Hendrix

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Hendrix

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:24 am

Rock wrote:Hahaha I knew this would shake up the forums, u started something here Fakeblue. ;)

Not really. Fakeblue doesn't like Hendrix, so what! He's not starting anything :?:

Postby Fretman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:18 am

I love Hendrix personally and can't comprehend how someone who listens to rock wouldn't love him too. I guess it's all subjective, but it is a fact that rock/hard rock/metal as we know it today would not be what it is without Hendrix, IMO.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:25 am

I still say Red House is the best FREEKIN hendrix tune the solo is the Balls Period end of story!!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:22 am

stratattack wrote:I still say Red House is the best FREEKIN hendrix tune the solo is the Balls Period end of story!!!!

Red House and Voodoo Chile are my favorites probably, with Hey Joe next. I like Here He Comes, Lover Man real well too!

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:40 am

Fretman wrote:I love Hendrix personally and can't comprehend how someone who listens to rock wouldn't love him too. I guess it's all subjective, but it is a fact that rock/hard rock/metal as we know it today would not be what it is without Hendrix, IMO.

hmmm I don't know man. When people talk about metal roots, they mention the first English Hard Rock bands like Black Sabbath & Judas Priest. Do you really think these guys sound anything like hendrix brought ? I've heard interviews of Priest's KK Downing lead guitar and he said they come from Birmingham England which is an industrial town. He said 'you could always hear the big hammering factory sound, and I think our influences are coming from that'. It is also interesting to notice that Black Sabbath comes from the same town ! I mean what is Sabbath ? It's rock'n'roll + some slow dark lancinating melodies. What is Priest ? It's rock'n'roll + fast hammering victorious melodies. I don't see Hendrix here. Rock'n'roll was made in the fifties. I find it is normal that some music styles can evolve independently without others.

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 am

Fakeblue wrote:
Fretman wrote:I love Hendrix personally and can't comprehend how someone who listens to rock wouldn't love him too. I guess it's all subjective, but it is a fact that rock/hard rock/metal as we know it today would not be what it is without Hendrix, IMO.

hmmm I don't know man. When people talk about metal roots, they mention the first English Hard Rock bands like Black Sabbath & Judas Priest. Do you really think these guys sound anything like hendrix brought ? I've heard interviews of Priest's KK Downing lead guitar and he said they come from Birmingham England which is an industrial town. He said 'you could always hear the big hammering factory sound, and I think our influences are coming from that'. It is also interesting to notice that Black Sabbath comes from the same town ! I mean what is Sabbath ? It's rock'n'roll + some slow dark lancinating melodies. What is Priest ? It's rock'n'roll + fast hammering victorious melodies. I don't see Hendrix here. Rock'n'roll was made in the fifties. I find it is normal that some music styles can evolve independently without others.

got ma support, mate! :)

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:59 am

Fakeblue wrote:

Hendrix came before metal...thats why many guitarists, even some who play metal, say he is an influence.
:)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:17 am

Deansolo wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:

Hendrix came before metal...thats why many guitarists, even some who play metal, say he is an influence.

Look at it this way : Punk Rock first came in England with The Sex Pistols in 1977. What is punk rock ? It's rock'n'roll + the spirit of Brits suffering from the highly conservative mentality England was in back then. When did rock'n'roll started ? Back in the fifties.

Now, I said the Pistols came in 1977. You will probably agree the biggest musical influence before 1977 was the Beatles. When you listen to 'Anarchy in the UK', does it make you feel like you wanna walk on a Strawberry Field Forever ? The pistols just took rock'n'roll at its roots and add their anger for Puritanism to it. They made a jump from the fifties to their lifes without crossing Hendrix. This proves musical styles are not always completing each other. The fact that metal people quote Hendrix as an influence doesn't prove he brought something to metal. It just proves Hendrix fit with what their minds needed at one point of their lifes. I've got inspired from 'House Music', but believe me, you can't feel it in my guitar play.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:16 am

Okay...I realize now where you're coming from. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:53 am

Fakeblue wrote:
Deansolo wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:

Look at it this way : Punk Rock first came in England with The Sex Pistols in 1977. What is punk rock ? It's rock'n'roll + the spirit of Brits suffering from the highly conservative mentality England was in back then. When did rock'n'roll started ? Back in the fifties.

