John Norum...

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: united kingdom

John Norum...

Postby matty35 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:57 pm

do you guy's rate John Norum as a player?

i really love his style, some of his work outside of Europe is really strong, i can take or leave his singing though!! :lol:


cheers

Matty.. :wink:
Image

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:51 pm

matty35 wrote:do you guy's rate John Norum as a player?

i really love his style, some of his work outside of Europe is really strong, i can take or leave his singing though!! :lol:


cheers

Matty.. :wink:


I love John Norum! He's one of my favorites. His work with Europe is way over looked and underrated due to The Final Countdown stuff. Check out the Live From The Dark DVD that Europe put out a couple of years ago to get a good dose of Mr. Norum. He's awesome!

~Brian~

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: united kingdom

Re: John Norum...

Postby matty35 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:13 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
matty35 wrote:do you guy's rate John Norum as a player?

i really love his style, some of his work outside of Europe is really strong, i can take or leave his singing though!! :lol:


cheers

Matty.. :wink:


I love John Norum! He's one of my favorites. His work with Europe is way over looked and underrated due to The Final Countdown stuff. Check out the Live From The Dark DVD that Europe put out a couple of years ago to get a good dose of Mr. Norum. He's awesome!

~Brian~



yeah ive got that DVD brother, his solo spot is wicked!!!

Face The Truth is my fav Norum album, Total Control coming 2nd!!


cheers

matt.
Image

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: John Norum...

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:22 am

I know John Norum well from his work on Don Dokken's Up From the Ashes 1990 and Dokken's Long Way Home 2002. Unfortunately, on Long Way Home he did hid best George Lynch impersonation when I would have preferred him to do his own thing.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 am

matty35 wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
matty35 wrote:do you guy's rate John Norum as a player?

i really love his style, some of his work outside of Europe is really strong, i can take or leave his singing though!! :lol:


cheers

Matty.. :wink:


I love John Norum! He's one of my favorites. His work with Europe is way over looked and underrated due to The Final Countdown stuff. Check out the Live From The Dark DVD that Europe put out a couple of years ago to get a good dose of Mr. Norum. He's awesome!

~Brian~



yeah ive got that DVD brother, his solo spot is wicked!!!

Face The Truth is my fav Norum album, Total Control coming 2nd!!


cheers

matt.


Absolutley! I could listen to his solo over and over again from that DVD. He actually plays a melody unlike other guitarist that shred for the sake of shredding. I don't mean any disrespect to Doug Aldrich, but Doug's solos are an example of that. To me his solos just sound like a bunch of racket, eventhough I think he's a great guitarist.

~Brian~

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:15 am

MrScary1971 wrote:I know John Norum well from his work on Don Dokken's Up From the Ashes 1990 and Dokken's Long Way Home 2002. Unfortunately, on Long Way Home he did hid best George Lynch impersonation when I would have preferred him to do his own thing.


Long Way Home is the worst example of John's playing for sure. Europe's Live From The Dark DVD is the best place to truly see how talented and intense John is as a player. It's been released here in the states, so check it out.

~Brian~

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: united kingdom

Re: John Norum...

Postby matty35 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
matty35 wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
matty35 wrote:do you guy's rate John Norum as a player?

i really love his style, some of his work outside of Europe is really strong, i can take or leave his singing though!! :lol:


cheers

Matty.. :wink:


I love John Norum! He's one of my favorites. His work with Europe is way over looked and underrated due to The Final Countdown stuff. Check out the Live From The Dark DVD that Europe put out a couple of years ago to get a good dose of Mr. Norum. He's awesome!

~Brian~



yeah ive got that DVD brother, his solo spot is wicked!!!

Face The Truth is my fav Norum album, Total Control coming 2nd!!


cheers

matt.


Absolutley! I could listen to his solo over and over again from that DVD. He actually plays a melody unlike other guitarist that shred for the sake of shredding. I don't mean any disrespect to Doug Aldrich, but Doug's solos are an example of that. To me his solos just sound like a bunch of racket, eventhough I think he's a great guitarist.

~Brian~



i respect what you mean about Aldrich, ive been a fan of his since 1987, i own alot of his instrumental cd's..

i do think Dougs playing from a few years back is stronger, i prefered his tone too back then, now Doug has landed a mojor role in Whitesnake, I feel he's trying to make up for lost time, i mean a few years ago people would have said Doug who?? it sounds like he's out to impress the world by playing his solo spot's at 100 mph, so i kind of agree on what you said, playing fast doesnt mean "Better"..

i love Dougs playing, when he slow's down & play's bluesy raunchy stuff, he smokes, him & Norum would kick out a great album together!!


cheers

Matt.
Image

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: John Norum...

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:15 am

I have to disagree on the Aldrich thing here. His playing is very innovative and melodic. He shreds without sounding like the typical neo-classical shredder which is a feat unto itself. Just listen to the phrasing on Dio's Killing a Dragon CD. Some of those licks he came up with are not the norm for a metal guy.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:44 am

mrmetal wrote:I have to disagree on the Aldrich thing here. His playing is very innovative and melodic. He shreds without sounding like the typical neo-classical shredder which is a feat unto itself. Just listen to the phrasing on Dio's Killing a Dragon CD. Some of those licks he came up with are not the norm for a metal guy.


Let me clarify what I was saying about Aldrich, because I am a fan of this fella. I'm not referring to his solos in songs, but just his solo spots in his live performances. I realize he is the only one on stage and he's entertaining people, but I just can't get into it. As far as his solos go in actual songs, yeah, he's great.

In all fairness though, I haven't heard any of Doug's solo discs, so I might have a change of heart by listening to one of those.

~Brian~

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 am

mrmetal wrote: Just listen to the phrasing on Dio's Killing a Dragon CD.


What do you mean by phrasing? Sorry, but I'm not a guitar player.

~Brian~

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: John Norum...

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Ahhh...gotcha. Not a fan of the guitar solo spot myself. I would rather just hear another song than mindless wanking. I hear that will make you go blind.

Phrasing is how a player puts his own spin and inflections into his playing. So when I say I like Aldrich's solo phrasing, I mean he can make a standard blues and pentatonic scale sound very different than the average guy...but that is what makes a pro player a pro I guess.

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: united kingdom

Re: John Norum...

Postby matty35 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 am

mrmetal wrote:Ahhh...gotcha. Not a fan of the guitar solo spot myself. I would rather just hear another song than mindless wanking. I hear that will make you go blind.

Phrasing is how a player puts his own spin and inflections into his playing. So when I say I like Aldrich's solo phrasing, I mean he can make a standard blues and pentatonic scale sound very different than the average guy...but that is what makes a pro player a pro I guess.



yep, that's pretty much how id put it, well said!


Brian, have a listen to Doug's best of cd, "Alter Ego", all his best instrumental's are on there..


cheers

Matt.
Image

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: John Norum...

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 am

Mr. Metal, I see what your saying. Basically, it's a player putting his own signature sound into something.

Matty, I'll look into Doug's compilation disc. I don't think I realized he had one. Thanks!

~Brian~

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: John Norum...

Postby mrmetal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am

If you can get your hands on the threee volume Bad Moon Rising CDs, those are well worth listening too. Great stuff.

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: united kingdom

Re: John Norum...

Postby matty35 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 pm

mrmetal wrote:If you can get your hands on the threee volume Bad Moon Rising CDs, those are well worth listening too. Great stuff.


yeah good call, or even Hurricane's "Slave To Thrill" cd, Aldrich burn's like a demon on that too!!! :wink:


old Doug's been around the block a few times!!! :D

cheers


Matt..
Image

Next

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest