appraisal on dinosaurrockguitar.com

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

appraisal on dinosaurrockguitar.com

Postby hashima » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:53 am

perhaps you all know that comment on Jake in HERE but I thought there are some lines existing there being worth to be discussed.

It says i.e.: "(...)Yet to my ears, Jake's lead playing isn't as sexy as one might expect (or like) it to be — given his blues background and his sexy stage persona. There are a couple of exceptions such as Bark at the Moon, but in general, Jake's solos tend to be flashy and interesting, rather than tasty or sexy. And because Jake isn't an overly melodic player — he doesn't really create or explore melodic themes — his solos aren't as memorable as Rhoads' or even Zakk Wylde's."

Jake ain't melodic enough? His soli ain't memorable? No way... maybe the memory-thing depends on whether you played'em on guitar or not but I think Jake's work's easier to remember than Zakk's or Randy's... even the less often played "Never", "Thank God Fo The Bomb" or Spiders" come to my mind pretty quickly.

Same goes for Jake's vibrato: "Despite this, Jake's vibrato isn't particularly distinctive or noteworthy. It's always pretty quick. Narrow to medium width most of the time — seldom wide"

Not noteworthy? aw man... on the other hand they praise DeMartini's... ... ... lololol

Influences: "Not-so-obvious: Jake lists his influences as Tommy Bolin (his highschool band was called Teaser), Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Edward Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, and Jeff Beck."

...that's kinda true, Jake mentioned Eddie alot back in the 80s interviews but I can't find him in Jake's style... other opinions?

"Jake is one of the guys who brought all those Japanese bandannas and crap to metal. And Jake's onetime roommate, Warren DeMartini, must have raided his closet!"

LOL :D

Sorry if that's a repost

Re: appraisal on dinosaurrockguitar.com

Postby jefnel1 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 am

Yeah I've read that writeup on Jake and disagree with the writer's opinions. If you read some of the comments on other guitarists, you can tell who they favor. George Lynch is one of them. The gave him a stellar review on his rhythm technique, which I totally disagree with. I think Jake can play circles around George rhythm-wise. George is a great lead player, but his basic riffs are always predictable. Jake is the one guitarist that drastically changes things from song to song.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Did you notice that the same website gives a glowing review of everything John Sykes ever did ? I think we can safely assume that dinasaur rock guitar is a bit slanted in the opinion department ! How can anyone say the solo in "So Tired" ISN'T melodic ?!?! And that's just the first one that came to mind.

Postby skezza » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 am

the solo in so tired is one of my favourites! the fact is, all sites will write a different review of each guitarist

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:22 am

skezza wrote:the solo in so tired is one of my favourites! the fact is, all sites will write a different review of each guitarist

your right, but that dinosaur's boy's review was pretty detailed though... if you compare it to other sites so I thought it's worth a lil discussion... it's pretty sad when they claim Jake's vibrato bein not noteworthy and distinctive... fo me he's the ultimate lord'o'vibrato... it's kinda dramatic, fast and agressive (in a postive way), always recognizable and never gets boring... simply perfect *luv*

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:14 am

hashima wrote: fo me he's the ultimate lord'o'vibrato.

you know what?

Yngwie has a perfect vibrato ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:30 pm

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote: fo me he's the ultimate lord'o'vibrato.

you know what?

Yngwie has a perfect vibrato ;)

:roll: let the duel begin...

...everyone got his or her hero so I said "for me", that's my personal feeling bout that... Yngwie is a good man either... regarding vibratos o'course... the whole review on dinosaur is subjective and I just wanted your opionion to those lines...

thanks for your contrib MetalHead, feel free to open a special vibrato-thread for battle 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:34 pm

hashima wrote:thanks for your contrib MetalHead, feel free to open a special vibrato-thread for battle 8)

i just commented on his perfect pitch since
you've already brought vibrato to the table.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:38 pm

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:thanks for your contrib MetalHead, feel free to open a special vibrato-thread for battle 8)

i just commented on his perfect pitch since
you've already brought vibrato to the table.

hmmmm :wink: If you'd say Malmsteen is the better songwriter I'd agree

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Appraisal (?) it sounds more to me like a put :? down and I'm totally surprise it's from one of the most "esteem" music Website dinosaurrockguitar.com saying such untruths on Jake E. Lee music grooves skills...-Which infact are quite rememorable, emotional & at times can be quite complex & melodic! Guitarist Rebel Rocker Jake E. Lee has always shown great passion in every thing his done in Ozzy Osbourne band (Bark At the Moon, Killer of Giants-beautiful mighty song, Never Know Why, The Ultimate Sin-bad ass throw down Tomahawk masterpiece as is Bark At the Moon etc.,. his own band Badlands (which adds that Funky Blues complex side of him definately kicks in & shines! Soul Stealer, High Wire, The Last Time etc.,. are awesome Badlands Classic songs), Wicked Alliance (his wicked side/The Rust is emotional intense all the way!), Jake E. Lee Solo Projects (songs like the Rapture (beautiful acoustics), Demon A Go-Go, I Magnify (my favorite! It grooves mighty heavy!), Exithouse etc.,. are quite grooving masterpieces that have Super breathtaking Rockin' Soul to them. 8) Rebel Guitarist/Writer Jake E. Lee is a very passionate/and elusive musician. Peace and much respects!

Hashima, you have a McDonald's avatar that's funny and I also noticed a Wonder bread avatar as well that made me giggle (you guys can be awfully funny at times & very "serious" all the time regarding your postes) : Pretty intense message post above "thanks" for bringing it to our ultmost attentions. Peace!

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:18 pm

Shadow wrote:Appraisal (?) it sounds more to me like a put :? down and I'm totally surprise it's from one of the most "esteem" music Website dinosaurrockguitar.com saying such untruths on Jake E. Lee music grooves skills...-Which infact are quite rememorable, emotional & at times can be quite complex & melodic! Guitarist Rebel Rocker Jake E. Lee has always shown great passion in every thing his done in Ozzy Osbourne band (Bark At the Moon, Killer of Giants-beautiful mighty song, Never Know Why, The Ultimate Sin-bad ass throw down Tomahawk masterpiece as is Bark At the Moon etc.,. his own band Badlands (which adds that Funky Blues complex side of him definately kicks in & shines! Soul Stealer, High Wire, The Last Time etc.,. are awesome Badlands Classic songs), Wicked Alliance (his wicked side/The Rust is emotional intense all the way!), Jake E. Lee Solo Projects (songs like the Rapture (beautiful acoustics), Demon A Go-Go, I Magnify (my favorite! It grooves mighty heavy!), Exithouse etc.,. are quite grooving masterpieces that have Super breathtaking Rockin' Soul to them. 8) Rebel Guitarist/Writer Jake E. Lee is a very passionate/and elusive musician. Peace and much respects!

Hashima, you have a McDonald's avatar that's funny and I also noticed a Wonder bread avatar as well that made me giggle (you guys can be awfully funny at times & very "serious" all the time regarding your postes) : Pretty intense message post above "thanks" for bringing it to our ultmost attentions. Peace!

thanks fo your contrib, Shadow
...well, you could understand it in an ironic way, however the truth is that I looked up the word "einschätzung/bewertung" in a german-english dictionary and "appraisal" was the first one which seemed to fit at the time... :D

...may someone give a comment on the Jake-Eddie-thing? I haven't heard enough of the Badlands material to be able to estimate that Eddie ain't there somewhere in Jake's style... in other cases it's obvious: Takasaki, Lynch, DeMartini etc. ?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Vibrato ? I'm gonna invoke my "Blues Nerd 5th Ammendment Right To Vote For B.B. King" . That said, Jake has a fine vibrato. Definately among the best of the West Coast 80's guys. Did you ever notice that the guys like Jake who still sound good over time have good vibratos ? Dudes that showed up post-'84 tended to be a bit stiff in that department. I guess it pays to have classic pre-Van Halen influences to round out the technique. I consider Jake a real bridge between the 70's American Guitar Sound (Derringer, Walsh, Bolin, etc.) and the Post-Van Halen Late 80's (Gilbert, various shredders ). He mixed it up very nicely....and I guess that's why we like the guy !! I always considered his style "Tommy Bolin On Steriods".

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 am

hashima wrote:I think Jake's work's easier to remember than Zakk's or Randy's... even the less often played "Never", "Thank God Fo The Bomb" or Spiders" come to my mind pretty quickly.

Have you heard a song called Crazy Train ? ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:44 am

Jake;s Bark at the Moon solo os one of the best ever. As far as him not being melodic? The Badlands stuff is killer and especially on Streets Cry Freedom with the slide parts. That reviewer was a jackass!
By the way as far as Lynch's riffs he does use a lot of tritones but Jake writing better riffs? Come on! Kiss of Death,In My Dreams,Wicked Sensation,Tooth and Nail,Mr Scary etc etc etc

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:21 am

Maybe you guys should read Jake's interviews on this site. Particularly the one from Sept 2005. At the end Jake says he doesn't believe in whammy bars and or vibrato because it takes away from his ideal tone. I agree with him, besides I think he is one of the greatest guitarists ever with his own style!! Jake make a new album bro, Retraced was kick ass.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...