Now, I said the Pistols came in 1977. You will probably agree the biggest musical influence before 1977 was the Beatles. When you listen to 'Anarchy in the UK', does it make you feel like you wanna walk on a Strawberry Field Forever ? The pistols just took rock'n'roll at its roots and add their anger for Puritanism to it. They made a jump from the fifties to their lifes without crossing Hendrix. This proves musical styles are not always completing each other. The fact that metal people quote Hendrix as an influence doesn't prove he brought something to metal. It just proves Hendrix fit with what their minds needed at one point of their lifes. I've got inspired from 'House Music', but believe me, you can't feel it in my guitar play.

Fakeblue, your points above are taken, but you're straying from what you origially were trying to get an answer to. In your original post I took it that you were trying to see what people saw in Jimi Hendrix. With that said, people on this forum answered your question to the best of their abilities. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with your post above? :?

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:
Deansolo wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:

Fakeblue, your points above are taken, but you're straying from what you origially were trying to get an answer to. In your original post I took it that you were trying to see what people saw in Jimi Hendrix. With that said, people on this forum answered your question to the best of their abilities. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with your post above? :?

Well, I guess that's the cool thing about forums. You can start with one subject and end up on something completely different.

Anyway, in trying to understand why Hendrix gets so much credit I thought it was necessary to see if he brought something to metal or not. Now I'm still thinking about what someone said on this post before about Hendrix songs having kind of a sexual thing to it. I've been listening to 'Hey Joe' last night, a song been given the sexy label by many, and....well.... I'm sorry I find it very boring. But while doing research on Hendrix last night I've found some pictures of him, and I have to admit he looked really good. I like his hair and clothes. He probably had a strong presence on stage.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:51 am

Fakeblue wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:
Deansolo wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:

Well, I guess that's the cool thing about forums. You can start with one subject and end up on something completely different.

Anyway, in trying to understand why Hendrix gets so much credit I thought it was necessary to see if he brought something to metal or not. Now I'm still thinking about what someone said on this post before about Hendrix songs having kind of a sexual thing to it. I've been listening to 'Hey Joe' last night, a song been given the sexy label by many, and....well.... I'm sorry I find it very boring. But while doing research on Hendrix last night I've found some pictures of him, and I have to admit he looked really good. I like his hair and clothes. He probably had a strong presence on stage.

Well, I don't think Hey Joe is a "sexy" song, because it's a little sad if you listen to the lyrics. Here He Comes Lover Man, could be considered a sexy song I guess. Jimi had a way with the ladies for sure, so there's not much more you can say about that! :wink:

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:53 am

Fakeblue wrote:I've been listening to 'Hey Joe' last night, a song been given the sexy label by many, and....well.... I'm sorry I find it very boring. But while doing research on Hendrix last night I've found some pictures of him, and I have to admit he looked really good. I like his hair and clothes. He probably had a strong presence on stage.

Umm, I don't know that I'd label Hey Joe as a sexy song because isn't it about a guy that 'shot his woman down for messing with another man'? As in...murder?

I think Hendrix was known for being a ladies man, plus his stage presence was pretty electrifying. Have you ever watched the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival? He gets introduced by Brian Jones, then plays with his teeth and sets his guitar on fire. That's also the show where Janis Joplin first got recognized when she did Ball and Chain. I've got it on vhs and I'm about to convert it to dvd. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:54 am

There is a French expression that says : 'tastes and colors can't be discussed'. I disagree with that. I remember when I was a teenager, I was in the 80's rock or pop rock (Bronsky Beat, Talk Talk, OMD, Depeche Mode, ) and I was hanging with metal long haired friends. I really didn't like metal back then but I was kind of fascinated by the Derek Riggs illustrations on Iron Maiden's albums. I was sensible to the way some bands had their front cover illustrated. I thought 'if there is any common points between the music and the illustrations, then I should make an effort'. Plus my friends were trying to convince me all the time, and this is how I end up asking for a tape to listen to. I was really difficult but this is how I discovered what has become my favourite music kind for 19 years now. I guess the point I'm trying to make is it is worthy try to force yourself listening to new stuff, and you sometimes need other people influences to encourage you. I still don't like Hendrix, but since now I will listen to him with a brand new ear because of all the efforts you made to explain what you dig in Jimmy's music.

Thanks guys.

Previous

Return to Free for all...