Smoking

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Re: Smoking

Postby jefnel1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:08 am

This is a very interesting subject that will remain open for debate until we get all the smokers out there to quit. As a former smoker of 12 years, my opinion is that smokers don't fully understand the impact of 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers until they themselves become a non-smoker.

Especially in restaurants, the fact is that smoke doesn't mix well with food. Every smoker knows that food is just a segway to that comforting after-dinner cigarette. Every former smoker knows that after you quit, you get your taste buds back and food is much more enjoyable. The same goes for breathing. Hacking in the morning goes away and breathing becomes more enjoyable. That's when taking a deep breath (now that you can) of 2nd hand smoke is really annoying.

Now, bars on the other hand are a perfect place to smoke. Who wants to smell alchohol breath all night? You need the smoke to dry peoples mouths out otherwise you can't carry on a conversation with them due to the dragon breath wafting at you. They banned smoking in bars here in CT. That was stupid.

On the kids thing, it's kinda like 2nd hand smoke. I hated kids until I had one of my own. I didn't understand why they cried and whined all the time and why parents show them off like trophies. I actually used to make mean faces at them and get them to cry while in line at the movies just for a laugh. My catch phrases were "why would anyone ever want kids?" and "most people just shouldn't reproduce".

Well, life has a way of slapping you in the face. After having a kid of my own, I was slightly offended reading Dean's posts! You're too funny man.

Truthfully, having a child grounds you and makes you much less selfish. You're not living for yourself anymore - now you're living to help them live. Like not smoking, then smoking, then not smoking again, I'm sure after my daughter is all grown up and out of the house that I'll be annoyed by kids again. Hopefully not her kids though!
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Re: Smoking

Postby Fakeblue » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:55 pm

jefnel1 wrote:This is a very interesting subject that will remain open for debate until we get all the smokers out there to quit. As a former smoker of 12 years, my opinion is that smokers don't fully understand the impact of 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers until they themselves become a non-smoker.

Especially in restaurants, the fact is that smoke doesn't mix well with food. Every smoker knows that food is just a segway to that comforting after-dinner cigarette. Every former smoker knows that after you quit, you get your taste buds back and food is much more enjoyable. The same goes for breathing. Hacking in the morning goes away and breathing becomes more enjoyable. That's when taking a deep breath (now that you can) of 2nd hand smoke is really annoying.

Now, bars on the other hand are a perfect place to smoke. Who wants to smell alchohol breath all night? You need the smoke to dry peoples mouths out otherwise you can't carry on a conversation with them due to the dragon breath wafting at you. They banned smoking in bars here in CT. That was stupid.

On the kids thing, it's kinda like 2nd hand smoke. I hated kids until I had one of my own. I didn't understand why they cried and whined all the time and why parents show them off like trophies. I actually used to make mean faces at them and get them to cry while in line at the movies just for a laugh. My catch phrases were "why would anyone ever want kids?" and "most people just shouldn't reproduce".

Well, life has a way of slapping you in the face. After having a kid of my own, I was slightly offended reading Dean's posts! You're too funny man.

Truthfully, having a child grounds you and makes you much less selfish. You're not living for yourself anymore - now you're living to help them live. Like not smoking, then smoking, then not smoking again, I'm sure after my daughter is all grown up and out of the house that I'll be annoyed by kids again. Hopefully not her kids though!

The one thing that makes me think I'll never have kids is the 'Dad can you buy this to me ?' situation. You know when you're walking in a mall with your kid and he gets tagged by something in the shop windows. I don't think I would be strong enough to refuse something to him (or her) so consequently I would turn my kid into a spoiled kid, and making end meets would become really hard. Also I'm terrified by the conversation kids can have in schoolyard 'my daddy bought me the new Zepra wheels axis power bike why can't your daddy buy it to you ? '. How can you manage that ? Ho god I'll never be a dad..

Previous

Return to Free for all...