If Kip Winger looked like Lemmy .....................

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

If Kip Winger looked like Lemmy .....................

Postby harddriver » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:24 am

.........would he have gotten anymore respect ? And this isnt just about Kip and Winger this actually covers alot of bands from the whole "Glam Rock " era. Remeber when the " Grunge " thing came in and all of the sudden it wasnt cool to be good looking and attractive any more? But you had to be depressed and where flannel and sing about suicide and all that lame ass shit. ( Id piss on Curts grave if i could ) That era didnt last very long compared to the so called " Glam Rock " era which i beleive had about a 10 year run compared to about 4 or 5 for the stupid ass grunge era. Motley Crue, Poison :D , Cinderella, Guns n Roses ( Or just Axl ) just to name a few are still out there touring and selling out shows and all those little Grungy bands ( Except Pearl jam whom i do like ) are either visiting the rotted corpses of their dead ass druggy lead singers ( Wood, Staley , Curt Blownbrains ) and trying to pick up the pieces. It was funny how everybody said that ol Curt was the voice of a generation. Well what was that voice saying ? Do heroin and blow your brains out after you marry some Skanky ass slutt ( Courtney Love) ? Well id rather listen to the Voice of the so called " Glam Rock " era which said " Hey man live life to its fullest and dont be afraid to party down every once in a while" And dont give me that music needs to evolve bullshit either because a big part of evolution is improving and that didnt happen in this case.

All Access Member

Re: If Kip Winger looked like Lemmy .....................

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 am

Harddriver, I'm not quite sure where your going with this, but I agree with alot of your points all the same. Looks were a big part of the 80s and the "glam rock" era, but glam rock really didn't last all that long either though.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking "glam" was only the in thing maybe for three years or so. Maybe from 85 to 87. Alot of the bands like Motley Crue, Cinderella, and Stryper dropped the makeup and just looked like regular rock bands after awhile.

With that said, I don't dig the 90s grunge junk either. Actually at the height of the grunge movement was when I went to high school and I thought it sucked then!

I have a personal theory, so here goes. It seems like looking sloutchy is the "in thing" for our youngsters to do now, similar to the 70s. Alot of the kids are starting to dig those 70s and some 80s bands too! What I'm trying to say is, I believe a form of "traditional" hard rock will come back pretty soon. I think the party anthems will be there as well. People get tired of things after awhile and the doomy, gloomy, and EMO stuff has ran it's course IMO. I think it'll take one band to make it all break loose again, sort of like Quiet Riot did back in the early 80s and similar to what Nirvana did in the early 90s.

In conclusion, I'm remaining optimistic about our state side rock n roll situation. I believe traditional hard rock will be on the rise here soon!

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:39 pm

Ah you know how it is Poet as with most my posts im sure where i was going either :lol: I guess i should have used another word besides "Glam " to describe that era. Which whatever it was had a full head of steam from about 82- 91 depending on how you look at it i guess. I sure hope your right about good ol hard rock coming back into play and il be first in line to support it. I just think with the current state of the music buisness and radio being polluted with crap like emo ( Homo ) rock and new metal bullshit it will be an uphill fight.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:11 pm

Just my opinion,....But I don't thnk alot of the kids in bands nowadays (pro or amatuer) have the technique or the chops to play "good lo' Hard Rock" .

What passes for hard rock today , IMO, is akin to Lite Beer!....All the fizz but none of the taste. In other words, they have all the attitude but lack the chops to actually pull it off.

Maybe I'm wrong but to me "good ol' Hard Rock" is like the stuff on Retraced.

Just my opinion tho'. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:53 pm

Definately Dean you are right about that. These kids today dont have the chops or the skill to be able to play the type of stuff that is on Retraced. And everytime a supposed " New Giutar Hero " is supposed to be coming around it ends up being the same ol New metal or Emo bullshit as before. Kenny Wayne Sheppard was good for a while but he kinda vanished and Jack White can Jam a bit but its hard to tell where his head is at ya know. Il just keep on listening to ol stuff i guess and keep dreaming of a time where real rock was king. P.S. I didnt mention Poison once in that post .................Aww man damnit i just did it agin :oops: well atleast i didnt say anything about there SOLDOUT AMP.............awww dangit i almost did it again. I need help dude :roll:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:47 pm

harddriver wrote:Definately Dean you are right about that. These kids today dont have the chops or the skill to be able to play the type of stuff that is on Retraced. And everytime a supposed " New Giutar Hero " is supposed to be coming around it ends up being the same ol New metal or Emo bullshit as before. Kenny Wayne Sheppard was good for a while but he kinda vanished and Jack White can Jam a bit but its hard to tell where his head is at ya know. Il just keep on listening to ol stuff i guess and keep dreaming of a time where real rock was king. P.S. I didnt mention Poison once in that post .................Aww man damnit i just did it agin oops well atleast i didnt say anything about there SOLDOUT AMP.............awww dangit i almost did it again. I need help dude roll
Yep, me too harddriver! I just keep on listening to the old stuff that rings my bell. :)

I think it'll EVENTUALLY come back around, but not soon. My 14 year old nephew is getting really good on guitar....He admires players from the 70's and 80's (Jake included...he really digs Retraced) and is really into old shool hard rock....but he's only 14, and only one kid out of many... ya know what I mean?
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby Fretman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:05 pm

At least the guys from the 'Glam' era new how to play, even if it wasn't always to my liking. I still can't understand how being a sloppy player with no technique or ability to play solos has thrived. Eventually it will run it's course until one day we will come full circle and it will actually be cool to listen to people who know how to play their instruments.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I guess Zakk and BLS are still out there waving the flag for us. Dimebag was a huge loss though. I cant wait for the new BLS to come out along with the DVD. I still get exited just like when i was a kid when a new CD that kicks ass is released and im there on the day it comes out.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:39 am

In my opinion, there are a lot of musicians out there that can flat out rip, but not all of them are here in the states. With that said, good ol' hard rock will come back around here state side, you'll see! ;-)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 am

I think Kip's biggest problem was writing bad songs. Winger was a band loaded with everything a hair metal band was supposed to have, good looking dudes, big hair, chops.....but man, most of those songs were just weak.

Lemmy has respect for lasting so long in the biz with limited ability.

I know there are a lot of Cobain bashers up here, but he was a punk rock guy. I don't think it is accurate to compare a punk rocker with a hard rocker, just because of the difference in the genres.

On a side note, not that I would do this sort of analysis myself, I have heard many women say how cute the dude was - including my wife. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:38 am

Cobain? Cute? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:17 am

Cobain, when CLEANED UP, was a decent looking guy. The media just uses the same greasy looking pictures of him over and over. He always reminded me of a punk Brian Jones. Now Kip Winger....mmmmm!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:24 am

Doobie wrote:Cobain? Cute? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Guess that says something about me then doesn't it? :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:03 pm

Whew. Glad to hear Linda has seen other good lookin' men besides JDepp. For a minute there I thought she was going to move in on him. 'twas gettin' ready to look for that can of whoop ass!

Sorry to all of you blondies, but it could have been that Cobain was blond. There's not many blond guys that I consider "head-turners".

As for you, mrmetal ... you're not blond and you're not greasy-dirty-filthy-stinky looking. Feel bettah, now?

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm not as familiar with Winger yet I have heard of them and some of their songs and their strong/Hard Rock band. Lemmy, I love his gritty voice and his a total Master legend at what he does. I like both Classic Stars Musicians/they different from day to night!

Next

Return to Free for all...