which strings do you use??

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

which strings do you use??

Postby Sixx » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:28 am

i just wonder which guitar stringe people around here use??
I'm intrested in strings that doesnt brake so fast and stay in tune for a long time ;)

I use SIT strings, but is there a better brand out there? 8)

Killer of Giants

Re: which strings do you use??

Postby hashima » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:01 am

Dean Markley Blue Steel CL 9-46 / 0.23mm - 1.17mm

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:06 am

Ernie Ball Hybrid..9-46...Dean Markley 10-46...Ghs Boomers Zakk Wylde sig...(for my Les paul which I rarely use!)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:19 am

Boomers 10s

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:44 am

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:47 pm

I used Ernie Ball strings (9's, and sometimes 8's!) for several years, when I didn't even care what they were, how they were, or whatever. They were everywhere! I remember being mesmerized by the eagle-pelican-cormorant bird thing on the package cover and also being afraid of someone asking what kind of strings I use, which never happens in the real world.
I've pretty much used D'Addario (10-46) strings since I began "using my head," where strings are concerned. I like them for their balance of tone across the spread, they actually feel good to my fingers, and they don't make that brassy pop or "spank" noise. Hint>Hint> Since I began wiping my strings with lighter fuel, I've noticed that my strings last much, much longer than just wiping them with a dry rag. Ofcourse, I'm wiping the back of the neck, the north end of the bridge, the stop-tailpiece, and everywhere my hands touch ( giving special attention to the strings where they crawl over the saddles) after I finish playing now, too, and that makes for a much more enjoyable instrument to hold and play.
My good friend Martin makes the strings for my acoustic.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:36 pm

frethead wrote:I used Ernie Ball strings (9's, and sometimes 8's!) for several years, when I didn't even care what they were, how they were, or whatever. They were everywhere! I remember being mesmerized by the eagle-pelican-cormorant bird thing on the package cover and also being afraid of someone asking what kind of strings I use, which never happens in the real world.
I've pretty much used D'Addario (10-46) strings since I began "using my head," where strings are concerned. I like them for their balance of tone across the spread, they actually feel good to my fingers, and they don't make that brassy pop or "spank" noise. Hint>Hint> Since I began wiping my strings with lighter fuel, I've noticed that my strings last much, much longer than just wiping them with a dry rag. Ofcourse, I'm wiping the back of the neck, the north end of the bridge, the stop-tailpiece, and everywhere my hands touch ( giving special attention to the strings where they crawl over the saddles) after I finish playing now, too, and that makes for a much more enjoyable instrument to hold and play.
My good friend Martin makes the strings for my acoustic.
I can't remember when I last changed strings on my acoustic...I think they were those coated things...Elixir, I think they're called....Anyway, As "Cousin Fretty" just mentioned, I've found that wiping your guitar down after you play does extend the life of your strings considerably,... Although my liquid cleaner of choice is "Ice Blue Aqua Velva" aftershave lotion not lighter fluid. I've been wiping the neck and strings of my guitars with Classic Aqua Velva for about 30 years now. It imparts a nice smooth feel to the strings as the alcohol in the lotion cleans off the gunk, and the emollients in the formula lubricate and protect the strings from rust and corrosion. The best part is that it leaves the guitar and guitar case smelling very fresh...which is especially good when opening the case after a gig in a smelly, stinky, smoky, musty bar or club. I seriously recommend cleaning your strings with "Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva" aftershave lotion. It really works! I give it a 5 star rating ***** :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby Fretman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:18 pm

The D'Addario 10-46 for the acoustic and electric. I'm thinking about checking out some different strings soon, maybe go a little lighter.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:38 pm

Boomers 46-36-26-17-13-10 :)

Postby Gunner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:44 am

Boomers 11-50

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:28 am

ernie ball 9-42..i cant stand the regular slinky jump from 32 to 46 i feel drop d when im in standard tuning yukkkk!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 am

If I'd be a girl I'd use G-strings for sure... (pun hohooo) :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:47 am

09-042 .. preferrably Dean Markley's :D
Last edited by MetalHead on Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby SDBinNY » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Dean Markley Blue Steel,or Dean Markley High Gain Series, .009 to .042. I have very rare breakage issues with either one,and the vast majority of mine are tremmed(see the v body thread).Every other time I play one,I wipe the strings,board,and bridge down with those alcohol prep pads they use for injections.I keep lemon oil in a small spray bottle,and shoot it with that after the alcohol evaporates,then wipe down the board with a polishing cloth.I store spare sets in a zip lock bag that I squeeze all the excess air out of that I can,with one of those silica gel packs you get in your new shoes..

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:51 pm

On my strat 9-46's Ernie Ball or D'Addario.
My PRS 10-52's.
I like the heavier bottom strings for that little extra chunk.
The 10-52's feel better on my shorter scale guitar. Esp. since I use that guitar for my drop D tunes.

Dave

Next

Return to Free for all...