Dio anyone?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Dio anyone?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:35 am

Has anyone bought this DVD and watched it yet? Doug Aldrich is the lead guitarist in it, so do you need to know anything else?

Killer of Giants

Re: Dio anyone?

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:22 am

Haven't been able to find it. But when I do, HELL YEAH!!!

Doug is the man!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:15 am

mrmetal wrote:Haven't been able to find it. But when I do, HELL YEAH!!!

Doug is the man!

Yeah, it's not been distributed too well that's for sure! I've got it ordered from my local CD store, so I should have it by the end of the week. It's received really good reviews on Amazon.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:27 am

I heard Dio had a cold when they recorded it and some of the CD tracks I heard are not Dio's best. But....even on a bad day, RJD can still sing his ass off and blow away alot of people....

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:30 am

mrmetal wrote:I heard Dio had a cold when they recorded it and some of the CD tracks I heard are not Dio's best. But....even on a bad day, RJD can still sing his ass off and blow away alot of people....

I haven't heard that about RJD. I heard the same thing when Black Sabbath recorded Cross Purposes Live with Tony Martin, but I could never really tell.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:34 am

That is an excellent DVD! I love Tony Martin! His new album is great!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:36 pm

mrmetal wrote:That is an excellent DVD! I love Tony Martin! His new album is great!

Do you have the VHS or the DVD version? I'm thinking the VHS wasn't cut, but the DVD supposedly is. Anyway, I had the VHS, but sold it on Amazon.com for like $40 believe it or not! I made myself a copy of it though! :wink:

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:08 am

I have the DIO devine evil DVD live in New York. Its not to bad.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:20 am

It would be cool to see RJD work with Rowan Robinson again! or better Yet evry musician who has ever worked with RJD !!! have everyone do a box set with DIO that would rock . thats alot of metal History there
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Was Doug Aldrich in a band called Lion sometime around the early/mid '80's? I have a casette tape of "Dangerous Attraction"??? i think it was,this had a Doug Aldrich on guitar. Afraid i don't know too much about him.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:16 pm

pejale wrote:Was Doug Aldrich in a band called Lion sometime around the early/mid '80's? I have a casette tape of "Dangerous Attraction"??? i think it was,this had a Doug Aldrich on guitar. Afraid i don't know too much about him.

I believe so. Mr. Metal is a big Aldrich guy, so he'll be able to say for sure, but I believe you're right.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:18 pm

stratattack wrote:It would be cool to see RJD work with Rowan Robinson again! or better Yet evry musician who has ever worked with RJD !!! have everyone do a box set with DIO that would rock . thats alot of metal History there

Yeah, I wish Ronnie would work with Rowan again too. I'm not too sure why Lock Up The Wolves gets a bad rap from some fans? IMO, it's a strong album by the boys. I love the song Angel from that disc, and it's an obscure song by Ronnie too!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:11 am

Well, I finally got my hands on the new Dio DVD, Holy Diver Live. Without spoiling the DVD and talking about a bunch of stuff that you really don't care to hear, if you're a Dio fan, then you need to own this! It's pretty much that simple.

The coolest part for me is to actually hear and see the band perform songs that they no longer perform live. Gypsy being one and Straight Through The Heart being another. I'm not sure if they've ever performed Invisable live before, but it's great to see nevertheless!

Doug Aldrich has a fine performance as usual and it's good to see Rudy Sarzo back in action! I've come to the conclusion that Simon Wright is much better live than he is in the studio. I'm not sure why that is, but that seems to be the case. As for RJD himself, he's the same ol' Dio that we've all grown to love! Vocally, I don't think it's his finest performance, but he's been doing this for 40 years, so he has a right to sound a little rough around the edges!

With that said, PoetsandMadmen gives Holy Diver Live two horns up! \nn/

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:24 am

pejale wrote:Was Doug Aldrich in a band called Lion sometime around the early/mid '80's? I have a casette tape of "Dangerous Attraction"??? i think it was,this had a Doug Aldrich on guitar. Afraid i don't know too much about him.

Yes, same guy. He shreds. What more do you need to know? :twisted:

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:33 am

Oh yeah, Tony Iommi makes a short appearance backstage during the interview portion of the DVD. I found that a little surprising considering Ronnie's history with Sabbath and all. I thought Ronnie left the band the second time on kind of a bad note, so it really surprised me to see Tony backstage!

Next

Return to Free for all...