Did anyone else catch Gretchen Wilson kickin' ass?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Did anyone else catch Gretchen Wilson kickin' ass?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri May 25, 2007 11:08 am

Nope, that's not a typo and P&M hasn't lost his marbles.....completly! :lol: She covered Heart's Baracuda last night on the VH1 Rock Honors, along with the guys from Alice In Chains. Gretchen absolutley rocked it and she rocked it hard! The lady gets the horns from me \nn/ for doing Heart the justice they deserve! Check out the You Tube clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RjA_Z6Lniw

If you watch it, I do believe you'll be impressed!

~Brian~

All Access Member

Re: Did anyone else catch Gretchen Wilson kickin' ass?

Postby Gutterflower » Fri May 25, 2007 2:57 pm

YES...you beat me to it, I was going to post about VH1 Rock Honors. The whole segment with Heart was kickASS, IMO. Alice In Chains AND Gretchen sounded awesome on Barracuda - it was cool when Nancy came out and jammed with them. She's still got it, and so does Ann - her voice hasn't aged at all.

I liked ZZ Top, too...even though I understand now why they don't tour anymore - 38 YEARS together as a band, all original members - so those guys are pushing 60, if they haven't crossed over already. Their voices are shot, unfortunately. I'm glad I saw them during the 80s! But it was still great to see them live on tv. The crowd was waay into it, too. I haven't watched the Ozzy portion yet, but I'm sure Zakk was his usual guitar god self 8)

Postby jefnel1 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Yeah kick ass show last night. The highlight was Genesis - no wait, what am I nuts? The highlight was Alice In Chains with Gretchen!

Ozzy is just too old man. I swear his voice was dubbed on that performance, but they switch the camera angles so much, it's hard to keep up and figure out if he's actually singing it. I hate his new song, so uninspired and corny. I was happy they performed Crazy Train though.

Overall good show. Check it out.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 pm

OK...I'm back from the dead. Gretchen's performance with AIC and Nancy was stellar. I've seen her do some other rock covers live and she is a tremendous talent. As for Ozzy...I hope I can still do what I do at his age. The new CD has some moments on it and I actually dig the single but I agree with many that Zakk needs to take a break to recharge his creative batteries. He hasn't done anything inventive in quite some time. I'd really like to hear him do something different. I felt that when they played the new song that they were all using in-ear monitors and playing to a canned track (maybe just vocals and a click). There were definitely vocals going on when Ozzy was just jumping around. It also had a less than energetic vibe to it. As for ZZ Top...I'm gonna plead the 5th on them. I saw them again (for the umteenth time) a couple of years ago and they rocked. Billy Gibbons is a righteous guitar player and three guys creating all that sound has always impressed me. King's X has the same affect on me. Anyway, I've rambled enough. Gretchen definitely kicked ass!

Jimi

Postby Fretman » Sat May 26, 2007 10:21 am

Yep, Gretchen with AIC was great. The fact that she's hot didn't hurt anything either. Also...can Zakk go a little more easy on the pinched harmonics. Classics like Cray Train really don't need all of that crap. I still love Zakk's aggressive playing, but every other note doesn't have to be a pinched harmonic.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Fretman wrote: I still love Zakk's aggressive playing, but every other note doesn't have to be a pinched harmonic.

Is THAT what that's called?! :P It's overkill, he does it so much.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm not pleading the fifth (not drinking it either, as you'll think after reading these comments!).
Nickelback kicked ZZ's ass IMHO. Who knew Nickelback could pull that off? Don't get me wrong, I like Nickelback but, all their tunes have the same sound and very little jamming going on. Chad and gang opened my eyes a little wider.
Gretchen can belt out a tune and did a great job. AIC kicked ass, too. Would have loved to hear Ann and Nancy do a tune with them.
Genesis can kiss my azz.
Ditto for Ozzy, Zakk and company.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby FireandRain » Thu May 31, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm going to admit it - I'm a country girl here. I do like Gretchen - girl can SANG! Personally, I really think she needs to work on her stage presence though. I enjoyed litening to her.....but I was watching the guys in Alice & Nancy Wilson for excitement!
I'm not suffering from my addiction to Jake E. Lee - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 pm

FireandRain wrote:I'm going to admit it - I'm a country girl here. I do like Gretchen - girl can SANG! Personally, I really think she needs to work on her stage presence though. I enjoyed litening to her.....but I was watching the guys in Alice & Nancy Wilson for excitement!

I thought the same thing - she just kind of stood there, didn't really move around much. She sounded pretty good - I could hear her voice strain just a little bit - but she looked like she was having a blast.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu May 31, 2007 7:12 pm

She probably didn't know how to act since she's usually peforming with the country gang and audience. Maybe she felt she was a little out of her element.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby FireandRain » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:25 am

Doobie wrote:She probably didn't know how to act since she's usually peforming with the country gang and audience. Maybe she felt she was a little out of her element.

I wish that's what it is...however I have seen her in her "normal" concert doing the same. When not playing her guitar, she struts up & down with her hand on her hip & not much movement other than that. I mean, dang! Gretchen, you've got the attitude, you've got the vocals, you've got the body - MOVE! Even my husband was saying the same thing & he was getting bored!

Also, she does preform this song in her concerts, along with "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benetar.
I'm not suffering from my addiction to Jake E. Lee - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

All Access Member

Postby snowden7772 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 pm

ye i was embarrassed for poor ozzys lipsynced set,but gretchen wilson did very good for a country singer.i always thought the singer from heart had a great voice and was impressed with how well gretchen handled it.must be in the wilson name.lol

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:05 am

I had to bump this thread up after seeing ol' Gretch again the other night. She was on VH1 in the fundraiser concert for the Great White club concert fire that took place 5 years ago. Can you believe it's already been 5 years? Gretch kicked ass again with another Heart tune - 'Straight On'. Geeeeeeezusssss! Twisted Sister, Tesla were some of the others that showed up. Sorry (and I am a huge Tesla fan) but, Jeff Keith's voice sounded like a screaming, drowning munchkin. So bad that I was embarrassed for him. :(

Oh, and another thing about Gretch ... if she had blonde hair she would look straight up like Heather on Rock of Love II.

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:56 am

I'm a huge Tesla fan... it might be time for Frank Hannon or Brian Wheat to take over vocals and let Jeff drivev the bus.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Doobie wrote:I had to bump this thread up after seeing ol' Gretch again the other night. She was on VH1 in the fundraiser concert for the Great White club concert fire that took place 5 years ago. Can you believe it's already been 5 years? Gretch kicked ass again with another Heart tune - 'Straight On'. Geeeeeeezusssss! Twisted Sister, Tesla were some of the others that showed up. Sorry (and I am a huge Tesla fan) but, Jeff Keith's voice sounded like a screaming, drowning munchkin. So bad that I was embarrassed for him. :(

Oh, and another thing about Gretch ... if she had blonde hair she would look straight up like Heather on Rock of Love II.

I didn't see this, but I'll have to check it out. The girl can sing for sure when she wants to!

~Brian~

Return to Free for all...