St. Anger... Metallica's worst album?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

St. Anger... Metallica's worst album?

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:04 am

Okay so I decided to listen to songs from this album again. It doesn't sound so bad as it was when I listened to it three years ago. It's probably because I picked up the guitar by then. But the thing is that this doesn't sound like Metallica at ALL. Maybe if a different were playing this exaxt same material, I'm sure that it would have done greater. So do you like or hate this album? :o
"Hahaha, you don't see rockstars with straight A's in high school and such," says johnthebrucelee. "Actually, that only goes to show that playin' guitar ain't rocket science," Deansolo remarked. ;)

Killer of Giants

Re: St. Anger... Metallica's worst album?

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:07 am

Never heard it.......I gave up on new Metallica years ago.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:47 am

I gave it a shot when it first came out and it wasnt that bad. Everybody expects Metallica to make Kill em All every time out and that really isnt fair to them. When those dudes first started out they were young and hungry and there views on things were probably 100% different then they are now and not to mention they have become rich beyond beleif and grown alot older and lost some of the angst and hunger that fueled them years ago. I think this next CD will put them right back on top and with new relaeses from Ozzy and Heaven and Hell coming out it should be a rockin spring.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:37 pm

I agree with Deano here. Metallica just hasn't been the same since Cliff died. I much rather listen to Megadeath or Testament.

Postby jefnel1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:51 pm

The thing that's funny about Metallica is that they're the modern day Dokken! They conform to whatever THEY think is the mainstream not only in their music, but their looks and brand of hair gel. I've never heard the entire St. Anger CD, or Load or Re-Load for that matter. They took such a different direction from Justice, to the black album, that they just seemed to be another band that didn't really know what they wanted to do, so they just did what everyone else was doing at the time.

If they had stopped after the black album, that would have been fine with me.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby THOR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:14 pm

I was a huge metallifan! As always with my favorite bands (did someone mention Dokken?) I always buy their new stuff, although I am usually disapionted. St. Anger is terrible! Load & Reload were not good, but St. Anger was the worst! Hoping for a good new album from them. Megadeth seem to have returned with their last album.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Daynah » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 am

St. Anger is horrible.....Actually they haven't put out a decent album since Justice......Speaking of Justice, I would love to see them remix that album with the bass turned up......

Postby Fretman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:13 am

Not a good record at all. I agree with Mr. Metal...they haven't been the same since Cliff Burton died. To me, those first 3 records are what Metallica is all about. I don't relate to any of their later records.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:20 am

Deansolo wrote:Never heard it.......I gave up on new Metallica years ago.

Ditto!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:45 am

Fretman wrote:Not a good record at all. I agree with Mr. Metal...they haven't been the same since Cliff Burton died. To me, those first 3 records are what Metallica is all about. I don't relate to any of their later records.

I really couldn't get into Justice for all either. That is when I really noticed a big difference in the sound and the song writing. Slayer kicks their ass.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Metallica stopped being good when they
ran out of Mustaine riffs 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby Fretman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 am

MetalHead wrote:Metallica stopped being good when they
ran out of Mustaine riffs 8)

:lol: Gotta love Dave.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:46 am

mrmetal wrote:
Fretman wrote:Not a good record at all. I agree with Mr. Metal...they haven't been the same since Cliff Burton died. To me, those first 3 records are what Metallica is all about. I don't relate to any of their later records.

I really couldn't get into Justice for all either. That is when I really noticed a big difference in the sound and the song writing. Slayer kicks their ass.

I thought ...and justice for all was a really good album, but the production was lacking big time. That was the first disc I bought from the band when I was in middle school! :lol: I'm not sure why the production is so rough on that record? I enjoyed the black album as well, but they weren't the same band for sure. After that, I completely lost interest in the band.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:03 am

I don't listen to any Metallica beyond Justice.

Poets, they were recording that album when they toured in Van Halen's Monsters of Rock back in 1988. I remember reading articles in RIP and Metal Edge that said they recorded that album 'all over the place' -wherever they could get some studio time while on the road. So maybe that accounts for the production.

...damn...MIDDLE SCHOOL!? haha I was already out and about :wink:

Postby skezza » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:24 pm

to be honest. ive not listened to anything after and Justice. There best albums were Ride the Lightning and and Justice IMO. But master of puppets is ok

Next

Return to Free for all...