Jake's Hardtail Bridge on the Charvelized Fender

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Jake's Hardtail Bridge on the Charvelized Fender

Postby Charvelised » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:34 am

On My Jake Charvel Prototype..(See a Previous post!)..Bengal pointed out that my bridge was incorrect being chrome.....I have Noticed on the Gallery photos that Jake has on his "Charvelized Fender" a black base plate with chrome saddles..
Could anyone confirm this,(Probably Metalhead! :wink:) as there is one on ebay at present (a Hardtail Bridge!)..a USA Fender no less...obviously it would make a Great addittion to my Fav Guitar

Re: Jake's Hardtail Bridge on the Charvelized Fender

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 am

I've researched Jake's bridge on 'Whitie' extensively. It is a black base with chrome saddles which are from an original Charvel hardtail. These are very hard to come by and are very expensive ($150+) if you can find them. Chrome ones are the rarest.

After trying several of them myself, I'd suggest you stay away from fender hardtails due to tuning stability. Unless you can find one of the old ones that has grooves cut in the base plate for the saddle screws (again, hard to find).

I would highly recommend you consider a Hipshot hardtail bridge with the .175 base plate. They are high quality and stay in tune even if you bend high E to low E. They have a great tone too. You may need to modify your string-through holes to accomodate it, but it is well worth the effort.

You can find the Hipshot at bestguitarparts.com.

Jeff
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:19 am

Thanks Jeff!

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 am

Why .175 base plate vs .125?

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:45 am

I've owned both, and I like the tone better with a thicker base plate. It seems to provide just a little more sustain. Also, a thicker plate will allow higher action to be acheived through the saddle screws.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:03 am

Jefnel1 said,

"Also, a thicker plate will allow higher action to be acheived through the saddle screws."

The added tone and sustain are great reasons for the thicker plate. But as far as the action goes, what if the guitar will allow for the action to go lower if the plate had been thinner? Or is .050" not going to make that much of a difference when lower the action?

Thanks for your responses jefnel1. I have already decided to use a hipshot, but have been struggling with the base thickness.

Postby jefnel1 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:08 am

I guess it depends on the guitar and the action you're trying to achieve. For example, Warmoth loads up the neck pocket with paint which raises the fretboard out of range of most hardtail saddle screws. Unless you want to sand down the paint and return it to normal, you have to compensate the string height. On my USA Customs guitar, the neck pocket was fine, but the neck itself was pretty thick and with the compound radius, I would have had to almost top out the saddle screws. I like my action pretty high because I bend like crazy, so I needed the extra .050 for the best intonation.

In short, I've found that bottoming out the saddle height screws is better than topping them out. That's why I prefer and always recommend the thicker baseplate.

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:30 am

Cool... Thanks!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:36 pm

jefnel1 wrote:They are high quality and stay in tune even if you bend high E to low E. Jeff

high E to low E :?:
can you really do that ? I remember as a beginner I used to break a lot of strings. Probably because I was pounding on my instrument a little too much and also because I was playing extra light strings. Now I keep my strings a long time, even when they start to rust. My fingers started to get a little stronger and I switched for 10-52 skinny top heavy bottom strings but still, I will never understand how my guitar teacher could bend the strings of his folk acoustic guitar so tight. I don't know if he was doing the high E to low E thing but it was really impressive to me, especially with the metal acoustic dobro guitar strings he had.

Postby tanishigem » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:42 am

You can get this guitar bridge from ALLPARTS JAPAN website.
http://www.allpartsjapan.com/products/b ... ridge.html

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:37 am

Bending from E to E just an expression. I was just making the point that the Hipshot bridge provides great intonation.

That Allparts bridge looks pretty cool, but I wonder if it stays in tune well. It seems to have the saddle screw grooves in the baseplate, but I tried an all chrome Allparts bridge that was similar and just one bend would throw it out of tune.

The best part of the old Charvel bridges is that they had very thick baseplates and very deep channels for the saddle screws. The channels were the same shape as the screws, so they seated very well in them.

The Hipshot bridge corrects the issue of the saddles traveling with walls on each side holding them tightly in place.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:53 am

I've Been advised by the Chap who sets up my Guitar and several of my friends guitars, to leave the Bridge as it is..as the there are no issues other than cosmetic!...
Seeing that bridge above does make me want to change..but as Steve..(the Luthier) said leave it alone...after all if it is what it purports to be..I'll been ruining potential investment

The Link show the Picture of the Bridge but no price..i'd be interested to know!

Postby tanishigem » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:20 am

Dear Mr.Charvelised
I'm sorry.
JPY12600+shipping cost.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:42 am

Judging by the time-frame Jake's "whitey" was made (early 80's). I would take a wild guess and say the original bridge was a Mighty Mite. I think that guitar (like early Van Halen and Lynch guitars) tended to be mix and match, doesn't Jake's have some original Fender parts? By the way, Carvin makes a nice affordable hardtail bridge.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:12 pm

tenfingersofdoom wrote:doesn't Jake's have some original Fender parts?

Jakes "whitey" is an original Fender Stratocaster, or atleast it
was before it got repainted and fitted with the Charvel bridge,
the pickguard and tuning pegs ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...