What type of pickups do you have installed in your axe ?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

which one is your brand ?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:40 am

EMG
23%
Dimarzio
15%
Seymor Duncan
54%
Bill Lawrence
8%
Carvin
No votes
Fender
No votes
Gibson
No votes

Total votes : 13
Ultimate Sinner

What type of pickups do you have installed in your axe ?

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm just curious to find out what are you using mostly (brands,types,models,active,passive) and what kind of sound do you have ? I have one schecter with two hambucker type pickups EMG h4 on the bridge and h4a on the neck position.I'm happy with that passive low budget configuration I mean these pups are hot enough for me.The bridge is really distinct - sharp,crisp ,full of punchness and presence .The neck is good for rhythm too not only for solos or non-distorted clean sound.It suits me perfectly for arpeggios or tapping. There is no noise with this set of pups.I'm using behringer v-amp>marshall combo or directly peavy bandit 112 .I have also old Ibanez Rg450 my baby :)originally equipped with Ibanez passive v1 ,s1 ,v2 (neck hambucker,single coil,bridge hambucker) .I do like v1 on the neck position more than emgh4a ,it has nice clear,warm,rounded tone .I think v1 is even better than dimarzio paf pro ,a friend of mine owns Ibanez rg2550 with paf pro and I can say it's only the name "Dimarzio" nothing else I mean the paf pro model.I'm wondering how does the dimarzio evolution hambucker sound ? If i have enough money I'll try one of these on the bridge position instead of v2 which is also very aggressive.
Last edited by Demon_A_Go-Go on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Loser

Re: What type of pickups do you have installed in your axe ?

Postby Hell_Tanner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:09 pm

I use Seymour Duncan JB's and I also have a JB Jr. on my 70's Strat reissue.
I'm aiming for a middy, browny sound, a mix between EVH and Jake's live sound during Badlands. Not a lot of distorsion, just a big crunch with an OD-1 set pretty low to give that extra kick. I learned that too much distorsion kills distorsion, you think it sounds good, put a bit more and more...record some of your rehearsals and you finally realize you sound like shit and cheesy with all that distorsion.
So, yes, JB's aren't too over the top and help me get the sound I'm looking for. Yet, I'm open to experimentation and I'd like to try more in the future, maybe some Pearly Gates or '59's...maybe even give DiMarzio's a try although I'm not too keen on the sound people get when they stick these in their axes.
Next pickup I'll buy is from GFS pickups, they have a humbucker version of the lipstick tube pickups, I'll definitely try one of these!

That's the kind of sound I'm usually getting although this was recorded with a stock Les Paul Custom with stock PU's (so no JB's here) and that the sound can appear a bit more distorted than it really is, blame it on the mic:

Sample
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:34 pm

some of my strat have stk 1 stacked Seymour duncans some have mini JB'S and Mini 59's my teles have dual rails I only use seymour Duncans
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm

I have a screaming L500L from Bill Lawrence in mine :)
it's a vintage 70's model too :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Right now, Seymour Duncans humbuckers. Hoping to try out EMG's.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 am

That's the kind of sound I'm usually getting although this was recorded with a stock Les Paul Custom with stock PU's (so no JB's here) and that the sound can appear a bit more distorted than it really is, blame it on the mic:

Sample

That's good idea to post samples .
I do lile your sound Hell_tanner.In the middle did you switch to the neck ?
here is example how my bridge ibanez v2 sounds with lots of gain.. v-amp and peavey bandit combo no mic ,directly on line in.
http://z13.zupload.com/download.php?fil ... epath=2974

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:04 am

urm could some 1 help me..i have a jackson dk1 an i really am not enjoying the sound atm..its gotten old an 2 distorted!
i need new pickups..what can u recomend? i want that 80's sound a mix of evh and jake wit the dynamics of vai!..please help! : )

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:14 am

crisguitar wrote:urm could some 1 help me..i have a jackson dk1 an i really am not enjoying the sound atm..its gotten old an 2 distorted!
i need new pickups..what can u recomend? i want that 80's sound a mix of evh and jake wit the dynamics of vai!..please help! : )

Hey man...what amp do u have for starters?????......then I can guide u on what u need.

