Great White

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Great White

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu May 11, 2006 3:53 am

Hello blues-rock fans ,
I would like to start here an official thread about one of my favorite bands The Great White Sharks :) I dunno why they are not so famous now but they are still touring and making new songs/albums. I think you're familiar at least with their excellent melodic ballads. They've been big influence to me when I was teeenager .How do you like them as a overall sound ,stage presence ,guitar work ?
Now lead axeman Mark Kendall has released two different albums for a couple of months : his solo project 2.0 (two point zero) and The Train Station debut (brand new).I got first one and have to say it is very nice piece of music with lots of hard rhythm parts ,couple of acoustics and Kendall himself on vocals :)

All Access Member

Re: Great White

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 11, 2006 6:10 am

Honestly, I've always thought Great White is one of the most overrated bands to come out of the 80s era. That's just my personal opinion though.

My top picks from them are Old Rose Motel and Hooked. I actually own Thank You...Goodnight, which is an extremly rare find for these guys. It's a release of their last live performance on a French Label called Knight Records. For some reason the disc was taken off of the store shelves only a few days after its release, which I find interesting.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

And if you go to a Great White show, be sure to bring your personal fire fighting gear in case they break out the pyros.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Thu May 11, 2006 2:20 pm

'Rock Me' is my favorite song by Great White. It's a gritty, bluesy song, that's long (like 7 minutes). It would be cool to see that song live in a small crowded club with some jamming.

Mark Kendall will never be considered a a guitar hero, but was certainly very good and tried to have his own style. Coincidentally, there's an interview in GFTPM from 1989, with Jake and Mark Kendall. Mark Kendall was talking about doing some solo work back then!

Great White, as a band, fell victim to having to put out the top 40 rock ballad, back in the late 80's / early 90's
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 pm

LouZ wrote:'Rock Me' is my favorite song by Great White. It's a gritty, bluesy song, that's long (like 7 minutes). It would be cool to see that song live in a small crowded club with some jamming.

Mark Kendall will never be considered as a guitar hero, but was certainly very good and tried to have his own style. Coincidentally, there's an interview in GFTPM from 1989, with Jake and Mark Kendall. Mark Kendall was talking about doing some solo work back then!

Great White, as a band, fell victim to having to put out the top 40 rock ballad, back in the late 80's / early 90's

Rock Me is in my top list too I am going to ask my bandmates to work on it. You're right about Kendall ,he is not a serial shredder or blues cliches guitar player .He got the melody this is it. What does "GFTPM " mean is it magazine ? Could you scan it and post the interview here ?

mrmetal wrote:And if you go to a Great White show, be sure to bring your personal fire fighting gear in case they break out the pyros.

That was really bad coincidence .

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu May 11, 2006 6:19 pm

I like Great White. Mark Kendall never got the props he deserved. Very good blusey rock guitarist IMO.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Thu May 11, 2006 7:31 pm

GFTPM is "Guitar for the Practicing Musician". I guess the magazine is still around as Guitar Magazine. I really don't read the magazines these days. There's not much guitar music to get excited about.

If you look in the photo archives, there are a couple of photos of Jake and Mark Kendall. It's from this issue (sometime in 1989 when Great White/Tesla/Badlands were touring together)

I have to find the magazine(it's in a storage box in my parents home), and Jeff would have to ok the scanning and posting of the article.

'Rock Me' is on my list of songs I want to karaoke at a local bar
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Postby Fretman » Fri May 12, 2006 6:39 am

Great White's former manager was just sentenced to four years in jail for the fire in RI. What a crock of shit. If the club owners hadn't given the band permission to use pyro after having sound proofed the place with flamable materials, and after filling the club to 3-4 times the capacity the whole thing would have never happened.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri May 12, 2006 12:11 pm

Fretman wrote:Great White's former manager was just sentenced to four years in jail for the fire in RI. What a crock of shit. If the club owners hadn't given the band permission to use pyro after having sound proofed the place with flamable materials, and after filling the club to 3-4 times the capacity the whole thing would have never happened.

I haven't heard about that. I'll check it out.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri May 12, 2006 1:20 pm

LouZ wrote:If you look in the photo archives, there are a couple of photos of Jake and Mark Kendall. It's from this issue (sometime in 1989 when Great White/Tesla/Badlands were touring together)

That was a good tour-my only time seeing Badlands.

Poets, here's an article about Great White's manager:

http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=215685

Great White live were just...okay. But maybe that's because I was more into Badlands and Tesla 8) My two favorite songs by them are Rock Me and Mista Bone. :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri May 12, 2006 4:57 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fretman wrote:Great White's former manager was just sentenced to four years in jail for the fire in RI. What a crock of shit. If the club owners hadn't given the band permission to use pyro after having sound proofed the place with flamable materials, and after filling the club to 3-4 times the capacity the whole thing would have never happened.

I haven't heard about that. I'll check it out.

I was just about to say that, but I thought I would scroll down and see if anyone mentioned it......We even heard about that here in Australia, was on the news just this week. I feel sorry for the manager, I think he got used as a scape goat, coz he actually got permission. :(

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri May 12, 2006 8:04 pm

I've always thought Great White is what Poison would sound like with a hangover. Geez, what a horrible tragedy. Wasn't Michael Jackson in on that pyro mishap? LOL Don't mind me, I'm being silly.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat May 13, 2006 12:11 am

frethead wrote:I've always thought Great White is what Poison would sound like with a hangover.

That is one of the best posts I have ever read! :twisted:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby rockinrye » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:08 pm

What I likedabout Great White was Mark Kendall's sound . Yes Jack Russel sounds a little too much like Robert Plant , but the guitar player was awesome.

If you listen too the opening track on Hooked " Call It Rock % Roll during the opeing riff of the song you an planly hear Jack say " sound familar?"

One of the few Hard rock bands I am kickin myseld in the ass cuz I never saw them live.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:57 pm

I've been a Great White fan since the begining. I saw them on the Hooked tour....I really like the way Mark Kendall plays...He has an agressive and bluesy style that I really like. That show also holds a special place in my heart 'cuz that's where I met my wife! :D A few years later, when we were actually together, we saw them again and it was all that much more special! Whenever I hear the song "Afterglow" the memories come rushing back...Great band, great song, great memories. :) It's tragic what's happened since then. I wouldn't wish that kind of tragedy on my worst enemy. My heart goes out to the victims, their families and the band.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Next

Return to Free for all...