Tony MacAlpine

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Tony MacAlpine

Postby mr_scary » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:40 am

Anybody ever listened to him? I just finished listening to Tears of Sahara, and that was amazing. I just want to know what the Jakers think of him

All Access Member

Re: Tony MacAlpine

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:41 am

I'm not too familiar with Tony, but I saw him live with Steve Vai about a year ago. I also have a Mark Boals disc that he plays on as well.

Postby Fretman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:48 am

Tony is a bad mofo...I love his stuff.

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:34 pm

I was Tony's guitar tech for 1990's "Eyes of the World" tour. Tony is a phenomenal musician and a very nice guy. It was a pleasure to watch him every night on that tour.

Jimi

Postby mr_scary » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 pm

jimiforrest wrote:I was Tony's guitar tech for 1990's "Eyes of the World" tour. Tony is a phenomenal musician and a very nice guy. It was a pleasure to watch him every night on that tour.

Jimi

You are one lucky mofo! I agree, he's one awesome guy, and a great player. Although, I used to think he was white!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Fretman wrote:Tony is a bad mofo...I love his stuff.

Bad MOFO indeed!

Jimi must have some great stories! maybe he'll share some with us. :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:40 pm

As I said...Tony is a phenomenal musician. I remember we were in upstate New York (and we stopped by the drum tech's house). There was a piano there and Tony sat down and played some Chopin. He is every bit as much lethal on the ivory as he is on the guitar.

The tour was interesting...we kept referring to it as the Spinal Tap tour. We even played a club in Wisconsin called "Stone Henge". There were some great memories..some good...some bad. Anyway, out of respect for Tony..."what goes on on the road...stays on the road". Tony pretty much was a saint...it was the rest of us road dogs that played out the stories, LOL.

It was kind of a bad time for hard rock music (1990). There was a recession but for the most part, the clubs were pretty packed. It was just a different atmosphere all-together. There were times where I was playing through Tony's rig at sound check and people would come up and ask for my autograph saying "you smoke man...you are gonna be big someday".

That kind of stuff doesn't seem to happen today. Anyway...Tony was "ON IT" every night and the band was very good. I think Tony can play anything and make it sound good. He could play a guitar with strings a 1/4" off the neck. When I showed up for rehearsals...some of his guitars were way out of wack but you would never know it listening to him then. Needless to say...I got all of those guitars up to spec within a week and they played like butter for the tour.

He was playing Mason Bernard guitars (made by Bernie Rico...founder of BC Rich guitars) and a crackle finish BC Rich. Tony used to endorse BC Rich and then the Mason Bernard guitars. He also had eight 4x12 cabs from Peavey that had the silver and gold diamonds painted on the speaker grills. We crammed those suckers on the smallest of stages, LOL. His amp rig was a rack system. He was using a Rockman X100 as a pre-amp at the time. There were several other things in the rack for signal processing. The power amp was a Peavey as well.

The set list included songs from his first two solo albums, Project Driver and the Eyes of the World album. They also played an old Argent song during the set (Hold Your Head Up). That was a song brought in by the singer, David Van Landing. He later went on to sing for Crimson Glory and Michael Schenker. In fact, David was the man who got me the job. I worked with him here locally. He recommended me to Tony.

There's so much more but a lot of it is not for public consumption, LOL. Mike Varney and I had a funny conversation about it right before the release of Jake's "Retraced" CD. Rest assured...Mike is doing what he can to make sure we see another release from Jake in the near future.

Jimi

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:49 pm

mr_scary wrote:Anybody ever listened to him? I just finished listening to Tears of Sahara, and that was amazing. I just want to know what the Jakers think of him

Never had a chance to.
Sticking to my good old Marty Friedman's 'Dragon Kiss'.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 am

Jimi, thanks for the encouraging words about Mike's persistence! Someone needs to stay on to Jake! :-)

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:33 am

Tony is awsome at sweep picking as well I saw him a wyle ago with Steve Vai and it was a great show!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:50 am

He is one of those guys that make you want to give up playing guitar after seeing him play.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:51 am

He is one of those guys that make you want to give up playing guitar after seeing him play.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:48 pm

O, man, MacAlpine is a hell of a axeman! He has recorded some of the sweetest sounding things that I've ever listened to!!! That's including Eric Clapton, Alan Holdsworth and Pat Metheny!

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:02 pm

I got his "Freedom To Fly"... guess the most bluesy one... yeah he's pretty fast and has a great sense for melody/harmony however I don't really like his sound he drives... I mean I couldn't sort him out like Eddie Van Halen, Jake E. Lee or Steve Vai among a thousand others... it ain't unique enough and same thing goes for Jason Becker... both great players (hats off!) but those special moments are missin signalizin you "AHH HA! That's Mr. MacAlpine or Mr. Becker" ...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 am

I have an old instruction video with him ... might have to check
it out in a near future :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Next

Return to Free for all...