Download Festival

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Download Festival

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:40 pm

GUNS N'ROSES IN SHOCK DOWNLOAD REUNION:

June 12, 2006

Axl and Izzy put their differences behind them at Donington

Guns N'Roses' singer Axl Rose was reunited with estranged guitarist Izzy Stradlin as Download drew to a close tonight (June 11).

And heavy metal's legends of Sunset Strip closed the Donington festival in a typically chaotic style.

Midway through the set, Rose introduced original member Stradlin for three songs, 'Patience', 'Night Train' and 'I Used To Love Her'.

It was only Stradlin's second show back with the band in over a decade, following a shock appearance in New York last month.

But that was not the only surprise instore; for 'My Michelle', the band were joined by former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach.

Guns N'Roses took the stage half an hour early, but Rose easily made up the time in a series of sensational walk-offs.

After slipping over during 'Sweet Child O'Mine', Rose annnounced that the band were experiencing "technical difficulties" and left the stage for five minutes while a guitarist played an instrumental version of 'Don't Cry'.

The singer had already abandoned the show once before, leaving the crowd with an instrumental version of Christina Aguilera's hit 'Beautiful'. And he threatened to leave the stage after 'Better' if the crowd persisted in throwing bottles.

However, they did get to air 'new' songs 'Better', 'The Blues', 'IRS' and 'Madagascar'.

Perhaps referencing this weekend's Nokia Isle Of Wight festival, Rose dubbed the site "the Isle Of Wrong" before 'Sweet Child O' Mine'.

Guns n' Roses played:

'Welcome To The Jungle'
'It's So Easy'
'Mr Brownstone'
'Live and Let Die'
'Knockin'On Heaven's Door'
'Sweet Child O' Mine'
'You Could Be Mine'
'Beautiful' (instrumental)
'Better'
'Out To Get Me'
'The Blues'
'November Rain'
'My Michelle' (with Sebastian Bach)
'Patience' (with Izzy Stradlin)
'Night Train' (with Izzy Stradlin)
'Madagascar'
'Rocket Queen'
'IRS'
'I Used To Love Her' (with Izzy Stradlin)
'Paradise City'

Elsewhere at Download, second stage headliners The Prodigy narrowly avoided a crowd incident as hordes of fans climbed the lighting rig onn what was only their second-ever show back in their original line-up, after headlining Isle Of Wight on Friday.

Finnish Eurovision winners Lordi also played today, alongside Welsh hardcore heroes Funeral For A Friend and Bullet For My Valentine.

Closing the biggest ever Download, organiser Stuart Galbraith confirmed that the festival had sold out for the first time in its history, and that it would return next year, June 8-10.

As well as sister festivals in Dublin and San Francisco, he also revealed plans for a Download festival in Boston.

Courtesy of www.nme.com

Re: Download Festival

Postby Fretman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:18 am

If Izzy rejoins the band then the others will follow.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:53 am

I doubt it Slash will never give up what he has now nor will Duff and matt no friggin way!!!! that would be wishful thinkin!!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:18 am

Axl n' Roses were bottled off a few times from what i've heard. I think us British are a bit less forgiving than you Americans. Axl has done so much damage to his and Guns' reputation with his, i must say myself, arrogant and downright pathetic attitude to his audience, sometimes i wonder how he gets an audience at all!!
I once forked out a small fortune to go see Guns, only to find that when i got there, Axl was too busy having a good time elsewhere to find his way to where he should be, and when he decided to rearrange the show..guess what??? i couldn't make it. He gets no sympathy from me, "what you sow, you shall reap".

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am

Personally, I couldn't care less what the future holds for G & R, because I'm not a fan of them or Axl! They had some good songs, but I just never got into them that much.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:54 am

pejale wrote:Axl n' Roses were bottled off a few times from what i've heard. I think us British are a bit less forgiving than you Americans. Axl has done so much damage to his and Guns' reputation with his, i must say myself, arrogant and downright pathetic attitude to his audience, sometimes i wonder how he gets an audience at all!!
I once forked out a small fortune to go see Guns, only to find that when i got there, Axl was too busy having a good time elsewhere to find his way to where he should be, and when he decided to rearrange the show..guess what??? i couldn't make it. He gets no sympathy from me, "what you sow, you shall reap".

lol you guys are a rough crowd, but Axl deserves to be bottled off (that phrase always makes me laugh) for all of the reasons you stated. I was lucky-the one and only time I saw G N'R was during the Illusion tour, and all he did was jump into the crowd. At least he did the whole show.

Weren't two people crushed to death during Guns' performance at Castle Donington back in the day?

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:20 pm

Yeah. I was there that day, Guns n' Roses were just breaking big at that time. My main memory of G n' R that day is Axl Rose swearing every two words. To give them their due,they did do a few acoustic songs during their set to calm things down,but my memory is that it was a lot worse when Dave lee roth was on. It was just a terrible,unfortunate incident that happened on the day, but as much as i would like to rubs Rose's face in it, that's all it was.
ps We didn't even know 'till the next day, mobile phones and the internet were still in their infancy.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:18 pm

I saw GnR on the Appetite tour....Opening for the Stones at the LA Colusieum (They sounded like he didn't give a fuck)... Anyway, I've never been an Axel Rose fan, I never liked the way his mouth and his opinions got in the way of the RnR. The crap that was streaming from his mouth on stage that day cemented my opinion of him. It made the 11:00 o'clock news and everything. Slash, Duff and Matt are waaay better off without the a**hole.

Furthermore, I really couldn't care less if Axels Roses ever release that "new" record or if they ever play another show..... 'cuz I'm sure this new GnR record will end up being just as bloated as he is.

Just my opinion tho'... I know there's a lot of people who want to see the band, any band with him in it, play the classics....but I'll bet Dollars to Donuts he'll pull the same shit as in the old days....like pulling a "no-show" or just walking off stage on a whim or just plain talking s**t to the audience. I pity the poor a**holes in his band having to suffer thru that kinda crap....The only difference between Axel Rose and Jani Lane, IMO, is the fact that so many people have yet to write him off! Which is mind boggling to me! The dudes a Jackass.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Return to Free for all...