Drummers.....

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Drummers.....

Postby mrmetal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:45 am

Did I miss a musician memo awhile back or something?

Since when did drummers decide it was their place to run a fucking band? We have been through drummers like candy this year. Every single one, I mean every single one has tried to run the band. Mind you, none of them so far has the ability to write music, lyrics, or sing. But it seems like they want to be there to critique the writing process and tell the singers how to sing. I am waiting for one to tell me how to play my guitar, hasn't happend yet....but I am sure it will at the rate this going.

And what is wrong with just playing a damn beat to the song these days? Does there have to be drum rolls and triplets through out the whole song? They have their place but not after every verse in the song.

Are there any drummers out there that aren't drama queens, ego-maniacs, or just plain difficult to get along with? I am going back to midi and my DM5 if this keeps up.

Killer of Giants

Re: Drummers.....

Postby Deansolo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:52 am

Hahaha! :D

Tell 'em to sit their asses behind the kit and shut the f**k up! :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:05 am

Metal, is this technically your band or is it someone else's? I'm just curious, because I don't think you've ever said.

Sorry to hear about your drummer revolving door! I just think work ethic in general got tossed out the door at the turn of the millenium!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:06 pm

Yeah, poets it is my current band....

I just don't get where these guys are coming from. You know damn good and well Neil Peart doesn't tell Geddy how to sing or Alex how to play.

You know for a fact that Tommy Aldridge doesn't tell David Coverdale how to sing, nor would he dare.

Did Bonham do anything but sit behind his kit and bash the shit out them and get drunk?

Where are those guys now? Now they all want to be "involved in the creative process...." well fucking write something down you shithead.

Who do these guys think they are? I wouldn't mind if they came to the table with something other than demands, complaints, or stories.

We had on guy trying to tell us how we should play a riff. He was sitting back there going "like this man, dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah". So I asked him, "...and what key is this in? Which chords?" He says, "I dunno, just play dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah".

I told him he sounded like Beavis and Butthead and that meant absolutely nothing to me and shut the fuck up. He started pouting like a big ass baby....He lasted a week.

Postby Fretman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 pm

I've known some pretty good drummers that weren't control freaks. Keep looking...you'll find one that works out. If I knew how to play drums I'd sit in with you.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:40 pm

I had a Drummer Like that 10 years ago!..When I left (To a Better place!) he took over the singing from behind the Kit..I went to see them..He was Dreadful Trying to do my Phrasing!!...on songs I'd written lyrics to...He then left the Kit Behind and just sang!..he's Now a just a Drummer again!! He is a Good Drummer though..and a Hit with the Ladies!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:51 am

mrmetal wrote:We had on guy trying to tell us how we should play a riff. He was sitting back there going "like this man, dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah". So I asked him, "...and what key is this in? Which chords?" He says, "I dunno, just play dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah".

I told him he sounded like Beavis and Butthead and that meant absolutely nothing to me and shut the fuck up. He started pouting like a big ass baby....He lasted a week.

LMAO!! You're funny, MrMetal. :lol:

Good luck in your search.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:32 am

mrmetal wrote:Yeah, poets it is my current band....

I just don't get where these guys are coming from. You know damn good and well Neil Peart doesn't tell Geddy how to sing or Alex how to play.

You know for a fact that Tommy Aldridge doesn't tell David Coverdale how to sing, nor would he dare.

Did Bonham do anything but sit behind his kit and bash the shit out them and get drunk?

Where are those guys now? Now they all want to be "involved in the creative process...." well fucking write something down you shithead.

Who do these guys think they are? I wouldn't mind if they came to the table with something other than demands, complaints, or stories.

We had on guy trying to tell us how we should play a riff. He was sitting back there going "like this man, dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah". So I asked him, "...and what key is this in? Which chords?" He says, "I dunno, just play dah-nah-nah-nah-dah-nah-nah".

Keep looking man, surely there's someone out there that will be a good fit for you all.

Do you advertise for players or is it strictly word of mouth?

If you advertise, then be specific about what you expect out of a drummer. State that you're not looking for a band leader, but for an experienced drummer. Most of the time if people know where they stand, then they'll usually not step over the lines that are drawn. It pretty much works the same way in companies as you know.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:30 pm

I only do word of mouth...fuck that ad shit...that stuff never works.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:21 am

mrmetal wrote:Yeah, poets it is my current band....

LOL That was some funny-assed shit, Mrmetal!!! O . . . man! LOL You know, drummers are always the little, crazy guy! LOLOL

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:25 am

Hahahaha....another fun thread brought to u by www.jakeelee.com :)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 am

mrmetal wrote:I only do word of mouth...fuck that ad shit...that stuff never works.

I see.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:24 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
mrmetal wrote:I only do word of mouth...fuck that ad shit...that stuff never works.

I see.

Well....I take that back....you get people to come, but it is harder because it's like a blind date. You never know who you are going to get. With word of mouth, you at least have an idea of what people are into...

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:36 am

mrmetal wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:

I see.

Well....I take that back....you get people to come, but it is harder because it's like a blind date. You never know who you are going to get. With word of mouth, you at least have an idea of what people are into...

Well, I was thinking by telling them your expectations up front in the ad it would take the guess work out of your search. I'm basing this on what I do as a recruiter, but what I recruit for is waaaayyy different. All I have to do is scare people by telling them I'm sending him/her for a drug test! :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 am

Damn, bud! I promise to never laugh at anything, ever again, Rock!

Next

Return to Free for all...