Working on solos

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Working on solos

Postby Fakeblue » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:31 am

Hey guys,

Do you feel that learning a solo from a song makes your solo-improvising better ? I personally always tend to play solo stuff instead of chord rythm parts. I know it is a mistake but solos always fascinated me. However, I do find it incredebly difficult to always come up with something new when improvising. When I learn a solo from some band, I feel that I can't 'melt' it in my guitar play. When I play it, I play it, but it can't be 'added' to my personal feelings. Anyone here having the same problem ?

Killer of Giants

Re: Working on solos

Postby hashima » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:51 am

same here, the soloparts'r more interesting since ya get alot o technique stuff waitin to get developed. But I think it depends on what you'r playin when ya try "melting in" some foreign parts however Van Halen's or Jake's Badlands pieces almost always fit... the more bluesy your influence the more flexible your style... Ozzy's abit more difficult to deal with when jam...

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 am

As for soloing, I think it depends on what you do with it. . . and what you're working with.
When you play a note, do you you really give it to "that there" guitar and bang it off the surface, go all Dig Dug and yank it out of the wood, laquer and flake finished parts, or respect the instrument enough to give the note to you? Ofcourse, playing rhythm and playing lead requires two distinct sets of skills, usually requiring patience and effort. Otherwise, it sounds like you're working too hard, or looking for something in the wrong place, or something. When you play a lick, riff, or solo the obvious solution to your concern, as I understand it, is that you're playing it, and thus, it will sound like you playing it other than when you listen to someone else playing it and it sounds so unlike when you play it. All that in one breath, too!!! LOL

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:07 pm

frethead wrote:As for soloing, I think it depends on what you do with it. . . and what you're working with.
When you play a note, do you you really give it to "that there" guitar and bang it off the surface, go all Dig Dug and yank it out of the wood, laquer and flake finished parts, or respect the instrument enough to give the note to you? Ofcourse, playing rhythm and playing lead requires two distinct sets of skills, usually requiring patience and effort. Otherwise, it sounds like you're working too hard, or looking for something in the wrong place, or something. When you play a lick, riff, or solo the obvious solution to your concern, as I understand it, is that you're playing it, and thus, it will sound like you playing it other than when you listen to someone else playing it and it sounds so unlike when you play it. All that in one breath, too!!! LOL
well actually what I'm trying to say is when I try to improvise I get trapped inside myself. I'm always stuck in the same phrases. It's like my mind is stuck. Maybe I have a mental block about it and I should just give up lol

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:08 pm

hashima wrote:same here, the soloparts'r more interesting since ya get alot o technique stuff waitin to get developed. But I think it depends on what you'r playin when ya try "melting in" some foreign parts however Van Halen's or Jake's Badlands pieces almost always fit... the more bluesy your influence the more flexible your style... Ozzy's abit more difficult to deal with when jam...
thank you very much ashima. I apologise for my bad joke in your JASON BECKER post. :oops:

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:20 pm

hashima wrote:however Van Halen's or Jake's Badlands pieces almost always fit... the more bluesy your influence the more flexible your style... Ozzy's abit more difficult to deal with when jam...

You know why Ozzy's songs are more difficult?
They all have a Randy Rhoads stomp to them.
One way or another.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:40 pm

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:however Van Halen's or Jake's Badlands pieces almost always fit... the more bluesy your influence the more flexible your style... Ozzy's abit more difficult to deal with when jam...

One way or another.

ööööööööööööööhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Rhoads is Rhoads and Jake is Jake!!! Especially on The Ultimate Sin!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:24 pm

frethead wrote:As for soloing, I think it depends on what you do with it. . . and what you're working with.
:lol:
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:45 am

iv always tended to go with the flow of the song an my playing an theory usually come out in that..often thinking 2 much can fuk with ur head!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:48 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

One way or another.

ööööööööööööööhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Rhoads is Rhoads and Jake is Jake!!! Especially on The Ultimate Sin!

yeah I know.
What I meant was that Ozzys post-Rhoads music always
has Randys shadow on it :!:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:51 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

One way or another.

That said it all!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:05 pm

I agree, MetalHead. It seems to me, the more I dig on Jake's playing, that Jake covers a number of Randy's licks, almost note-for-note. Not to shed a bad light onto Jake's playing ( or character) at-all! I think he was using his head when got the Ozzy gig, and decided to incorporate many of the riffs and licks that Randy had turned on the first two albums either to the advantage of Ozzy's music, for the appreciation of the fans, or simply so that he could keep his position in the band. Unfortunately, Jake's "sense of respect" went unheralded, from the looks of it.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:45 pm

crisguitar wrote:iv always tended to go with the flow of the song an my playing an theory usually come out in that..often thinking 2 much can fuk with ur head!!!
this reminds me what Lemmy said once 'I like an under 20 secs solo'. I totally disagree. I love long solos...althought I agree shrt solos might be very efficient I like when a solo can take you a little away from the song, then when it's over the return to the song is such a sensation.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 am

Hey Fakeblue ,
unfortunately same situation .I'm going to tell my way what I'm doing right now ...I'm learning new riffs ,trying to improvise not only with solos. I mean one riff is good substitution. I think that if you create "walking" rhythm while you playing you don't need to jump on soloing.For example adding open strings chords,slide notes,octaves,7's,9's ,pinched harmonics,hammer on and pull off tones this can make you rhythm more spicy.The other thing is just sit down and practice arpeggios and pentatonics.These are the best expression tools. In the key you're playing made your own forms according to chord forms try to bring them together as close as you can not to jump from first position to 12th fret . About pentatonics I'm trying to change postions of the notes in random order and looking for well-sounding combination. Last I know some pentatonic based cliches and I use them from time to time.And rule number one keep the melody alive.That's me right now. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 am

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:Hey Fakeblue ,
unfortunately same situation .I'm going to tell my way what I'm doing right now ...I'm learning new riffs ,trying to improvise not only with solos. I mean one riff is good substitution. I think that if you create "walking" rhythm while you playing you don't need to jump on soloing.For example adding open strings chords,slide notes,octaves,7's,9's ,pinched harmonics,hammer on and pull off tones this can make you rhythm more spicy.The other thing is just sit down and practice arpeggios and pentatonics.These are the best expression tools. In the key you're playing made your own forms according to chord forms try to bring them together as close as you can not to jump from first position to 12th fret . About pentatonics I'm trying to change postions of the notes in random order and looking for well-sounding combination. Last I know some pentatonic based cliches and I use them from time to time.And rule number one keep the melody alive.That's me right now. :)

Thank you very much for this Demon. Yeah you're surely right. Jazz walkings are inspiring for sure. But I forgot about 9's chords..I should get back to it. And yeah scales and arpegios are quite good to make up your mind too. I sometimes wonder if your mind has the ability to remember the scales and to come up with melodies...I mea, unconsciously

Next

Return to Free for all...