Hendrix

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Hendrix

Postby Fakeblue » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:22 am

I never never understood why so many people gave Hendrix the best credit ever. I mean I tried to listen to some of his stuff, ok, it's not bad, but I would never call him the best player ever as Malmsteen, Satriani and so many other does. What's wrong with me ? Am I deaf ? When I'm listening to the Who, the Stones, then ok, they have left their mark, and today's music probably wouldnt be the same without them, but Hendrix......please help me understand...

Killer of Giants

Re: Hendrix

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:50 am

Hendrix was the first ever "soloist" to play guitar in that "super-charged over the top psychedelic blues" style...using LOTS of whammy bar, controlled feedback, outrageous (for the time) effects, etc..

A lot of Hendrix's mystique was in his unorthodox way of playing the guitar and the sexual vibe he had going on when he played..he also had huge hands that made his playing look effortless.

Without Jimi Hendrix there would be no Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Santana, SRV, Uli Roth, EVH, etc, etc...The list goes on and on. :D

Oh yes, and you must also remember when listening to his music that the time was 1966-1970!

I was 8 years old in 1970 and I was too young to remember when Hendrix first came on the scene. But I figure it must have been kinda like when I first heard Van Halen's S/T debut in 1978.....F**king AWESOME! :D

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be the "authority" on Jimi Hendrix...The above post is just my opinion of why Hendrix gets so much credit. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 am

Thats pretty much in a nutshell Dean, what I would have written, and I am feeling lazy tonite to write much, but yeh, Hendrix was a major influence on alot of ppl. :)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:21 am

I personally am a Jimi Hendrix fan, but I didn't become one until I got older when I was able to appreciate what he had done. There's no question that Jimi influenced a ton of guitarist, including Jake.

I agree with Dean as well Fakeblue. You have to take in consideration when Jimi was playing that unique style of his that so many others have copied!

Listen to Jimi's Blues CD and you'll be able to tell where the influence on so many blues and rock guitarist originated.

Jimi Hendrix is a rock n roll icon and the father of hard rock guitar in my opinion.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:02 am

thanks a lot for these great long answers guys.
Well I suppose there must be some Hendrix's instrumental stuff I have missed. What I do know is 'Manic Depression, Little Wings , Purple Haze'. I hope you're not talking about these songs....because I really don't see that much creativity in these...well 1966...Beck was around already was he ? As well as Santana ?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 am

Fakeblue wrote:thanks a lot for these great long answers guys.
Well I suppose there must be some Hendrix's instrumental stuff I have missed. What I do know is 'Manic Depression, Little Wings , Purple Haze'. I hope you're not talking about these songs....because I really don't see that much creativity in these...well 1966...Beck was around already was he ? As well as Santana ?

Those are just 3 little songs! You should listen to stuff like Crosstown Traffic, Foxy Lady, Dolly Dagger, Voodoo Child, Fire, Stone Free or his version of Red House. Check him out.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:27 am

Gutterflower wrote:

Those are just 3 little songs! You should listen to stuff like Crosstown Traffic, Foxy Lady, Dolly Dagger, Voodoo Child, Fire, Stone Free or his version of Red House. Check him out.

I konw these songs too.
You mean the only instrume,ntal thing he did was live in woodstock ?

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:59 am

Ok...I'll bite on this one. I'm a huge Hendrix fan. A lot of people overlook many facets of musicianship. It's not so much how many notes you can play, how difficult a stretch you can make and so on. Being a great artist means playing with pure emotion, letting the music that comes out breathe. To me, that's a large part of Hendrix's appeal. That man felt every note he played (good or bad). Also, as mentioned before here, at the time he was making his mark...nobody was playing like that.

Try listening to If 6 were 9, Spanish Castle Magic, Belly Button Window and you can never go wrong with the "Band of Gypsies" full live show (not the 5 song EP either). With Band of Gypsies, Jimi had calmed down the stage stunts and it really came out in his playing.

Just my two cents.
Jimi

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:18 am

jimiforrest wrote:Ok...I'll bite on this one. I'm a huge Hendrix fan. A lot of people overlook many facets of musicianship. It's not so much how many notes you can play, how difficult a stretch you can make and so on. Being a great artist means playing with pure emotion, letting the music that comes out breathe. To me, that's a large part of Hendrix's appeal. That man felt every note he played (good or bad). Also, as mentioned before here, at the time he was making his mark...nobody was playing like that.

