Pickups again...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Pickups again...

Postby torbjorn » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:44 am

thanx! i love you all!

but the other two guitars he used on the batm tour, were they also equipped with the allan holdsworth humbucker?

Re: Pickups again...

Postby jefnel1 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:09 am

No Duncan JB's.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:45 am

and FYI, the Holdsworth prototype Jake used is/was
esentially a JB with double screwcoils :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:56 pm

I remember reading an interview with Jake and Warren from '87 where they both praised the Holdsworth and bemoned its discontinuation. Both Jake and Warren went on to use the JB as their main pickups. The JB is popular because it is a well balanced: Punchy, great sustain, great, round high-end, and deep, yet clear low-end. Because it cleans up nice when you roll down the volume, it sounds great with overdrive. Lynch used it too, along with the Pearly Gates, until he discovered the Duncan Distortion, which blows the DiMarzio Super Distortion to smithereens. Duncan has manufactured the Screamin' Demon for almost 20 years now, which they built to Lynch's specifications. I find it is too hi-endy, like the Custom. My favorite Duncans are the Distortion, Alinco II Pro, JB and Pearly Gates. My favorite active pickups are EMG SA single coils, in the Gilmour configuration, and 85 humbuckers, because the Alincos sound better than ceramics which they use for the '81, which is too dark in my opinion.
I say experiment until you get the right sound. Don't go for a Jake sound. Jake found his sound by trial and error. He has more of a style than a sound, and that's really saying something.
Personally, I prefere a Lynch kind of tone, but one can never capture the exact tone they hear on a record, nore should they try to; it's futile.
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Seymour Duncan has said his favorite set up is JB in the bridge and a Jazz or 59 in the neck. He built the things! And a friend of mine who's an awsome blues player uses that config in his Ibanez and it sounds superb.
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 am

The Screamin Demon is a dirty little bastar@ even on clean channels. I love the old JB's though. Fedaykin, your absolutely right about capturing album tone. George has been trying to recreate the Under Lock and Key tone since 1985. Even the pros have a hell of a time. Sometimes its like capturing lightning in a bottle other times its a fart in an elevator.

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:02 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:The Screamin Demon is a dirty little bastar@ even on clean channels. I love the old JB's though. Fedaykin, your absolutely right about capturing album tone. George has been trying to recreate the Under Lock and Key tone since 1985. Even the pros have a hell of a time. Sometimes its like capturing lightning in a bottle other times its a fart in an elevator.
My favorite off all Lynch's sounds is undoubtedly that which he achieved on Back for Attack, which is my favorite Dokken album. Listen to the opening of "Night by Night." Lock and Key has some great tones too.

The Screamin' Demon is too much like the Full Shred, of God forbid, the Invader (yech!). George is one of the few players who ever really knew what to do with distortion. It is a tool for achieving certain dynamics. Jake achieved some interesting tones as well, but in his Ozzy years, it was only happenstance, as he had no control over what the producers wanted. For instance, he wanted to use different tones, different amp settings, on TUS; but I read, in an interviewmthat the producer only wanted one sound, damn the rest. Producers can be like that, lazy, singleminded. It couldn't have hurt TUS if it were possesed of greater sonic verity. But the solos did sound nice, like in Never, and the outro to Fool Like You, which to me, is like a requiem on Jake's Ozzy years, since he must have known they would not go on forever. To paraphrase the title of great English novelists Robert Graves' WW I memoir, it was a kind of "Goodbye to all That."

I always respected Jake for going against the grain, simply by doing his own thing. We remember Jake's work, we still listen to it; but who remembers the other players of that era? Few stood out. Jake, George, Warren---these are but a few. Style is the hardest thing to come by. They all have awsome technique, but it is the style that makes them shine. I remember those years, the 80s, as I myself was a young shredder, and it was not till I really listened to Lee and Lynch and DiMartini that I began to develop a style, and while I never achieved the greatness of those three, I can at least say I arrived at a kind of style all my own, and that was my proudest achievment as a musician. I remember all the GIT Gilbert-Yngwie clones. They all sounded exactly the same. Note for note. That phenomenon was but one of the many deathknells for metal.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Hey Fed, absolutely right. For every Yngwie there was a Chris Impelliteri. Gilbert,Vinnie Moore etc.. That genre was boring after a while. Blinding speed appregios are impressive but great guitarists serve the song. Having chops and speed are important but so is rhythm playing and melodic sensibility. Jake,Warren, and George are all excellent examples of tone,rhythm, and melodic solos that had a huge impact on the music they made in their respective bands. Jake gave Warren some lessons but they carved their own niche.Georgeand Randy would share ideas from time to time but also have completely different styles. Zakk Wylde found few modern players stuck to the Pentatonic scale which is how developed his style. Most of the modern players favor Classical,scales and modes.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:43 am

I'm actually considering EMGs for my Dean :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Im Duncans all the way EMG's are over rated...even though many use them . and to all those who still want that alanholds worth tone from the prototype , just goto carvin they make them now..
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:11 pm

stratattack wrote:Im Duncans all the way EMG's are over rated...even though many use them .

i'm not set though ... I'm considering DiMarzio X2Ns as well :twisted:

stratattack wrote:and to all those who still want that alanholds worth tone from the prototype , just goto carvin they make them now..

i beg to differ...
as the original Holdsworth prototype was a JB(with double screwcoils),
Allan went to Carvin for a more mellower pickup as they're making his guitars.
So a Carvin Holdsworth wouldn't be the way to go if you're looking
for that Jake sound.
Just contact the SD Custom Shop :)

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

MetalHead wrote:
stratattack wrote:Im Duncans all the way EMG's are over rated...even though many use them .

i'm not set though ... I'm considering DiMarzio X2Ns as well :twisted:

stratattack wrote:and to all those who still want that alanholds worth tone from the prototype , just goto carvin they make them now..

i beg to differ...
as the original Holdsworth prototype was a JB(with double screwcoils),
Allan went to Carvin for a more mellower pickup as they're making his guitars.
So a Carvin Holdsworth wouldn't be the way to go if you're looking
for that Jake sound.
Just contact the SD Custom Shop :)

I know This Metalhead Im A luthier remember!
what meant was if you wanted the Holdsworth sound . oh by the way the Holdsworth prtottype JB and The JB of today sound very little alike at all.. I know what the Holds worth duncans were,, As for the Duncan Custom shop I deal with them once a month Bro ...

Maybe I should have explained in more detail .. :evil: for that Im sorry. as for the X2n those are great for anything Metal..
I use the Duncan 59 for a neck and an old invader or JB for the bridge on my pauls but for my strats I use the STK2 for the Bridge and STK1 for the Neck and a quater Punder for the Middle.
some of my guitars have Bill Lawrenc L500 in the bridge but those are getting really hard to find and the dime bucker SUX!!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:31 pm

stratattack wrote:oh by the way the Holdsworth prtottype JB and The JB of today sound very little alike at all.. I know what the Holds worth duncans were,, As for the Duncan Custom shop I deal with them once a month Bro ...

thing is, the final AH-1 isn't the same as the AH proto,
so ofcourse the AH-1 doesn't sound like the JB ;)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...