dont blame me...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: dont blame me...

Postby MetalHead » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:11 pm

RedBarchetta wrote:G. Kynch was actually hired by Ozz and played with him on the european leg of the duiary od a madman tour (Bernie Torme had nervous breakdowns and panic attacks).. so Lynch went and in 3 weeks they parted ways NOT AMICABILY.
G. Lynch wanted to make his own solos and make his mark and OZZ wanted a hired gun who could imitate the songs...

Then how come none of this is mentioned by Lynch?
How come he auditioned at the same time as Jake
if he already parted ways with Ozzy ?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby RedBarchetta » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:55 am

To check the exact info id have to go through my very OLD circus magazines circa 1983-1984, but from what I remember...
Dana Strum recomended Lynch to OZZY when he began having trouble with Bernie Torme, he had to do a small European Tour and had to have a decent axeman with him, so he cancelled auditions of axemen and made the 12 to 15 dates with Lynch. Lynch was on the verge of getting a contract with Electra at the time with Dokken since the GERMAN issued "breaking the chains" had a lot of sales in America due to its import (I for one have one of those german Dokken albums!), so Lynch returned to USA to press on the record deal and could not care less about OZZY...

Then Came Brad Gillis but he too had a record deal and had a contract for playing live and doing and album, but OZZY did not have anything in its head and he scaped the contractcual obligation with JET records making the speak of the devil "live" album, but then Gillis left to record Dawn Patrol with Night Ranger.
Ozzy began to audition axemen... (remember Ozzy at this time has cut all his hair....and all that crap)
Then OZZY without an axeman was desperate and Dana Strum again recomended JAke to OZZY, in fact Jake did not know about and he had to go out and buy some tapes of OZZY for the next day audition, Jake came into the studio and mixed togetter I dont know with crazy train, Dana pushed on...en the rest is history...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:23 am

RedBarchetta wrote:To check the exact info id have to go through my very OLD circus magazines circa 1983-1984, but from what I remember...
Dana Strum recomended Lynch to OZZY when he began having trouble with Bernie Torme, he had to do a small European Tour and had to have a decent axeman with him, so he cancelled auditions of axemen and made the 12 to 15 dates with Lynch. Lynch was on the verge of getting a contract with Electra at the time with Dokken since the GERMAN issued "breaking the chains" had a lot of sales in America due to its import (I for one have one of those german Dokken albums!), so Lynch returned to USA to press on the record deal and could not care less about OZZY...

Then Came Brad Gillis but he too had a record deal and had a contract for playing live and doing and album, but OZZY did not have anything in its head and he scaped the contractcual obligation with JET records making the speak of the devil "live" album, but then Gillis left to record Dawn Patrol with Night Ranger.
Ozzy began to audition axemen... (remember Ozzy at this time has cut all his hair....and all that crap)
Then OZZY without an axeman was desperate and Dana Strum again recomended JAke to OZZY, in fact Jake did not know about and he had to go out and buy some tapes of OZZY for the next day audition, Jake came into the studio and mixed togetter I dont know with crazy train, Dana pushed on...en the rest is history...

Once again ... George Lynch did not do any live dates with Ozzy.
here's from Bernie Tormé official page:

Brad Gillis meanwhile had been travelling in one of the crewbuses, having been recommended, as I think he told me, by someone in the record co in LA. No one appeared to want to give him an audition: I saw him with a guitar one day messing around and thought, this guy can do it, he's absolutely great! He also knew the material, having been a fan of Randy's. I spoke to Ozzy and Sharon (I think) and Don Airey about him, Don (the principal inquisitioner: you had to get past Don to get a proper audition!) was not at all keen to audition him. At the time I think he preferred me to stay. I talked him into giving Brad a try, he auditioned him, loved his playing, and we were all happy. I was outta there, and they got a great guitar player.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby RedBarchetta » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 am

We could be arguing all day about this, and since thsi happened a good 25 years ago, info would be diffrent depending on who you ask...example:

go to wikipedia and find Lynch and it says:

Lynch is well known for his famous legato technique and common use of the scale he calls the 'Gothic Octave'. Twice Lynch auditioned for the position of Ozzy Osbourne's lead guitarist, once in 1979 – losing to Randy Rhoads – and another time in 1982 to replace Brad Gillis. According to Lynch, he was hired for three days before Ozzy changed his mind and decided to go with Jake E. Lee. Lee, however claims that Lynch "got the gig, but only went on the road for two weeks to watch the show, and never actually played with Ozzy."

see my point?

now from lynch Himself:

GL: I had an offer to join Ozzy three different times and I never did make it. There was the time when Brad Gillis was leaving and I flew to Scotland and did some rehearsals with them in Texas and played with them quite a bit. Then, at the last minute, they pulled Jake [E. Lee] in instead. That was kind of heartbreaking. There’s been a few instances. I remember when Phil Mogg asked me to join a band with him and some other guys. But I was so dedicated to the people I was working with at the time that I wanted to bring the rest of the guys with me but Phil didn’t want that. I was playing with a singer named Robert Fleishman––an amazing vocalist who was in Journey for a short time. He wrote all those amazing songs like “Wheel In The Sky” and everything in that period. He would have been like a Paul Rodgers or something. He was just amazing when he was young. We really wanted him in the Boyz. Ironically, Steve Perry auditioned for us, too but we didn’t like him because he sounded like a girl. We wanted Robert. Robert ended up playing with us for a little while, then joining Journey. Then he got the boot because he’s an egomaniac and got Steve Perry. They got both of our leftovers. But the funny thing is that Robert wound up calling me back, wanting to for this kind of supergroup with one of the guys from Ted Nugent’s band and some other guy. I couldn’t do it. I wanted to bring Mick Brown and the bass player ... whoever that was at the time. I was so dedicated to him that I can’t remember his name! [Laughs.]

see he doesnt even remember properly BUT I remember I have a Picture of Ozzy on stage with Lynch (dont know if its a promo pic or a live picture) but anyways teh THEME is that OZZy would not know a SUPER guitar player from a can of tuna...

Postby Fretman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:11 pm

I have no knowledge of Lynch ever playing any official live gigs as Ozzy's guitar player.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Fretman wrote:I have no knowledge of Lynch ever playing any official live gigs as Ozzy's guitar player.

that's because he didn't 8)

he may have rehearsed with Ozzy a few times.

but I know he auditioned at the same time as Jake
so when RedBarchetta says that Lynch stepped
in between Tormé and Gillis .. I just find it hard to believe

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Stratmaster90 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:45 am

Interesting Report from Lynchs camp, Also seems to be Inconsistant in his writing. Could you imagine Gillis as the Guitarist for ozzy on a long term??? Imagine Ozzy singing "Sister Christian" HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Strat

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:18 pm

Yeah, and can you imagine George Lynch playing Don't Tell Me You Love Me or You Can Still Rock In America?
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...