dig, but if you think the toned down, non-technical sound of modern rock is a good thing, then I'm not sure why you're a Jake fan.

Most of today's main hard rock bands don't do guitar solos because he/she can't play that well! There are a few exceptions of course, like Mark Tremonti from Creed/Altar Bridge.

Altar Bridge's debut, now that's a great modern rock disc, IMO of course.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:27 am

Doobie wrote:That is great news to hear, Poets. I've looked and looked for the first one on cd to no avail. Good news, indeed!

Dio's Sacred Heart tour with Rough Cutt opening was ab fab. Rough Cutt could rock your sox off. Shortino's voice was of a different sort, but an awesome kind of different sort. Yep, that tour makes for great memories.

I agree! That self titled album alone has been posted on Amazon for $80.00! No, thank you......

I'm glad there are a few independent lables like Wounded Bird willing to re-issue some of the overlooked stuff from the 80s.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:30 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:That self titled album alone has been posted on Amazon for $80.00!

:(
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:33 am

When I say dated I wasn't Refering to the sound but the lyric content!
Dio has sounded the same with Viv, Craig and Doug..I don't even remember the guy inbetween!
I'm a Jake fan because I am a Ray Gillen fan and when Ray joined Jake for Badlands I Found Jake More than Just a metal Guitarist.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:34 am

MetalHead wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:That self titled album alone has been posted on Amazon for $80.00!

:(

Why the sad face?

That's what I'm saying, you can buy the s/t and Rough Cutt Wants You brand new for a normal CD price.

Wounded Bird has re-issued them on a two on one disc this year. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear or not, so that's why I'm telling you this.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:01 am

Charvelised wrote:When I say dated I wasn't Refering to the sound but the lyric content!
Dio has sounded the same with Viv, Craig and Doug..I don't even remember the guy inbetween!
I'm a Jake fan because I am a Ray Gillen fan and when Ray joined Jake for Badlands I Found Jake More than Just a metal Guitarist.

I'm sorry if I sounded like a know it all! :roll: I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were refering to the music itself, not lyrics. I get too touchy when people say that modern rock is better that the 70s and 80s stuff. :D I took that out of what you were saying and I shouldn't have. I probably take it too serious at times.

Thanks for being a good sport about it!

Next

Return to Free for all...