First Guitar Advice

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

First Guitar Advice

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:22 pm

Okay, all you guitar gods out there...I'm seriously thinking of starting guitar lessons. So here's my question: what's a good acoustic to start off with? Or should I just get some cheap guitar to learn on, and then get a better guitar later?

Also, my hands aren't that big, so do you think I should get a child size (stop laughing) to make it easier on myself at first? I remember when I took guitar in high school, I had to really stretch, and barre chords were pretty hard for me to play.

So tell me what you think. 8)

Killer of Giants

Re: First Guitar Advice

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:37 pm

i think you should get a good one(new) for about $100 ... ?
This girl doesn't have big hands either (neither have I ;))

but my best advice would be to buy a cheap one
and then get a better one as you're making progress :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:46 pm

If you're dead set on an acoustic, try Cort, they make some quality instruments for a very decent price. Seagulls are very nice too.

When I bought mine I've tried every acoustics in the store and I've came to the conclusion that expensive doesn't mean quality, especially with acoustic guitars. I've tried Fenders and countless other great brands and, to me, they're not worth the price, Corts, Seagulls are very nice guitars for the price.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:36 pm

1) A 3/4 size acoustic for someone with small hands would be a good choice.

2) Buy the best you can for what you can afford and you'll never regret it.

Just my 2 cents. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:57 pm

I don't know about that Hell_Tanner. There is a big difference between playing a Seagull and then playing a Martin. There are some good low to mid-priced guitars out there, but....

I agree with Dean, save all the money you can and buy the best guitar you can afford.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 am

If u can, get someone u know that plays reasonaby well, to go along with u, that way u will get one that feels nice to play, some cheap ones are abolute crap, yet then again, there are some that actually play quite nice. You get a shit guitar to start with, my discourage u from playing. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:01 am

yeh like no point spending money on a shit guitar only having to pay out later 4 a beta 1!

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 am

crisguitar wrote:yeh like no point spending money on a shit guitar only having to pay out later 4 a beta 1!

Mainly I meant, u can spend stuff all on a guitar for a begginer, and I could still play it and feels nice, then u could pay more, for something that is no better than a fkn door stop. :) Just if she can, get someone that can play, to make sure the guitar is playable. :)

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 am

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:48 am

i'll gladly help a cutie ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:53 am

MetalHead wrote:i'll gladly help a cutie ;)

Hahaha...we have a swedish stud :P 10/10 for effort

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:18 am

mrmetal wrote:I don't know about that Hell_Tanner. There is a big difference between playing a Seagull and then playing a Martin. There are some good low to mid-priced guitars out there, but....

Oh sure, that's not exactly what I wanted to say actually. It's just that when I bought my acoustic, I've tried some $400/$500 range guitars along with $800/$900 range guitars (Fenders, Washburn) and I was pretty dissapointed. When I've tried them all I didn't look at the brand I just listened and to my ears most of the time, some of the $400/$500 guitars sounded much better, and I didn't find a reason to shed the extra $300.
I can't tell about the high end ones.

An other thing I wanted to pinpoint, even if it's somewhat off-topic and has to be taken with a grain of salt, the brand doesn't always guarantee quality and you can find bad apples among acoustic guitars. A guy from a guitar shop once told me he had received a Martin Clapton signature and that thing was so unplayable that he had to send it back. You wouldn't expect that from that kind of guitar but, hey, it can happen, there can be some hazards even if it happens 1/100.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:34 am

Exactly what I was trying to say Hell_Tanner......is bad apples in xpensive guitars and fkn great big fat good apples in cheap guitars, just need someone who can play to go shopping with u if u dont know. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:19 am

Hell_Tanner wrote:the brand doesn't always guarantee quality

Exactly. Just look at Gibson. :!:

Return to Free for all...