Best Jake story ever!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Best Jake story ever!

Postby ignosio » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 am

So I was about 18 years old when I first went to see Badlands on the Voodoo Highway tour at this little crummy club called Derengers in Brockton (south of Boston, MA.) They played a fantastic set to an enthusiastic and packed crowd. As the last song ended, I snuck behind a speaker stack on the corner of the stage and hugged Jake. I was promptly kicked out of the club.

So I was hanging out in the parking lot when eventually Jake came out. He talked to a bunch of us and signed some autograph's. Jake took time to talk a little guitar tech with me, and was real supportive of me as a guitar player. Ray Gillen, Jeff, and Greg came out and hung out for a bit as well and then got into a caravan of rental cars. Jake was heading over to the car to get out of there and saw me, changed direction, walked over to me and gave me one of his picks. I was floored.

One funny thing. Jeff was driving and actually crashed into a parked car when he was backing out. But anyway, that experience really had a big effect on me.

Badlands is probably the most underrated band of that era, a victim of bad timing and circumstance. It still makes me said that Ray passed on, even in light of the rift between Jake.

Anyone else have stories like this?

Killer of Giants

Re: Best Jake story ever!

Postby MetalHead » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 am

ignosio wrote:Anyone else have stories like this?

I wish I had :)

But judging by your story I bet you had a great time :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby Fretman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:45 pm

Cool story...I saw Jake play live multiple times but never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Hey, doesn't Doobie have a pick too????

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:36 pm

That's a dynamite story to have meant & even "crushed-hugged" your Guitar Hero of the BADLANDS Jake E. Lee and members thereof: meeting Greg Chaisson, Jeff Martin and Ray Gillen (may he rest in peace) as well. And how very cool of them to approach you after their Concert set to acknowledge you, that's pretty heavy. So do you still have the Guitar pick JAKE gave you and do you practice on your Guitar with it, Ignosio? Peace. 8)

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:59 pm

I was lucky to see Badlands perform, even if it was only once...I wish I had tried to hang out by the tour buses or something to see if I could meet the band. :cry:

Cool story, ignosio.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:23 am

After a local Wicked Alliance show, my sis and I rushed out the front door after the encore so I could hopefully get a pic snapped w/Jake. We ran down the alley where the bus was parked when all of a sudden the back door of the building flew open and Jake headed to the bus. Hopefully not going to let him get away, I yelled "Jaaaaake!!!" He turned and looked and then stopped so I could catch up to him. I asked if he would mind cheesin' it up for a picture with me. Smiling, he said "sure". He then guided us to the back door, got security to open it and told us to go back in because he would be coming back in after a clothes change." He came back in to sign autographs and mug for more pics (two rolls - hahaha). No, this night isn't forever emblazoned in my mind!!!!! Mercy!
Even though he probably thought I was nuts, I'm glad I got the first pic - he still had his stage clothes on in that one!! :lol:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby guitarninja » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 am

3-11-94 Tampa Fl
As Jake and the W/A boys were doing the born to be wild encore, I was in front of the stage(ironically steppenwolf was at a club around the corner that same night). Jake tossed a pick my way, still have it, never use it.
My buddy and I waited by the bus for jake. I had a poster ad from the show for him to sign. It was taking awhile for things to happen, so one of the techs took it on the bus for jake to sign. But I had to meet him in person. Jake came out about 30 min. later and we walked and talked back by the club. I probably babled more than talked. He also signed my June '89 guitar mag with his cover shot. He was very humble and did not rush us off. For that I will always be a loyal fan and listener, because it would have been very easy for him to be arrogant or a jerk-but that is not his nature, and for that I salute him. My only regret is not bringing my white charvel for him to sign. I was going to bring it, but my wife talked me out of it, kinda bad part of town. That just means I'll have to bring it the next tour around-HEAR THAT JAKE-thanks for the music and memories!!!!!!!

Return to All things Jake E Lee...