MTV Turned 25 Today

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Maryland

MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Can you believe it? VH1 is replaying their entire first day. I turned it on and they were showing an old Genesis video 8O

*sigh* remember when they only PLAYED VIDEOS?
Image

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Deansolo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Gutterflower wrote:Can you believe it? VH1 is replaying their entire first day. I turned it on and they were showing an old Genesis video 8O

*sigh* remember when they only PLAYED VIDEOS?


:x Too bad they've been shit for years!
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby LouZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:21 pm

Happy 25th !!!!!

Thanks for ruining music :x
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Rock » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:24 am

8O I wish I just turned 25!!!!!! :cry:

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:46 am

Yeah, happy birthday MTV. Thanks for nothing! :-)

Moderator
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: League City, TX

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Fretman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 am

I saw a few minutes of it yesterday and the videos they were playing were comical...and they were still better than today's programming.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: OBeach town, Florida

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby frethead » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:23 am

25 years??? Oh, everything's getting dark. . . holding on, if not a little shaky. Hey, that's when I started playing guitar!!! Geez, I can still remember the Phil Collins band video "On the Highway," and who could forget The Greg Kihn Band's "( Our love's in) Jeopardy," that "Lunatic Fringe" song, Golden Earring and The Tubes??? Does anybody remember when, several years after they hit the air, they wouldn't play Michael Jackson videos because "He wasn't 'rock 'n roll'?!" Nina Blackwood. O, the dreams . . .
Last edited by frethead on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Springfield Il

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby CubsFan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 am

Just proof that all things definately DO NOT get better with age. I loved MTV in the mid to late eighties and it was a big part of my day actually. I remember after school me and my sister would watch the top requested videos and " Home Sweet Home " by the Crue was like number one for 20 straight weeks. Or when i was working at Marios Pizza in '90 - ' 91 and while we were closing we would all take a break and watch Head Bangers ball back when it was actually decent. Now i cant even stand to look at MTV and all of its Reality shows that suck to high heaven. The music industry and comercial music itself is really at an all time low and wether MTV has anything to do with that i dont know but in my opinion i think they have definately changed the musical landscape for the worse. And as you all know i am a huge fan of the so called " Glam Rock " era and those days had the best music videos ever IMO. Who could forget the Whitesnake videos that made Tawny Kitean a household name or Warrants Cherry Pie video with good ol Bobby Brown it. And Poison and the Crue just to name a few. Well i could go on and on about how MTV was good and now it is just plain shit but i guess il save some space for the rest of you guys to do that.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 pm

CubsFan wrote:Just proof that all things definately DO NOT get better with age. I loved MTV in the mid to late eighties and it was a big part of my day actually. I remember after school me and my sister would watch the top requested videos and " Home Sweet Home " by the Crue was like number one for 20 straight weeks. Or when i was working at Marios Pizza in '90 - ' 91 and while we were closing we would all take a break and watch Head Bangers ball back when it was actually decent. Now i cant even stand to look at MTV and all of its Reality shows that suck to high heaven. The music industry and comercial music itself is really at an all time low and wether MTV has anything to do with that i dont know but in my opinion i think they have definately changed the musical landscape for the worse. And as you all know i am a huge fan of the so called " Glam Rock " era and those days had the best music videos ever IMO. Who could forget the Whitesnake videos that made Tawny Kitean a household name or Warrants Cherry Pie video with good ol Bobby Brown it. And Poison and the Crue just to name a few. Well i could go on and on about how MTV was good and now it is just plain shit but i guess il save some space for the rest of you guys to do that.


I remember the very first video I ever watched on MTV was Metallica's One. That's when that song was in regular rotation. I use to watch Hard 30/60 and Headbanger's Ball faithfully. Those were the good ol' days!

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby LouZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:49 pm

That musical era was fun, especially since most of us listened to hard rock/heavy metal. I certainly enjoyed the 80's and early 90's MTV.

But the problem then, that is definitely still a problem now is that MTV and music videos in general put too much of an emphasis on looks of the band and use of bad boy image, pretty glammy boy image, sex, or whatever else is hot at the moment.

Music isn't diverse, bands are lucky to make it beyond 2 albums, and some music is never given a chance because of the wrong look
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:13 pm

MTV was a great national radio station when all they played were videos. My friends and I would just sit and watch it...like TV! Things changed after they decided to become a network. I don't even watch it anymore...VH1 Classic is what MTV used to be.
Image

All Access Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Shadow » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:14 pm

I have not seen Cable TV in neon yrs for I don't even have Cable anymore. Once they changed/limited the heavy Hard Rock/Metal segments time schedule back in the late 80's-90's that's when I stopped watching them. I'm sure they have different Catagorie sub diversions on MTV for their music segments now but they keep a "limit" on the heavy Rock/Metal to Metal Extreme in low gear. Pity! Anyway, Happy 25th Anniversary to MTV and "please" be more fair minded when coming to the Music Genre of heavy Hard Rock/Metal and it's many Catorgories within itself. Peace!

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby Deansolo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:08 pm

I'd just as soon eat the a**hole out of a skunk than watch the videos on MTV! :x
Last edited by Deansolo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:18 am

Deansolo wrote:I'd just as soon eat the asshole out of a skunk than watch the videos on MTV! :x


Now Dean, that's a pretty thought! Thank you for that...geeze 8O

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: OBeach town, Florida

Re: MTV Turned 25 Today

Postby frethead » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Deansolo wrote:I'd just as soon eat the a**hole out of a skunk than watch the videos on MTV! :x

Yes, Dean, I am with you there! Though,I'm going to stand right over here with a beer and watch you for a little while, buddy! LOL We should bear in mind how we are the lucky ones . . . having lived when the music was so great and it made you feel so damn good to be alive and everything was better because of it! We know the difference between shit and THE SHIT. Do you know what I mean? These kids walking around with their PCPs, laptops, cellphones, skinny little arms and legs, lack of attention, and developing "script" dependency while imitating "badboy" Kanye West or whomever just don't have a clue. That's not hard to understand, and the worst part is that they don't even know it. BANG YER FREAKIN' HEAD is what I say!!! Where in the hell is Jake?! Let's get him in on this. You know? He's more than a little responsible for most of our combined craziness!!! And to think, MTV was created by a Monkee . . .

Next

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests