Your First and Last...Concert

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: BFE

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Doobie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 pm

I still have every one of my ticket stubs. I keep them in a photo album. I even wrote who the opening bands were on the back of stubs because the majority of the tickets didn't list the openers or either the ticket handlers would rip the ticket into and destroy the openers names. I also even went as far as writing who I went to the shows with on the back of them, too! lol. I "was" such a nerd.

Moderator
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: League City, TX

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Fretman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:53 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fretman wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fretman wrote:True....I saw Savatage at the 19th Hole on their last tour and basically just paid a cover charge to get in.


As you know, I'm a huge Sava fan, but I've only been into them since 2002. I havn't seen a full Savatage show, but I did see the reunion with Doc Walchoz at ProgPower V in 2004. They played under the name of Weapons of Mass Destruction. It was something due to their management, blah, blah, blah...


I saw them back in 90-91 at a small club in Houston during the Gutter Ballet tour. John Oliva was still a skinny dude at the time, and Criss Oliva and Chris Caffery were both in the band. I also saw them later that year with Testament and Dead Horse at a larger venue. Another amazing show. A funny thing about Testament's set...Chuck Billy spent the whole evening spitting into the air and catching it back in his mouth...very impressive. :lol:


You're a lucky man getting to see Criss in his prime! :cry:

Do you think we'll see another Savatage album or do you think they've thrown the towel in?

I'm leaning toward some Live DVD/CD compilation, but that's it. I think those guys are too busy making the big bucks with Trans-Siberian Orchestra nowadays.


There will definitely be another record. They just take longer breaks in between these days.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Doobie wrote:I still have every one of my ticket stubs. I keep them in a photo album. I even wrote who the opening bands were on the back of stubs because the majority of the tickets didn't list the openers or either the ticket handlers would rip the ticket into and destroy the openers names. I also even went as far as writing who I went to the shows with on the back of them, too! lol. I "was" such a nerd.


LMAO! I did the same thing-I have my stubs in an album, and I also wrote down the opening bands for each show (cuz yeah...lots of times they didn't even have that on there) AND who I went to the concert with. Hey, if you don't write it down, you'll forget!

Nice to know that I'm not alone in my concert nerdness :wink:

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Deansolo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Doobie wrote:I still have every one of my ticket stubs. I keep them in a photo album. I even wrote who the opening bands were on the back of stubs because the majority of the tickets didn't list the openers or either the ticket handlers would rip the ticket into and destroy the openers names. I also even went as far as writing who I went to the shows with on the back of them, too! lol. I "was" such a nerd.


That ain't nerdy! That's Cool! Keeps those memories fresh! I wish I had've done that. Mine are just stuffed in an old box.

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: BFE

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Doobie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Ok ... dug out the "stub album" and located my first. As I stated earlier it was REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger and two other bands I couldn't recall. Here's the verbage I wrote on the stub:
Nancy, Jenny and me - July 13, 1980 - 65,000 people
REO, Seger, Point Blank, The Rockets - ticket price $12.00

Funny thing - I have another stub with Point Blank listed as the opener and, to tell you the truth, can't remember who they are or what they played! They also opened for a show I saw in Oct. '81 for Triumph - $8.00. Someone help me if you can. Who were they?

But check this jewel out ... Sun., Oct. 19, 1986 - $14.50 - Opener Malmsteen, headliner - Triumph. OMG that was absolutely the loudest (but crisply so) concert I've ever attended! I thought my ears would surely bleed that night.

Secret Loser
User avatar
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: France

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Hell_Tanner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Doobie wrote:Funny thing - I have another stub with Point Blank listed as the opener and, to tell you the truth, can't remember who they are or what they played! They also opened for a show I saw in Oct. '81 for Triumph - $8.00. Someone help me if you can. Who were they?


Point Blank! Wow, you saw them! Great southern rock band from Texas, they were in the Lynyrd Skynyrd/Blackfoot league. You should remember the singer, big and tall man with a gravely voice. They were pretty good in my opinion, they released 6 albums but they never make it as big as Skynyrd or Blackfoot, too bad.

Image

That's one of their best album:

Image
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Deansolo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm

Okay, okay..That's a good one but check out this diamond....Friday June 26th, 1981...8:00 pm ....San Diego Fox theater....KGB,,,Marc Berman and Avalon Attractions present....BLIZZARD of OZZ with OZZY OSBOURNE! Speial Guest: MOTORHEAD!

Orchestra Level, Row X (24) seat 16 .....dead center!

Price of admission: $9.75 :D :P :wink:

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby mrmetal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:01 pm

Hell_Tanner wrote:Point Blank! Wow, you saw them! Great southern rock band from Texas,


Yeah Buddy!

On a roll!

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 am

Fretman wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fretman wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Fretman wrote:True....I saw Savatage at the 19th Hole on their last tour and basically just paid a cover charge to get in.


As you know, I'm a huge Sava fan, but I've only been into them since 2002. I havn't seen a full Savatage show, but I did see the reunion with Doc Walchoz at ProgPower V in 2004. They played under the name of Weapons of Mass Destruction. It was something due to their management, blah, blah, blah...


I saw them back in 90-91 at a small club in Houston during the Gutter Ballet tour. John Oliva was still a skinny dude at the time, and Criss Oliva and Chris Caffery were both in the band. I also saw them later that year with Testament and Dead Horse at a larger venue. Another amazing show. A funny thing about Testament's set...Chuck Billy spent the whole evening spitting into the air and catching it back in his mouth...very impressive. :lol:


You're a lucky man getting to see Criss in his prime! :cry:

Do you think we'll see another Savatage album or do you think they've thrown the towel in?

I'm leaning toward some Live DVD/CD compilation, but that's it. I think those guys are too busy making the big bucks with Trans-Siberian Orchestra nowadays.


There will definitely be another record. They just take longer breaks in between these days.


I like your optimism and I hope you're right!

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Olaf » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
mrmetal wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:My first concert was Nelson at the Civic Colesium in Knoxville, TN. Enuff Z Nuff opened for them.

My last was ProgPower VI in Atlanta, GA in September of 2005. Stratovarius, Angra, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, Conception, and Circus Maximus rocked Earthlink Live! \nn/


I am jamming to Conception right now. I heard Epica is on the bill this year.


Yeah, Epica is the Saturday night headliner. I hope he puts up a really good power metal act on Friday night. I'd prefer Masterplan, but I think they're too expensive for him.


Epica is actually in the number four spot on Saturday and not the 5th headliner spot.
Last edited by Olaf on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:43 am

Masterplan is probably an expensive act to get. I bet Glen blew a wad getting Stratovarius here last year. Damn, that was a good show.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:02 pm

mrmetal wrote:Masterplan is probably an expensive act to get. I bet Glen blew a wad getting Stratovarius here last year. Damn, that was a good show.


Stratovarius put on a very good/polished show! They looked and sounded like veterans, which is a good thing!

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Olaf wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
mrmetal wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:My first concert was Nelson at the Civic Colesium in Knoxville, TN. Enuff Z Nuff opened for them.

My last was ProgPower VI in Atlanta, GA in September of 2005. Stratovarius, Angra, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, Conception, and Circus Maximus rocked Earthlink Live! \nn/


I am jamming to Conception right now. I heard Epica is on the bill this year.


Yeah, Epica is the Saturday night headliner. I hope he puts up a really good power metal act on Friday night. I'd prefer Masterplan, but I think they're too expensive for him.


Epica is actually in the nimber four spot on Saturday and not the 5th headliner spot.


I was thinking Epica was a headliner. Huh...makes me wonder what he has up his sleeve for that night then....

Could it be Primal Fear! \nn/ Or could ProgPower handle Primal Fear? :twisted:

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: BFE

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Doobie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Thank you for the pic, Hell Tanner. That did the trick! I do remember them now. I was going to Google them last night but got too tired. (it just SUCKS getting old ... getting tired all early and such ... not remembering who Point Blank were ... etc etc etc. Now give me back my Geritol, please!)

Secret Loser
User avatar
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: France

Re: Your First and Last...Concert

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 pm

You're welcome! Actually, it's pretty hard to find any pics or infos about Point Blank, there is no website, nothing, just bits and pieces here and there...
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest