Stephen King fans

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Stephen King fans

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Deansolo wrote:BTW, didn't Stephen King get run over by a truck or sometning about 5 years ago, and was lying injured on the side of the road for a few days before some woman found him and helped him to recover...Then sent him on his way with a couple of broken legs? I thought I read that somewhere.

Back in 1999 he was was walking down a road in Maine when a guy in a Dodge Caravan hit him-I remember reading it threw him 14 feet up in the air. He broke his leg and his hip. The driver took it pretty hard and eventually he ended up committing suicide a few years later 8O

You're thinking of his book Misery lol That one is about a writer who gets in to a car accident and breaks both legs. He gets rescued by one of his deranged fans who forces him to write a book for her. Kathy Bates played the crazy woman in the movie and James Caan (Sonny Corleone) was the writer.

I just read King's latest novel, Cell. Check it out if you haven't already-you'll never look at your cell phone the same! :P

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:21 am

Gutterflower wrote:
Deansolo wrote:BTW, didn't Stephen King get run over by a truck or sometning about 5 years ago, and was lying injured on the side of the road for a few days before some woman found him and helped him to recover...Then sent him on his way with a couple of broken legs? I thought I read that somewhere.

Back in 1999 he was was walking down a road in Maine when a guy in a Dodge Caravan hit him-I remember reading it threw him 14 feet up in the air. He broke his leg and his hip. The driver took it pretty hard and eventually he ended up committing suicide a few years later 8O

You're thinking of his book Misery lol That one is about a writer who gets in to a car accident and breaks both legs. He gets rescued by one of his deranged fans who forces him to write a book for her. Kathy Bates played the crazy woman in the movie and James Caan (Sonny Corleone) was the writer.

8O You mean he wrote a book about that?! I thought he was a fiction writer?! Did he say how long it took him to recover? I hear it's pretty rough recovering from a hip injury. Did the guy who hit him kill himself in the book too? Wow, thats amazing. James Caan doesn't look anything like Stephen King. :?

:P
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:42 am

Gutterflower wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:
Gutterflower wrote:The Stand is still my favorite :)

shit I only know french titles......how is my favorite called in english....it's the one with that woman tied to the bed with handcups by our husband and he dies and she has to watch a roaming dog coming along and eat her husband corpse lol.....she finally ends up taking the decision she has to cut her wrist o use her blood as a lubricating to slip her hands out the handcups.....god.....so intense....I'm still trying to understand how he can get you glued to the book so efficiently...I think it might be because he uses the contrast between simple styled writing and sophisticated writing when it comes to important parts of the story. I mean a lot of his stories really start with very simple descriptions and very simple literal style and suddenly he starts to surprise you by changing the narrative rythm very fast to get you kind of fascinated....

Anybody heard about his disease turning him blind ?

The book you're referring to is Gerald's Game. And I never heard anything about Stephen King having a disease that's turning him blind! 8O

Well maybe you can't call that a disease but he said on tv interview his eyes are gonna let him down soon or later. I think it is genetic.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:56 am

Deansolo wrote:
8O You mean he wrote a book about that?! I thought he was a fiction writer?! Did he say how long it took him to recover? I hear it's pretty rough recovering from a hip injury. Did the guy who hit him kill himself in the book too? Wow, thats amazing. James Caan doesn't look anything like Stephen King. :?

The really weird thing is he wrote that book a few years BEFORE he got hit by the car! So it's not autobiographical, but a really strange coincidence. 8O

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:17 am

Fakeblue wrote:Well maybe you can't call that a disease but he said on tv interview his eyes are gonna let him down soon or later. I think it is genetic.

From his official site:

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/FAQ/St ... /blind.php

Is it true that you're going blind?

No, I'm not. I have a predisposition--and it's a genetic thing--to macular degeneration and that's a disease you can read about on the internet. It eventually results in blind spots and a loss of vision but I don't have any of the symptoms yet-just that predisposition and I think it's something that I may have to face in the future, but, no, I'm not going blind.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:22 pm

Gutterflower wrote:
Deansolo wrote:

The really weird thing is he wrote that book a few years BEFORE he got hit by the car! So it's not autobiographical, but a really strange coincidence. 8O

I know! :P I was just yankin' yer chain! :) That is weird....but what would be even weirder would be if he got attacked by a killer dog or hit by a meteor or run down by a possessed car or something... like in his other stories! :P THAT would be weird! :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Deansolo wrote:
I know! :P I was just yankin' yer chain! :)

Oh, a wiseguy, huh? :lol: I should have known!

You've gotta read Cell. It was a good story.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:23 pm

Gutterflower wrote:
Deansolo wrote:
I know! :P I was just yankin' yer chain! :)

Oh, a wiseguy, huh? :lol: I should have known!

You've gotta read Cell. It was a good story.

Sometimes I feel like Stephen King is getting close to the end oh his carreer. I mean any bands, even the biggest, have a peak where they come up with their best albums and then they just loose inspiration. Just like Helloween were at their best with 'Keeper of the seven keys 1 & 2' and then only made crappy albums. Same with Metallica with 'Ride the lightning' ; 'master of puppets' & 'and justice for all', all they did after that was just very poor......I bought King's 'Everything's eventual' lately and just dropped the book because it was so boring........would you compare 'Cells' with the old fashioned King's books ?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:15 am

Oh, I agree. King's best work is behind him. The Dark Tower series is hard to get through, and they bore me. I don't even have them all, and before I would buy all of his books in hard back, first edition. Cell is a decent story about zombies, but it comes nowhere near the epic vision of The Stand or the scariness of Salem's Lot.

...and I don't really like anything of Metallica's past And Justice For All. :wink:

Previous

Return to Free for all...