Help with suggestions!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Help with suggestions!

Postby Jiver » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:42 am

Well, ppl, here's ma dilemna: I am due to play a wkend, 06/16-06/17 in Ea. Wa with my "old" band. Problem is, except for my bassist/singer, no one is there. As a guitarist, always enjoyed playing with/along the drummer. And the original drummer(s) won't be there. Some guy, fill in, he looks like the Rascal Flatts singer, will be there. Never played in a band with dude. Never heard him..etc. So, should I travel from the Pacific NW to there? Gas expenses and all..

Same song list, sent via e-mail. But if ya don't have the same soldiers in the foxhole, could be a problem. Input anyone? Appreciated :).... 8O :lol:

Killer of Giants

Re: Help with suggestions!

Postby Doobie » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:21 am

I don't think anyone can answer this for you. It depends on if you really want, and can afford, to do it. It could have pleasant results. Or, not. Depends on how adventurous you are ... good luck with your decision.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:02 am

Jiver
I read you message and I feel you pain. Our last singer quit with 26 hours notice before a gig and we had one to play the following weekend.
We were able to get another band to fill in for us on the first gig . The second gig we played with the bass player singing some songs, the rhythm guitar player singing some songs, and two other guys from other bands singing some songs. And you're right, it's not the same guys in the foxhole. We had the luxury of practicing with this line 1 time before the gig. I don't know if I'd play the show without 1 practice with the new players ( TRAINWRECKS ). So my advice to you is to ask your self some questions. Can you trust the new people enough to play a paying gig with them? Will the bar /club be understanding if there is a train wreck? Do you have enough time to find a replacement band and save face with the bar/club? How much does the gig pay? Do you thrive on the unknown, do you like the spontaneity of what can happen the first time you play with some one new?

Hope this helps.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:43 am

Different drummer, same bass player, same set list....easy enough. I'd do the gig. Who knows maybe they make a great rythym section...only one way to find out! Play the gig and take the money! You're a professional. That's what you do! And besides, if it sucks, no big deal...it's only 2 nights. Everybody plays a few shitty gigs in their career. Go, play and have fun. Thats my advice.

Also, if you've already commited, that means you HAVE to go. No backing out. THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Break a leg, buddy! :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:55 pm

yah I agree with deano do the gig anyway!!!
at least yah got to play right?
The artist formally known as Brawler

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:05 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll be heading out, got an 80 song list; the band will be pretty much playing 5 hours straight. Crazy!!! Have a 2nd guitarist to fill out the sound/help out, etc. Got my chops going; gonna tackle "Crazy Train" doing the Jake version of the Randy Rhodes solo. If that makes sense. Saw Jake do it at the US Festival Video from 83, and on the BATM tour. Peace Out..........:).......

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:46 am

Yeah, go jam. What do you have to lose?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 am

Hey Jiver...

Took my own advice and went up to the local bar on open jam night. Blew some people away with a version of Red Barchetta and Limelight. Those bar dweebs didn't know what hit them. They were used to Gimme Three Steps and Mustang Sally. Good thing the drummer was decent. :D

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:53 pm

mrmetal wrote:Hey Jiver...

Took my own advice and went up to the local bar on open jam night. Blew some people away with a version of Red Barchetta and Limelight. Those bar dweebs didn't know what hit them. They were used to Gimme Three Steps and Mustang Sally. Good thing the drummer was decent. :D

Nice.. :lol: wish I could do that, but the common folk where I'm to play are more interested in the "party" mode. Which is fine; I like seeing the girlies dancing on table, taking off the tops and waving 'em around.

Some time ago, I decided that when I want to, I'll get into a "Musical" group. For now, I'll focus on the entertainment aspect of it. But do appreciate seeing musicians from time to time. Peace out... :)

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:41 pm

Go for it, Jiver you never know you may just find a goldmine at your special weekend Concert Events! Cheers to you and have a great safe/and Rockin' time!!

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Jiver
Go for it dude. I must have misunderstood what you said. Same bass player, different drummer. If you trust the bass player and he trusts the drummer it should be a blast. I love to jam with new people and to do it in front of a crowd and get paid , cool.
Have a good time.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:48 am

Deansolo wrote:Different drummer, same bass player, same set list....easy enough. I'd do the gig. Who knows maybe they make a great rythym section...only one way to find out! Play the gig and take the money! You're a professional. That's what you do! And besides, if it sucks, no big deal...it's only 2 nights. Everybody plays a few shitty gigs in their career. Go, play and have fun. Thats my advice.

Also, if you've already commited, that means you HAVE to go. No backing out. THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Break a leg, buddy! :)

Haha, I go with that Deano, fuk i love the gigs when i get called at 4pm, gig at 8pm, coz their guitarist is fkn half dead from food poisoning, or their canary died, or their fkn grandma's canary died or what the fuk ever the guitarists excuse is I am replacing for the night I am playing for. Done it a million time's, I was always the gun for hire (or pisshead that needed free drinks for a gig...haha) and most of the time, these are the gig's I enjoyed the most, filling in for someone in and established band...haha a few times, I got offered the full time gig coz i made the band sound so much better.

The best thing about being a muso, is u never know whats around the corner, or what her name is, haha, either way, if u cant get up and bluff your way through at least 30 tunes with a band, go back to ya day job, and forget about the gig....those jam gig's, with no rehearsal, sometimes turn out to be the best....just go with it, be confident. :)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:16 pm

To All:

Yep, went to play both nights, made a little vacation out of it, and it turned out very well!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, had a 4 pc group. Older guy playing 2nd guitar. And singing, we all sung. The 2nd guitarist did his rock/bluesy style to my shred style. I had my moment doing 2 Poison songs, (that Harddriver guy would be proud) "Every Rose" and "Talk Dirty", got the girlies dancing and waving their shirts around. Was HOT on the stage and dance floor!!!!!!!! Was nervous Fri, and did well. Had to have some Tequila for that!!! Sat, better, and slayed 'em. It's only Covers, but WTH? Did some good 'ol songs, classics, and all were rocked!!! Thanks for all the positive feedback; everyone here ROCKS!!!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:28 pm

mrmetal wrote:Hey Jiver...

Two of my favorites! \nn/

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:57 am

Hey Jiver....we did it again last night and are going to another one tonight. It's our never ending search for a good drummer. They let us play 5 songs, so we did "I Don't Know", "Crazy Train", "Red Barchetta", "Limelight", and "Whole Lotta Love".

It is covers, but man I had fun and I never realized how much bar folks dig that "Whole Lotta Love" song....:D

Next

Return to Free for all...