St. Anger... Metallica's worst album?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: St. Anger... Metallica's worst album?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:51 am

Gutterflower wrote:I don't listen to any Metallica beyond Justice.

Poets, they were recording that album when they toured in Van Halen's Monsters of Rock back in 1988. I remember reading articles in RIP and Metal Edge that said they recorded that album 'all over the place' -wherever they could get some studio time while on the road. So maybe that accounts for the production.

...damn...MIDDLE SCHOOL!? haha I was already out and about :wink:

That's an interesting tidbit of information. I've never heard of a band doing that before.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:That's an interesting tidbit of information. I've never heard of a band doing that before.

Zeppelin did it:

"Led Zeppelin II was largely written and recorded on the road, no small feat considering the pace of their touring."

from this Cameron Crowe piece:

http://www.led-zeppelin.com/bio.html

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 pm

All very strong solid re-plies above as for me well, I only have a couple of METALLICA albums and feel their quite heavy & genuine especially the S&M Symphony album/Cd and DVD in which I totally love. They did an excellent job with that heavy Metal meets the Orchestra plus I have the Load & Garage Inc albums (the covers) in which I digg also. I don't have the St. Anger album because I was totally angry that Jason Newsted is not on it. I know that's being foolish but I was very angry w/how Jason was not accepted back to the fold so to speak and of course even though I don't have any of METALLICA earlier treasures like Masters of Puppets, Kill Em All (oh, my goodness what a title freaked me out when I first saw it back in the 80's I'm like could they had said "Save Em All" heee, heeee! Just playing), the Black Album (Jason's Debut is on this one) etc.,. I certainly cherish Cliff Burton as well :cry: may he rest in sweet harmony. I saw him w/his brothers in crime at that Day On the Green in 1982/or was it 1985 (well it was the early '80's) and his live performance/musicianship was & is out of this World very amazing young man & Bassist musician he was and won't be forgotten. Much respects to Lars, James and Kirk the remainding full force of METALLICA fame/bring fame Bassist Jason back please! Thank you! :idea:

Postby jwilliams » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm

yeah i agree since cliff died (rest his soul)!!! they just aint got the energy like no heart. the load cd,reload cd and the saint anger cd all suck the big 1. ... i was listening too bands like testament,(suicidal tendencys, but then lost dimebag darrell abbott to some loonie) R.I.P. .........

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 am

skezza wrote:But master of puppets is ok

only ok ? 8O :cry:

Master of Puppets is super :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:23 pm

St. Anger is probably my least favorite CD that I own. I saw it in the stores one day and I figured, Hey, its Metallica it can't be THAT bad... I was wrong. I don't get anything out of listening to it, it bores me. The black album is ok, but nothing after.

Postby skezza » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:25 am

okay, ive listened to more after :P its between St Anger and Load
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm

I really think the demise of Metallica was Bob Rock who basically ripped the sacs off those boys. They should have ditched Bob after Load and Re-Load, regrouped and kicked some ass. Metallica also became it's own worst enemy. Lars with the Napster ordeal, James was slowly coming to terms with alcohol abuse and Kirk was basically useless after Lars decided to eliminate solos. Newsted left for Echobrain and then Voivod which paved the way for Bob Rock to play bass LOL. I urge everyone to rent Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster DVD and you will see why St Anger was just a trainwreck on a collision course. Those guys no longer have any confidence or identity. Even Kip Winger was quoted as saying "Metallica have become the jokes they always though we were!!!". Somewhere right now, Kip Winger is throwing darts at Metallica posters!!!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 am

skezza wrote:okay, ive listened to more after :P its between St Anger and Load

You could actually sit through those albums? You deserve an award! :lol:

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 pm

That "Some kind of monster" video they put out is why i could never listen to metallica seriously again. If you've ever watched it,then you know why :roll:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I know everyone has their off days, but this is just hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EBp4Wan10

Postby skezza » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:23 pm

You could actually sit through those albums? You deserve an award! :lol:
Yeah it was pretty painful. I mean, apart from the fact the drums conspiracy had already started. Forget this whole trash can thing was a St Anger trick, no no, that started way before :lol: listen to that 2x4 or whatever its called, fuck the drumming is awful and the sound is nasty. Still, yes, i got those albums (Load, Reload and St. Anger) and it was just painful. Do i still get my medal ? :lol:

yellowshirtguy wrote:I know everyone has their off days, but this is just hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EBp4Wan10
thats talent that is! some people just dont recognize it when they see it, or hear it :lol:
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Previous

Return to Free for all...