Stagefright

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Stagefright

Postby Fakeblue » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Hello guys,

How long does it takes to get over stage fright ?
I only played live once and I've got totally paralysed by stress. It was for my music school end of year ceremony, all students had to play a song. I had to play a tune called 'Magdalena' on acoustic guitar, some sort of a spanish classical guitar stuff. My finger went far too fast and the song ended in few seconds....in my head everything was so blurry I felt like I finished playing as I just played few notes....later on I understood why my teacher looked at me so strangely....it was the shortest performance of the ceremony.......is everyone first time so catastrophic ? Does it get better fast ?

Killer of Giants

Re: Stagefright

Postby hashima » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:35 am

...hmm ain't easy to say... I had my first gig 2 month ago in school but wasn't that frightened, just worried bout my volume and the length of my cables... it depends on your personal nature if bein in fear or not... maybe those who are should do gig after gig to overcome it...

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:50 am

You will get over that. Then you will get into reacting with people watching you, that is when it gets really cool.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:26 am

when I had my first gig, ofcourse I was a bit nervous,
but when the first tone was played, all that disappeared 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:53 am

Fakeblue wrote:Hello guys,

Stage fright cure: Double Jack with a beer back 10 minutes before the show....voila'....No more stage fright.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby Fretman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:15 am

Deansolo wrote:

Stage fright cure: Double Jack with a beer back 10 minutes before the show....voila'....No more stage fright.

I haven't played with a band in many years, but this approach always did the trick.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:50 am

Deansolo wrote:

lol :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:51 am

Ho thank you guys, that's really nice to hear. I'll go on stage again !! :!: :!: maybe with sunglasses to help fighting the eye starring 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:58 am

lol ...or just try this: imagine all those folks standin in the crowd infronta you are naked... that's simple but it helped me alot when I had to give speeches in class... lol

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:55 pm

NO SUNGLASSES!!! :x Just look above the audience's heads to the back ot the room. this works and you wont look like some new wave idiot from the 80's. :)

Courtesy of deansolo's school of rock. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:05 pm

Deansolo wrote:NO SUNGLASSES!!! :x

Hey, that isn't a reference to me is it? It was friggin' bright outside at that particular gig. :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:03 pm

mrmetal wrote:
Deansolo wrote:NO SUNGLASSES!!! :x

Hey, that isn't a reference to me is it? It was friggin' bright outside at that particular gig. :lol:

Nah, man! Outside gigs are different. It's perfectly acceptable to wear shades outdoors.........as long as they ain't Wayfarers! :lol:

That'd be waaaaay too 80's! LOL! :lol:
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:38 pm

This is such a cool topic, my wife, who is an accomplished rock singer and was in quite a few bands, had this to add:

Yeah, a triple Jack Daniels with a beer back does help alot,... but it will only get you so far. You have to combine the alcohol with other coping skills to deal with stagefright. The most important thing to remember is: The more of a connection that you make with your audience, the more forgiving they will be. You have to reach down and draw out the thing inside you that normally draws people to you, whatever that may be...Charisma, sense of humor, life o' the party, etc...You must amplify that characteristic and try to draw everyone in the audience into your world. Not only will it make them more forgivng, it will also make you feel like you're in a room with a bunch of friends and ease your mind. You can't take yourself too seriously.... and you can't take the gig so seriously that you forget to have fun. the more fun YOU have, the more fun they will have. You can have the worst night in ever, but if the audience likes you, it really won't matter.
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:31 am

hashima wrote:...hmm ain't easy to say... I had my first gig 2 month ago in school but wasn't that frightened, just worried bout my volume and the length of my cables... it depends on your personal nature if bein in fear or not... maybe those who are should do gig after gig to overcome it...
did you play some metal ?

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:53 am

Fakeblue wrote:
hashima wrote:...hmm ain't easy to say... I had my first gig 2 month ago in school but wasn't that frightened, just worried bout my volume and the length of my cables... it depends on your personal nature if bein in fear or not... maybe those who are should do gig after gig to overcome it...
did you play some metal ?

actually I played a guestrole in our school's punk band cuz they wanted me for their first one so I said I'd play their stuff if they'd keep me a lil space for "Fool Like You" and "Lightning Strikes" and they did... it was a great experience for me to pimp up their punk with 80s stuff...

Next

Return to Free for all...