Whitey Alder or Swamp Ash?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Whitey Alder or Swamp Ash?

Postby Alkeys » Wed May 09, 2007 12:11 am

Any idea whether Jake's Whitey was Alder or Swamp Ash?

I heard someplace it might be Swamp Ash but I thought Fender was only using Alder in the 70s.

I'm in the process of building a new guitar. Should I go with Alder, Swamp Ash or Mahogany?

Thanks

All Access Member

Re: Whitey Alder or Swamp Ash?

Postby Richard » Wed May 09, 2007 12:42 am

Yes swamp ash .

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Wed May 09, 2007 1:03 am

Thanks. Other than the SG, did Jake E. Lee ever use a Mahogany guitar?

If you were to build a strat with humbuckers, should you use Swamp Ash, Alder or Mahogany?

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Wed May 09, 2007 1:21 am

ESP LES PAUL COPY I THINK WHEN HE WAS IN THE STUDIO WHEN HE WAS IN BADLANDS.
ALDER IS WARMER SOUND & Swamp ash is a little brighter Sound etc.
:wink:

Postby jefnel1 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:00 am

How do you know it was Swamp Ash? I always thought it was Alder.

I know the original Japanese ESP SEJ-250 came in Ash or Mahogany, but by the time the Jake signature guitars made it to the US, they were Alder.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Wed May 09, 2007 7:45 am

jefnel1 wrote:How do you know it was Swamp Ash? I always thought it was Alder.

I know the original Japanese ESP SEJ-250 came in Ash or Mahogany, but by the time the Jake signature guitars made it to the US, they were Alder.

Hi Jeff, I thought the whitie was ash because as far as we know it was sunburst before and sunburst strats were ash.

Well thats what someone else posted in the forum! Dunno if it helps.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed May 09, 2007 9:00 am

Gonzo wrote:
jefnel1 wrote:How do you know it was Swamp Ash? I always thought it was Alder.

Hi Jeff, I thought the whitie was ash because as far as we know it was sunburst before and sunburst strats were ash.

Well thats what someone else posted in the forum! Dunno if it helps.

i posted a link regarding this matter some time ago.
the '74 sunburst fender strats were ash :)

but where the hell did the thread go ? :?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 am

Man I'd really like to know for sure if it was Alder or Swamp Ash. Do we know for sure that it was a 74 Sunburst that he then later painted white?

Do we know that the purple and blue burst Charvels were Alder for sure?

Man I wish Jake's old guitar tech from the Ozzy tours would post here- he could tell us for sure.

Jefnel- that is fascinating that the SEJ-250 came in Mahogany???!!! and Swamp Ash but was released in US as Alder. Cool. So did Jake ever play the Mahogany ones live?

I loved Jakes tone but if Whitey was in deed Swamp Ash that would probably account for the common criticism that Jake got about his tone back in the day- being too trebbly all the time, being that Swamp Ash is kinda bright sounding. Wow he was definitely the only dude in the 80s with a Swamp Ash guitar- everyone else had like Basswood or Alder.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

well, looking on the equipment-section tells us that it is indeed a 74-strat :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Wed May 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Alkeys wrote:Any idea whether Jake's Whitey was Alder or Swamp Ash?

I'm in the process of building a new guitar. Should I go with Alder, Swamp Ash or Mahogany?

Thanks

I always thought it was alder to.......

as far as building goes...I think alder sounds better than swamp ash, as someone ponitd out its a bit warmer sounding than ash

mahogany can sound great as a strat...just make sure you use p/ups that are quite trebly as the mahogany has all the low end you will need :wink:
I made this out of mahogany w/full shred p/up and it sounds massive but could do with a bit more bite

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu May 10, 2007 4:40 am

sytharnia wrote:
Alkeys wrote:Any idea whether Jake's Whitey was Alder or Swamp Ash?

Thanks

I always thought it was alder to.......

as far as building goes...I think alder sounds better than swamp ash, as someone ponitd out its a bit warmer sounding than ash

mahogany can sound great as a strat...just make sure you use p/ups that are quite trebly as the mahogany has all the low end you will need :wink:
I made this out of mahogany w/full shred p/up and it sounds massive but could do with a bit more bite

that is sweet :)
kinda' reminds me of this one ...

Postby jefnel1 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:57 am

Ok. I got the goods from a Fender rep.

In 1956, the sunburst finished Strats changed from Ash to Alder and didn't change through the 1980's, when they started toying with Basswood, Poplar and Ash.

The blond (Mary-Kay, etc.) strats remained Ash, while the sunburst models were Alder. They had to change up the finishing process of the sunburst guitars to accomodate the Alder wood.

So, in light of this, Jake's "Whitey" must have been an Alder body.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu May 10, 2007 9:18 am

From Fender.com 8)

(800)* 3-Color Sunburst, (Ash Body), *add $150.00 for Special Wood Requirements,
(805) Olympic White, (Alder Body),
(806) Black, (Alder Body),
(821)* Natural, (Ash Body), *add $150.00 for Special Wood Requirements,
(Polyester Finish)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Somethings telling me it's Alder. It's a damn good mystery though. Jefnel- you said you had a SEJ-250 made of Mahogany. Do you like that guitar? Tell us about it- I know it's Mahogany but does it have enough bite for you?

The pickups I'm going to be using are Carvin Allan Holdsworth model humbuckers Neck and Bridge models. And maybe I'll put a singlecoil in the middle to give it some singlecoil kick. :)

Any suggestions on your favorite singlecoils to put in, lemme hear em. I thought about the DiMarzio SDS-1 as you can still get em, but they will probably be too hot compared to the Allan Holdsworth humbuckers. Plus the SDS-1 uses kinda old pre hum cancelling technology so they'd probably be noisy as hell.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Thu May 10, 2007 5:42 pm

I guess I'm kinda leaning towards Alder at this point. Kind of worried Swamp Ash wouldn't have enough low end for me.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...