Super Bowl Weekend coming up

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Super Bowl Weekend coming up

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Time to party like it's Super Bowl Sunday
By Jon Ackerman
NBCSports.comPosted: Jan.31, 2007, 5:28 pm EST

In case you hadn't heard, the Super Bowl is on Sunday. Who's playing? Does it matter?

Of course you know when the big game is. You've had the party planned for months. You've already arranged to make Monday an off day. You brought your lunch to work this week so you could buy an extra square in the pool.

Especially in this country, but not only in this country, Super Bowl Sunday is an unofficial holiday. Which begs the question: Shouldn't it just become official? Patriot Day is commonly listed in U.S. calendars, why not the culmination of each NFL season?

The Super Bowl is more of a cause for a party than bringing in the New Year. There's no question Super Bowl Sunday is a phenomenon like no other. But how did we get here?

Is it the media's fault? A total of 131 international media organizations will be on hand to cover Super Bowl XLI. Mexico is sending 35 outlets, the United Kingdom 19, Japan 18, Canada 17 and Germany 12. A total of 54 international broadcasters will televise XLI to 232 countries and territories in 33 languages. And for the first time, the world feed will be available in Hi-Def. Sorry, which football is the world's game again?

Or can we blame the advertisers? What cost $42,000 in 1967 -- a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl -- now runs $2.6 million. After all, there are those select few who are solely interested in the commercials. As of 2000, 8 percent of the people watching did so just to see the ads. That's it?

Really, though, all they're doing is satisfying the fans' desire to throw a party. To wit:

• 141.4 million Americans watched Super Bowl XL. That's more than the number of people who voted in the 2004 presidential election. There's your answer as to why the Steelers' Lynn Swann (four Super Bowl wins) likely will be the next governor of Pennsylvania.

Super Bowl Tickets on e-Bay
(Prices as of January 31, 12:00pm)

$22,500.00

2 tickets

$22,500.00

4 tickets

$25,000.00

3 tickets

$28,300.00

6 tickets

$28,999.00

5 tickets + hotel

$29,000.00

4 tickets

$80,000.00

6 tickets

$99,999.99

2 tickets

$139,000.00

16 person suite

$250,000.00

8 person suite

• It's estimated that there will be roughly 7.5 million parties on Sunday, at which will be 43.9 million party-goers. In other words, Monday will be less productive than New Year's Day.

• The Super Bowl is the top at-home party event of the year, ahead of New Year's Eve. The average number of attendees for a Super Bowl party is 17. Who knew a party with your entire basketball team could be considered a dud?

• An estimated 2.5 million Americans will purchase a new television for Super Bowl Sunday. Sales of big screen TVs will multiply five times. Seems as if we've never really grown up -- still inviting over friends to brag about our big, new toy.

• Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest day of food consumption, behind only, of course, Thanksgiving. Coincidence that both days consist of sitting and watching football? Could there be a correlation between American football and American obesity?

• Americans consume 8 million pounds of guacamole on Super Bowl Sunday. That goes with 14,500 tons of chips and 4,000 tons of popcorn. At the game itself, vendors will serve 1,000 cases of peanuts. Were they stacked on top of each other, those cases would be taller than the Empire State Building. America, the beautiful.

• Antacid sales increase by 20 percent the day after Super Sunday. That sounds about right.

• Super Bowl weekend is the slowest weekend for weddings. Which means if you wanted to escape unnoticed to Las Vegas and get hitched, could there be a more perfect weekend?

• The average economic impact of the Super Bowl on a host city is $300-400 million. The average Super Bowl attendee spends four nights in a hotel. Of the attendees, 85 percent come from a different state, 70-90 percent arrive via plane, and the average fan shells out $1,500-$2,000 over the course of the trip. Of these visitors, 60 percent classify their occupation as managerial or professional; 53 percent earn at least $75,000 a year; 38 percent earn more than $100,000; 56 percent are key decision-makers in their company.

No wonder we're throwing so many parties.

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/958329/detail.html

GO, AFC!!