Also I am a major seymour duncan fan, even though I have used EMG's in the past.....If I am changing from stock pickups, humbuckers I use seymour duncan full shreds, good rocky bright clean metal rock sound, and very rippy through a couple of JCM800 marshalls....really depends alot on what amps u are using, just remember u dont want to lose that warmth, always a valve amp for me, transitor amps suk, but can be cool, depends on amp pickup combo bigtime, so buy a pickup that suits your whole Guitar-Amp-Pickup combo.....makes all the difference. :)

Ow. and I still use Boss pedals, I dont use these fancy fkn effects racks....I got a Wah-wah, digital delay, analogue delay, chorus, overdrive and an equalizer and I can get anything I want out of that litle setup. :) well everything I need to play. :)

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:34 am

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:

Sample

That's good idea to post samples .
I do lile your sound Hell_tanner.In the middle did you switch to the neck ?
here is example how my bridge ibanez v2 sounds with lots of gain.. v-amp and peavey bandit combo no mic ,directly on line in.
http://z13.zupload.com/download.php?fil ... epath=2974

Thanx, glad you like it. Yes, I switch to the neck pickup on my Les Paul for the ending lick. You can hear a *click*. This is just Les Paul Custom>OD-1>JCM800.

And yes, those Vamp's sound pretty good, I bought one in October and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Is it a Steve Vai song you're playing?
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:57 am

Yes it's a steve vai lick but i don't know the name of the song.I learned it from video lesson.

Ow. and I still use Boss pedals, I dont use these fancy fkn effects racks....I got a Wah-wah, digital delay, analogue delay, chorus, overdrive and an equalizer and I can get anything I want out of that litle setup. well everything I need to play.

You have excellent gear I'm still dreaming to have enough money to buy real tube amplifier and couple of these pedals :wink:

p.s.
So far nobody mention any active pups ?

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 am

Rock wrote:
crisguitar wrote:urm could some 1 help me..i have a jackson dk1 an i really am not enjoying the sound atm..its gotten old an 2 distorted!

Hey man...what amp do u have for starters?????......then I can guide u on what u need.

Also I am a major seymour duncan fan, even though I have used EMG's in the past.....If I am changing from stock pickups, humbuckers I use seymour duncan full shreds, good rocky bright clean metal rock sound, and very rippy through a couple of JCM800 marshalls....really depends alot on what amps u are using, just remember u dont want to lose that warmth, always a valve amp for me, transitor amps suk, but can be cool, depends on amp pickup combo bigtime, so buy a pickup that suits your whole Guitar-Amp-Pickup combo.....makes all the difference. :)

Ow. and I still use Boss pedals, I dont use these fancy fkn effects racks....I got a Wah-wah, digital delay, analogue delay, chorus, overdrive and an equalizer and I can get anything I want out of that litle setup. :) well everything I need to play. :)

hey dude...sorry i should have said! well i have a fender Hotrod deville 2x12 tube amp an i run both guitars,jackson and gibson through an overdrive pedal,wah an a chorus...im glad u replyed coz u no 4 sure what sound i am on about..u no a classic 80's sound!..oh yeh an its not a dk1 its a dk2..i pressed the wrong key! whops lol.
an ur rig sounds sweeet dude!

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:02 am

Main guitar - 1996 Fender Strat. - EMG SA w/ presence control (once you go active, you'll never go back).

Second guitar - 1995 Warmoth - Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in bridge, Pearly Gates in neck, both wired to split into single coils.

Third guitar - 1989 Yamaha RGX series guitar w/ stock pickups - HSS combination - they actually sound pretty good too.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 am

once you go active, you'll never go back

What is so much better ? Is there any need of extra electornics,batteries etc. when you install one of these ? I've read that my emgs h4z are passive dublicat of emg 81,85 .What is the sound difference between passive and active pickups?

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:12 am

Demon, in my strat it made a huge difference in noise cancelation and allowing me to shape my tone, course a lot of that could be due to the presence control too. The sustain is great too now. Supposedly it is due to a weaker magnetic field allowing the strings to vibrate longer. Maybe it's a lot of Marketing garbage by EMG, but I can tell a big difference in my strat.

I suppose it might not make a big difference with humbuckers.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:00 am

...and a Duncan TB-5 in the bridge of my new one :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Next

Return to Free for all...