Ray Gillen Black Sabbath

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Ray Gillen Black Sabbath

Postby mrmetal » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:00 am

Dio is definately the better songwriter. I tend to agree with Rock and Fretman, they really are two different type of singers. Dio has done so much for rock/metal though, the man is a walking legend. I just have the most respect and admiration for him over ANY singer.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:36 am

It's unfair to compare RJD to Gillen like it's unfair to compare Jake to Yngwie. These people sing/play differently with totally different styles. It's basically pointless.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:05 pm

For sure, Dio has an awesomely wide-open, incredibly inspiring voice!!! Regretfully, I must admit that I was thinking of the "Ray" from Deep Purple. Like, duh.
That dude's compared to Dio's? You know what I think. Thankyou, good night!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:46 pm

frethead wrote:For sure, Dio has an awesomely wide-open, incredibly inspiring voice!!! Regretfully, I must admit that I was thinking of the "Ray" from Deep Purple. Like, duh.
That dude's compared to Dio's? You know what I think. Thankyou, good night!

huh? :? Fret, are you talkin' about Ian Gillian?

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:00 pm

Ray's career was too short to compare him to Dio's status as a legend. We'll never know if Ray could have become a legend - certainly he had all of the tools.

I've always thought of Ray as the perfect combination of Paul Rodgers & Robert Plant.

Dio is definitely more of a metal singer, although Ray was never in a heavy metal type of band. The Sun Red Sun project with Al DiMeola had other peoples lyrics and wasn't great to start with. I've never heard Eternal Idol, but I'm curious how Ray sounded and if Iommi's music was any heavier
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:02 am

LouZ wrote:Ray's career was too short to compare him to Dio's status as a legend. We'll never know if Ray could have become a legend - certainly he had all of the tools.

I've always thought of Ray as the perfect combination of Paul Rodgers & Robert Plant.

Dio is definitely more of a metal singer, although Ray was never in a heavy metal type of band. The Sun Red Sun project with Al DiMeola had other peoples lyrics and wasn't great to start with. I've never heard Eternal Idol, but I'm curious how Ray sounded and if Iommi's music was any heavier

LouZ, The Eternal Idol Demos are essential to your collection my friend! IMO, that's some of Ray's best vox, but others will probably disagree with me by saying that.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Yes, Poet, I was referring to Ian Gillan. Ya'll will have to excuse me, please, I've got three kids living here, now! I, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh screw it.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Poets, I will definitely get it.

On a Badlands bootleg I have, before they did a cover of Deep Purple's 'Speed King' Ray says: (Ian Gillan) ain't my Dad, I'm not his kid, let's get that straight right now. Funny stuff.
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Previous

Return to Free for all...