All Access Member

Re: Super Bowl Weekend coming up

Postby harddriver » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Being a huge Bear fan this SB is a big one for me. The Bears are going to surprise alot of people who think that the Colts are just going to run away with it. Bears 28 Colts 17 GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 pm

You put the lowdown on this one Gutterflower: Mercy, that's alot of dough and for one or two days, too(?) I'm like w/all that money being spent the celebration should last til the end of this Century.! :lol: Anyway, although it's not my cup of tea the Superbowl I wish everyone here a real special Superbowl Sunday and may your team whomever they are win...'so that means both will win. My Sister loves Football so I know I have to watch some of it and plus a nice Spaghetti & Meatballs meal/and Chocalate Cake is always made for this special occasion in dedication to our Mom & Dad whom loved Football. Cheers and everyone enjoy your Football Weekend :!:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:43 am

I hate football but, if harddriver is rooting for the Bears I'll have to go with the Colts :P (being from Indiana and all helps to solidify the pick).

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
COLTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 am

GO PEAYTON....I MEAN COLTS!!!!!!!

Moose, you have to back me up on this for our BIG ORANGE boy! \nn/

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm

[quote="PoetsandMadmen"]GO PEAYTON....I MEAN COLTS!!!!!!!

Moose, you have to back me up on this for our BIG ORANGE boy! \nn/[/quote ] PEAYTON ? Who ?

Postby Fretman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:57 pm

I don't think the Bears can win this one. If they can run the ball, then maybe, but if they have to rely on the pass...forget it. Rex will not rule in the big game....but Peyton will...it's his time.

By the way...I like the Bears, I just don't think they can win this year.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:20 am

Harddriver are you still cheering for your beloved Bears? :lol: They had every opportunity in the world to take that game and they still blew it! :lol:

Does anyone else think that Prince kicked butt last night like I do? I didn't expect too much from the little guy, but the dude has a soulful voice and plays alot like Jimi Hendrix. It surprised me actually, considering I've always ignored him!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:05 am

I think a lot of metal heads have always overlooked Prince due to his music being dance music. Ever since I first gave Purple Rain a spin I've known Prince was a jammer. He can def get down with it.

He looked great, didn't he? Even with the "OMG it's raining, give me a doo-rag to put on my head so my hair won't frizz" appearance (actually I thought he looked pretty cool - I don't expect nothing less from the man). And, hasn't aged one bit!! Still looking pretty youthful. But, then again, if I were a wealthy, eccentric soul in the entertainment industry, I could and would look pretty young, too!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 am

I saw Prince 2.5 years ago in concert--one of the BEST shows I've ever been to! Amazing guitarist--he had the whole arena in the palm of his hand. His 45 minute acoustic set was a surprise...and then he jumped back up and played for another hour and 15 minutes. The first show I've ever been to where the ENTIRE place was on their feet dancing nonstop for the whole show-you just couldn't sit there! I think I lost 5 lbs during the whole thing. A lot of fun...and he is one KICKASS guitar player. 8) All together he played for about 3 hours--you get your money's worth for sure. A must see for any music lover.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 pm

COLTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:29 pm

:? Hmmm....Hasn't aged one bit? Plays alot like Hendrix? Had the whole arena in the palm of his hand? 25 years and still on top?

Sounds like ol' Prince went on down to the crossroads to me. :wink:

Disclaimer: Just my opinion and not meant to insult any Ralph Macchio fans.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:38 pm

I tell you what, Prince kicked some ass! He got my attention for sure. If they ever make a Jimi Hendrix movie, then he needs to play the role in my opinion. His guitar tone last night was unbelievable! I've only associated him with Little Red Corvette and 1999, so that's why I've never listened to his music. The song Purple Rain itself is fantastic, but I have no idea what the rest of the album sounds like. Yeah, I agree, he hasn't aged one bit! 8O

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:25 pm

I like Prince, my wife turned me onto him a long time ago.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:45 pm

Prince definitely has chops.....but I wasn't too impressed with his tone during that halftime show.

Just my opinion, you understand. :)

BTW, He's a bit too short IMO to play Jimi Hendrix. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Next

Return to Free for all...