what got u started playing the guitar!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

what got u started playing the guitar!

Postby crisguitar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 am

wen was 7 my dad came home with an acoustic that he was given by a friend at work!...it had had like 10 owners previously but hey i wasnt complaining! my dad used to love 70's rock music an would always play his deep purple lp's or van halen ..etc..i guess i just wanted to be like my dads heros.
i got lessons and the rest is hisotry!..but a lot of the drive was from my dads music.

Killer of Giants

Re: what got u started playing the guitar!

Postby stratattack » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:09 am

At the age of 10 I first heard Kiss Alive and then a I saw Jeff Beck with buddy gye that night at the orpheum in Boston with my dad That when I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. and my dad and Grand father as well as my uncle Gregg all started teaching me.
been playing ever since.
Last edited by stratattack on Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:10 am

Dokken - "In My Dreams" video. George Lynch blew me away. From that point on, I've played guitar... all because of George Lynch.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:56 pm

My entire family is musical so it was a given. But what started me with the guitar was the Beatles. When I was 3 years old I wanted to be a Beatle (like everybody in 1965). My mom had this antique hand mirror that was shaped like a violin. I thought it looked like Paul McCartneys (Bass) guitar, so I would grab this hand mirror flip it over and mime to Beatles songs in front of the big mirror in my parents bedroom. That's how I got the bug. But the sickness didn't really manifest itself until my early teens though. That's when I got a "real" guitar and had my brother teach me chords. :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Slash and Kirk Hammett are the reason why I started playing guitar but back when I was between 6/10 years old I was already banging on those little toy guitars and sliding with my knees on the carpet, got some bad burns doing that :roll: :lol: My folks bought me several of these little guitars, I guess I was banging them too hard. :lol:
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Randy Rhoads plain and simple started me on guitar but i grasped on other guitarists and yea
couldnt stop listenin to Ozzy albums

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:30 am

Buddy Holly, Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, CCR (John Fogerty) and of course George Harrison.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 am

Bengal65 wrote:Buddy Holly, Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, CCR (John Fogerty) and of course George Harrison.

Chet Atkins. What a legend. I tried to learn some of his stuff, and just gave up in frustration. Guess I am just a metal guitarist.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Yea, my teachers in grade school were Chet Atkins fans and played mostly Jazz. So my initial introduction was nothing but Jazz and Country/Rockabilly, Chet and Les Paul. I never was too good until I started playing rock and listening by ear. If you want a really good lesson in playing melodically and translating that to shredder type licks, take a listen to the Beatles and George Harrison in particular! George played awesome lead guitar and somehow really carried the instrumental part of the song. This is something you don't here that much anymore. I realized this when I played in a Beatles tribute band. Man, I had a lot of learning to do. There is a "white" hardcopy book with scores in it of all the Beatles songs. When I got it, it really opened my eyes.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Bengal65 wrote:Yea, my teachers in grade school were Chet Atkins fans and played mostly Jazz. So my initial introduction was nothing but Jazz and Country/Rockabilly, Chet and Les Paul. I never was too good until I started playing rock and listening by ear. If you want a really good lesson in playing melodically and translating that to shredder type licks, take a listen to the Beatles and George Harrison in particular! George played awesome lead guitar and somehow really carried the instrumental part of the song. This is something you don't here that much anymore. I realized this when I played in a Beatles tribute band. Man, I had a lot of learning to do. There is a "white" hardcopy book with scores in it of all the Beatles songs. When I got it, it really opened my eyes.

I have "the complete Beatles Scores" too! what a great book! I love it being the HUGE Beatles fan that I am. One of my prized possesions!
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 pm

this guy.

"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Return to Free for all...