Tips on getting Jake's poofed up hair in Ozzy days

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Tips on getting Jake's poofed up hair in Ozzy days

Postby johnthebrucelee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Any advice to get his hairstyle in his Ozzy days? And what is the name for that hair style if I told a barber what to cut my hair like? 8)

Killer of Giants

Re: Tips on getting Jake's poofed up hair in Ozzy days

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:27 pm

Hair Metal maybe.
Anyway, imitating a haircut is one of the most difficult thing to do because all hait are reacting very different when you try to put them up. The sure thing is that Jake had a fringe back then. The rest is pretty much like Ashima said, it's due to Jake's natural curling hair texture I think....lol I think he's gonna have a laugh the day he reads this...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:11 am

i agree, it's in the genes 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:08 am

If you have straight hair, the only way to poof it up is to use a curling iron, then you need to tease the curls on top of your head. That will make your hair big. The only advice I can give you about getting your hair cut is to have it cut in long layers. If your hair is all one length it won't work as well.

My hair is straight, and this is what I used to do back in the day. But it takes a while, especially if your hair is thick. If you tease your hair, it'll poof. Genetics has nothing to do with it. :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:47 am

Yeh, it's always the way, if u have straight hair, u want curly hair, and if u have curly hair, u want it straight...I even went and got it straightened once, instead of perming it, they combed the stuff through your hair and let it set straight, instead of putting it in rollers. Mine is naturally curly, prolly alot like Jakes was...

Pic Below...It got alot longer than that, just dont have a pic on pc. :) Thats me on the right. ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:48 am

You (Rock) had a fine cut in that pic.

Tell the stylist you don't want chunk layers - you want scissor layers. I had the best hair stylist in the 80's! Scissor layers are when you take a section of hair and pull it out away from your head, take the scissors and just slide it diagonally (short to longer of course) to the ends of the hair. Just be careful not to start too close to the head or you will end up with the triangle poofy look. Long layers are the key.

After you get the cut you'll need mousse (L'Oreal makes a very good one). Dry the hair about half way while scrunching it - DO NOT brush it while drying (POOF). Flip your head over and shake your head to let the layers fall out a bit. If you don't get the look you want you can always take a hair pick to gently pick or pull out layers your want to look more exaggerated. Then grab a can of the white with pink lettering extra super hold Aquanet hairspray and spray the hell out of it. You should pull pieces away from your head while spraying. Pulling out those layers will make them cascade and not kink up.

I had great effin' 80's hair :)

If you don't want the bangs and shorter layers to kink, wait until they are dry and take a curling iron to them, but don't curl with it. Just slide it through the hair as you lift and spray the hair. You can always take a pick and tease the shorter pieces if you're not getting the height you want.

If your hair is just stick straight you can still get that cut and make it work. Look at Eric Brittingham (Cinderella). Good grief that guy had some fine looking hair in the day!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:58 pm

Yes, long layers and wavy hair........But may I ask: WHY? :P
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:34 pm

Deansolo wrote:Yes, long layers and wavy hair........But may I ask: WHY? :P

Just wanted to know how to get that Jake hair. 8)

Postby skezza » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:59 am

When i had long hair, it was horrid, so i chopped and gave myself a punk hairstyle :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:27 am

I have long, black wavy hair just like Jakes in the Badlands days...not because I want to emulate Jake...That's how it is naturally. It reaches down to the middle of my back and it's a pain in the ass! I only wear it like this because I have to...due to the business I'm in. If I had a choice, really I would not wear it this long.

Disclaimer: not meant to offend anyone with long and poofy hair...I'm sorry if my last post was kind of obnoxious I just wanted to know why anyone would want to have "poofy' hair if they didn't really have to. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 am

Shit. "Poof" is all I need to hear! My hair has so much body I want to blow my head off, sometimes, and it sure isn't the most fun hair helmet to carry around in Florida . . . in the summer!!! Thanks, Doob, now we all know the difference between chunk layering and scissor layering! I've had to live with razor layering with the short hair styles before- I was a massage therapist, for a few years.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 am

Deansolo wrote:I have long, black wavy hair just like Jakes in the Badlands days...not because I want to emulate Jake...That's how it is naturally. It reaches down to the middle of my back and it's a pain in the ass! I only wear it like this because I have to...due to the business I'm in. If I had a choice, really I would not wear it this long.

Disclaimer: not meant to offend anyone with long and poofy hair...I'm sorry if my last post was kind of obnoxious I just wanted to know why anyone would want to have "poofy' hair if they didn't really have to. :)

I'm with you, Deano. Thank God for straightening irons that don't fry the shit out of your hair! I mostly wear mine straight now but, every once in a while I'll go au naturale. People love it naturally curly and wonder why I straighten it. But, they aren't the ones that have to live with it. And, well, with summer and the humidity - OMG **POOF**. I always longed for that stick straight, fine, thin head-of-hair :cry: .

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Doobie wrote:I'm with you, Deano. Thank God for straightening irons that don't fry the shit out of your hair! I mostly wear mine straight now but, every once in a while I'll go au naturale. People love it naturally curly and wonder why I straighten it. But, they aren't the ones that have to live with it. And, well, with summer and the humidity - OMG **POOF**. I always longed for that stick straight, fine, thin head-of-hair :cry: .

I've got stick straight hair, but it grows fast and I have to get it trimmed every 6 weeks. For years I'd get body waves for that curly look, but it fried my hair. :? It's so straight and thick that a body wave or a perm would never last for long anyway, so I finally stopped destroying my hair and let it go natural.

The humidity puffs your hair out but it makes mine lank, and what little natural body I have in it is gone. But now thanks to Doobie, I know the difference between chunk and scissor layers. Nice to know that my hair stylist has been giving me scissor layers all along.

Maybe we should rename this thread House of Hair :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:41 pm

What kind of hair products do you use? I usually just use a decent shampoo and a rinse, like Pantene and that Aussie instant conditioner. Sometimes I use a leave-in like Infusium. Keeps it managable and soft. For color I use Nice 'n' Easy natural Black 122. Lasts several weeks....I usually get a trim to remove the dead ends about every 6 weeks,... give or take. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:30 pm

Deansolo wrote:What kind of hair products do you use? I usually just use a decent shampoo and a rinse, like Pantene and that Aussie instant conditioner. Sometimes I use a leave-in like Infusium. Keeps it managable and soft. For color I use Nice 'n' Easy natural Black 122. Lasts several weeks....I usually get a trim to remove the dead ends about every 6 weeks,... give or take. :)

If I'm going to straighten it, I use Matrix Sleek Look shampoo and conditioner. If I'm going curly I use L'Oreal for defrizzing (orange bottle). If styling products start to build up I use Neutrogena or Prell to get the build up out first and then shampoo again with the other said products. Oh the things we go through to make something dead look good! lol

Next

Return to Free for all...