Disabling tremolo units

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Disabling tremolo units

Postby johnthebrucelee » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:31 pm

I was wondering how do you lock a vintage tremolo in place (strats), thus disabling the tremolo use. I look around the .net but found none that would really help... All I got was to use a block of wood, but any advice here? :o

Re: Disabling tremolo units

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 am

What kind of guitar do you have? What kind of tremolo? These factors will determine the method. If you have a Strat style guitar and tremolo where the bridge plate is flat, you can tighten the springs so that the plate lays flat against the body. If you have a recessed type floating tremolo or a Floyd Rose type tremolo, you can use a block of wood and loosen the springs.

I had a PRS guitar with a floating tremolo that was very problematic. I took the guitar to 2 different techs and they advised me to "block" it. I went a step further than wood though - I used a squate jack plate from a Les Paul (I happened to have an extra one). I just screwed it in to the spring cavity at the appropriate angle to keep the tremolo floating flush with the body. It worked great and I was still able to do "divebombs" without the block falling out. The bridge would return back to the same position every time, so it also helped with intonation.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:18 pm

Hey Jeff, I have a Fender Mexican Standard Strat and it's just a synchronized tremolo where the bridge lays flat with the body. Ah... I see, I can just add more springs and tighten them so that it wouldn't move. Thanks for the info Jeff! :D

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Just go buy a Les Paul....problem solved. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:45 pm

Rock wrote:Just go buy a Les Paul....problem solved. :)

:D :D :D

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:20 pm

Rock wrote:Just go buy a Les Paul....problem solved. :)

Hahaha, that actually was my next guitar I plan on buyin'. :D At least an Epihone Custom or a Zakk Epi.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 am

Yeh, my first guitar, was an Ibanez Rocket Roll, is a flying V shape, and is still one of the best guitars I own, and has a similar setup on the bridge as a Les Paul, so I got used to playing without a tremelo, then I went pro eddie and Vai, and got a kramer and an RG, both with full floating Floyd Roses. Got over that quick, and got a Les Paul. I think, if u want to disable a tremelo, just get a guitar without one, Strats are easy to sought out like Jef points out, but a full floater can be a pain in the ass, keep it as is and get one without it, then if u feel like a bit of whammy, its still there.... :)

Return to Free for all...