POD XT Live

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

POD XT Live

Postby mrmetal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:06 am

OK....I am new to amp modeling by today's standards. I bought one of these units to simplify my amp setup and have effects and sounds on one piece of gear.

I am totally impressed with this thing. So impressed, that my MESA/Boogie tube preamp and poweramp are currently in my closet in retirement. I am running a hafler power amp with a Marshall cab and have no problem whatsoever getting the tones I want out of this.

I can go from an Alex Lifeson "Moving Pictures" tone to "Grace Under Pressure" to Black Sabbath "Heaven and Hell" tone easily and without any latency. I even programmed a nice Jake tone with it using the JCM model.

I am really impressed on how well this unit responds to picking dynamics and feedback....similar to a tube amp. This thing sounds so close, I don't care that it isn't a tube amp. Even my guitar player bud that plays professionally with a triple rectifier was blown away when he heard my patches. Yeah, I had to program it, they aren't the stock sounds....so what. I have almost a pro-level tone for the price of a cabinet. Besides, I really don't care what other musicians or snobby sound men think. If the people in the audience clap and tell me, "man, your guitar sounded great." I am satisfied.

Eventually, I may go back to a tube amp, but for right now, this plug and play simplicity has made gigging much easier to deal with.

Has anyone else here bought or tried on of these things? I am curious to know what others think about it.

Killer of Giants

Re: POD XT Live

Postby MetalHead » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 am

Tube amps?
SS amps is the way to go.

Long live Randall :twisted:

I've thought about getting a PODxt(the floorbean model)
but I invested in a Randall head and a Marshall cab,
and I love it ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 am

MetalHead wrote:Tube amps?

and I love it ;)

LOL....you know, the guy that sings for us has been on my ass to give Randall a shot. He knew Dime back before they made it and played the same circuit in and around Dallas. Right now, I am satisfied with what I am doing. I was a POD non-believer when I tried the bean out about 5 years ago, but I have to say, the models on this thing are outstanding.

I am really digging the pedal modelers on it.

Waiting to hear Mr. Analog (yes, that is you Dean) chime in on this. :wink:

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:15 pm

MR.METAL

Dude.hope all is well.I own one of these little guy`s.For sure simplicity
it`s a godsend.I`m currently programming my Pod to start jamming
professionally again.Bring a couple guitar`s and i`m good to go.People
are so scummy nowaday`s they`ll try to steal your gear.As you well know
I own alot of high end gear and have alway`s worried about it.I own the
optional pedal board which i recommend for switching all your patches.
Did you get that set of photo`s of that custom V?

Take care

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:26 pm

SHREDDER1 wrote:MR.METAL

Dude.hope all is well.I own one of these little guy`s....
Did you get that set of photo`s of that custom V?

Take care

Well look who my post dusted off from the woodshed. How are you my friend? Yes, nice guitar I must say.

I almost went for the Vetta head, but I figured, I had enough power amps laying around, I just needed the pre. There is going to be some stuff hit Ebay soon from my account because frankly, this thing does all I need it to do. I am not really an effect nerd, but I play alot of Rush and you can't really do it justice without the chorus, reverbs, and delays.

Things are good....still looking for that special drummer that has chops and wants to play with two older guys to form a power trio. What really sucks is we have built an small support infrastructure and have a promo guy that can get us and wants to get us some good paying local gigs....yet, we can't find a drummer that wants to do it. Go figure. :roll:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 pm

mrmetal wrote:
MetalHead wrote:Tube amps?

and I love it ;)

LOL....you know, the guy that sings for us has been on my ass to give Randall a shot. He knew Dime back before they made it and played the same circuit in and around Dallas. Right now, I am satisfied with what I am doing. I was a POD non-believer when I tried the bean out about 5 years ago, but I have to say, the models on this thing are outstanding.

I am really digging the pedal modelers on it.

Waiting to hear Mr. Analog (yes, that is you Dean) chime in on this. :wink:

Hahaha! :lol:

You'll be back! In 6 months you'll be dusting off your Boogie.... It takes that long for your ears to realize it doesn't sound real. :)

IMO amp/effects modelers are like "the other woman".....great for a cheap thrill, but when it comes right down to it, ALL serious guitarists eventually go home to their tubes and their analog pedals. :wink:
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:29 am

LOL....Well, I haven't sold it, so it is still around.

I just was really never satisfied with the way it sounded. I mean the tone was great, but the tube hiss was freaking annoying. I was able to back off the gain to reduce it, but what is the point of that?

I guess it is because the boogie is great for Rock, Blues, the basics and I wanted a more modern tone and to be heavier. Even down-tuned it just didn't have enough balls and grind for what I wanted to do. With the XT, I dial it and I am there.

Face it Dean, you are a tube snob and I am just not that serious. :D

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Hi,
This is absolutley true.You would be going back to your tube amps as
Dean Solo has stated.I used to take my dual rectifier and Budda Super
Drive everywhere I use to perform.You get scum literally waiting to turn your back to take off with a head.Sometime`s you play in a House of
Blue`s and then sometime`s you play a shit bar.Plus I use to play
with 3000.00 worth of boutique pedal`s that was begging to be stolen.
Went back to relaible Boss pedals,then to the X-t for simplicity.I own other
boutique amp`s and understand what beautiful tone they produce.I
need roadies again.

Mr.Metal....everything has been fine.I`ll be getting my chop`s up and
start working out again.I`m just in need of a bass player who might
be avaliable this weekend for a jam.Take care and we`ll be in touch.

Return to Free for all...