Try listening to If 6 were 9, Spanish Castle Magic, Belly Button Window and you can never go wrong with the "Band of Gypsies" full live show (not the 5 song EP either). With Band of Gypsies, Jimi had calmed down the stage stunts and it really came out in his playing.

Just my two cents.
Jimi

Band of Gypsies is a fan favorite for sure!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Yes Jeff Beck was around, but he was playing in what was essentially a "pop" band. And Santana wasn't around yet...Santana made his debut at Woodstock (1969).

IMO, I think you're listening to Hendrix music with the sensibilities of a guitar player in year 2006........you know, already influenced by modern shredders like Yngwie and Satch. Try to forget about those guys and listen to Hendrix music on it's own terms. I'm sure if you listen to it that way you'll find a greater appreciation for the man and what he contributed to Rock guitar. :)

Oh yeah...check out what he did with 'pop songs' like Sgt. Pepper, Wild Thing, etc.., and folk songs like Bob Dylans "All along the Watchtower". :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Postby skezza » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 pm

I aint a huge fan of Hendrix. He reguarly gets compared to incredible guitarists gone by over the years. EVH, RR and others. When RR is mentioned, i like to point out the concentration of both guitarists on their musical talents. While Hendrix started to stray over the last few months possibly years of his life, Rhoads was continually focussed on being the best he could be, and in my opinion that is why Randy Rhoads is my favourite guitarist, and WOULD have been the greatest ever. When a guitarist calls a classical guitar teacher everyday while on tour so he can keep learning thats when you feel that this guy really cared. I mean, Randy Rhoads worried while he was on tour, because he thought he would drop back on his skills, he obviously didnt know quite how good he was. I dont know about Hendrix, but if he spent the last months of his life, smoking pot and sniffing crack or something, i cant give any credit to his focus on music which he is often credited for!

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:01 am

Deansolo wrote:

Yes Jeff Beck was around, but he was playing in what was essentially a "pop" band. And Santana wasn't around yet...Santana made his debut at Woodstock (1969).

IMO, I think you're listening to Hendrix music with the sensibilities of a guitar player in year 2006........you know, already influenced by modern shredders like Yngwie and Satch. Try to forget about those guys and listen to Hendrix music on it's own terms. I'm sure if you listen to it that way you'll find a greater appreciation for the man and what he contributed to Rock guitar. :)

Oh yeah...check out what he did with 'pop songs' like Sgt. Pepper, Wild Thing, etc.., and folk songs like Bob Dylans "All along the Watchtower". :)

You know I agree we owe a lot to our elders.
If the black people didn't come up with the blues back to slavery times, then Chuck Berry or Jerry Lewis could never have found the essential roots for the first rock'n'roll songs, then hard rock would not exist, and our precious metal would remain as a dream.

When I'm listening to 50's rock'n'roll, it really touches me. I can feel the newness, the freshness of it, even as a metal guy. But hendrix....I don't know...it sounds marshmallow to me...sometimes I wonder if as music fans we are getting 'mind control' influences by those music history folks that try to tell us what we are capable or not capable to enjoy....

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 am

Hahaha I knew this would shake up the forums, u started something here Fakeblue. ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:12 am

:lol: I refuse to bite any further on this topic! :lol: Anybody care to take over? Jimi?...... Jeff?....mrmetal? Fretman? Rock? anyone? anyone? :lol: :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:21 am

Deansolo wrote::lol: I refuse to bite any further on this topic! :lol: Anybody care to take over? Jimi?...... Jeff?....mrmetal? Fretman? Rock? anyone? anyone? :lol: :D

I'll bite, I don't care!

Fakeblue, if you're not diggin' Hendrix, then you don't dig him. It's that simple. Like I said yesterday, I wasn't into him until later on in life myself. Nobody on this forum or anywhere else can force you to like him or convince you that Hendrix is the best thing since sliced bread. :lol:

It's pretty much that simple!

Next

Return to Free for all...