Jake in Randy Rhoads movie???

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Jake in Randy Rhoads movie???

Postby snowden7772 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 pm

i dont think jake will make an appearance.hes too low key.it would be nice thugh.the rhoads family is in on this so i dont think anyones being exploited.doesn't randy deserve something like this?i think kevins hair piece is growing to his brain now

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:01 am

After reading the new Guitar World issue Kevin is deadset on not participating in the RR movie. The theory is that Kev didn't exactly approve
of Rudy Sarzo's book "Off the Rails" which he says if full of innaccuracies. Sarzo is also partcipating in the film which is most likely Dubrow's point of contention.

I would really like to hear Jake's point of view especially after doing the impossible and replacing a guitar legend. After hearing Bark At The Moon for the first time I knew another legend was born. Still an awesome riff and solo to this day.

Killer of Giants

Postby SDBinNY » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:50 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
pejale wrote:Is this the one Kevin DuBrow seems to be kicking up a stink about?? :twisted:

What's his problem?

~Brian~

He has two problems:

1) Carlos couldn't hold a candle to Randy

2) He's Kevin DuBrow.

Ever heard all the crap he was spewing about Sarzo after his book was released?

Evidently,he thinks he has some sort of right to be the only one allowed to have memories of Randy.

Get a grip Kev,even Randy's playing with you couldn't get you noticed.

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:31 am

Once again,it seems to be down to the old "ego" thing. I don't think Jake would have been naive enough when he replaced Randy (via Torme 'n' Gillis) to think that he wouldn't be in for a hard time in some respects, i don't agree with it,but even i and probably many of you have encountered similair problems when changing jobs,meeting new girlfriends' parents etc. different from standing in front of 15.000 people i know,but just a thought!!
Also,it's unfortunate,but when a "rock star" dies,they become a legend and it seems to me that anyone with the slightest link or connection with,say, Randy,can (and does) with hindsight magnify their importance to make themselves a driving force or special friend when in fact they may have had little or no influence on Randy or whoever it may be. I'm not saying Dubrow or Sarzo are guilty of this,i know little about them,only through their links with Randy and Ozzy, but i do find it sad that two people who claim to be Randy's "friends" put their own personal differences before that of their great "friend".
I think i need to get out a bit more at times :?

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:06 pm

I don't understand why everyone thinks Jake is such a big part of the Randy legacy. Yeah, he joined the Ozzy band after Randy had played in it and had to play some of the songs, but so did 2 other guitarists before him and another two after him. If anything, Jake tried to distance himself from the Randy thing because of the reasons Jimi Forrest noted. What's he gonna come on and say in the video? "Yeah, he was good. I joined the band later. Yeah he was good" I mean, it would be better to talk to Joe Holmes for that documentary since not only did he play with Ozzy but he also studied with Randy. Randy had a way bigger and more direct impact on Joe's playing. Jake was not influenced by Randy. I mean think about it. Jake was 20 in '77. Pretty sure he was well on his way playing wise by then. He may have seen Randy in the late 70's in clubs but by the time he moved up to LA he was playing in bands of his own there. Anyways...

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Jake interview for ANY documentary, I just think people are really mistaken about his role in the Randy story.

Postby skezza » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 pm

seasons wrote:I don't understand why everyone thinks Jake is such a big part of the Randy legacy. Yeah, he joined the Ozzy band after Randy had played in it and had to play some of the songs, but so did 2 other guitarists before him and another two after him. If anything, Jake tried to distance himself from the Randy thing because of the reasons Jimi Forrest noted. What's he gonna come on and say in the video? "Yeah, he was good. I joined the band later. Yeah he was good" I mean, it would be better to talk to Joe Holmes for that documentary since not only did he play with Ozzy but he also studied with Randy. Randy had a way bigger and more direct impact on Joe's playing. Jake was not influenced by Randy. I mean think about it. Jake was 20 in '77. Pretty sure he was well on his way playing wise by then. He may have seen Randy in the late 70's in clubs but by the time he moved up to LA he was playing in bands of his own there. Anyways...

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Jake interview for ANY documentary, I just think people are really mistaken about his role in the Randy story.
I would like to think Joe Holmes is already participating in the documentary. I think Jake should have to say something, because it was difficult to replace Randy. I remember hearing Jason Newsted saying how difficult he felt it was to replace Cliff.
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 am

He didn't replace Randy. He replaced Brad Gillis who replaced Bernie Torme.

Jason's situation was quite different.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:37 am

Actually, Jake replaced George Lynch. Ozzy handed it to George for a less than a week but when Jake left Dio, Ozzy hired him to replace Lynch. George couldn't read music and knew no music theory which scared Ozzy and ultimately led to his firing.

All Access Member

Postby snowden7772 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:58 am

now that would be an interesting bootleg!ozzy and george lynch.i have 1 of ozzy with alex skolnik,but would love to hear george lynch playing the ozzy classics.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:27 am

MrScary1971 wrote:Actually, Jake replaced George Lynch. Ozzy handed it to George for a less than a week but when Jake left Dio, Ozzy hired him to replace Lynch. George couldn't read music and knew no music theory which scared Ozzy and ultimately led to his firing.

the reason why Ozzy hired Jake over George was the hair :!:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 pm

You honestly gonna tell me that Ozzy, who can't even read a sentence (self admitedly) fired someone over them not being able to read music? Hmm, don't think so.

I also don't think Lynch would have replaced Randy at his mothers school (which he did) if he couldn't read music.

That story is just not true.

Lynch was up for the Ozzy gig twice, but lost out both times.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:51 am

seasons wrote:You honestly gonna tell me that Ozzy, who can't even read a sentence (self admitedly) fired someone over them not being able to read music? Hmm, don't think so.

I also don't think Lynch would have replaced Randy at his mothers school (which he did) if he couldn't read music.

That story is just not true.

Lynch was up for the Ozzy gig twice, but lost out both times.

It is absolutely true, George was taking guitar lessons in the late 90's to finally learn theory. He talks about it all the time in his Dojo and his website. He always says he plays melodic shapes and created his own style that way.

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Hmm, that's pretty interesting I had never heard that. Guess I was wrong. I do find it hard to believe that Ozzy would can someone for not being able to read though.

I love Lynch, I saw a recent clinic of his last month. That was a dream to see him like that. It was two hours and he played for probably and hour total!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:45 pm

seasons wrote:Hmm, that's pretty interesting I had never heard that. Guess I was wrong. I do find it hard to believe that Ozzy would can someone for not being able to read though.

I love Lynch, I saw a recent clinic of his last month. That was a dream to see him like that. It was two hours and he played for probably and hour total!

That's cool Seasons, I have to see George but he doesn't come around my neck of the woods very often. He has been opening here and there for Michael Shenker and making clinic appearances at Sam Ash stores promoting his Randall Amps.

As far as Ozzy and Lynch goes Ozzy always wanted someone who had a great deal of music theory because he didn't. Ozzy had to hum his music ideas and Randy would transcribe them for him. Randy was very understanding and patient with Ozzy which was not the case with Tony Iommi who made Ozzy feel intimidated. Ozzy was looking for the same qualities to replace Randy. George's approach is to hammer out ideas in the studio and then record the parts he likes. George was also personality wise much different than Randy. He had quite the temper and could be difficult to work with at times. Jake was just a much better fit and for what Ozzy needed was the logical choice. George has also mentioned he is terrible at copping other players material and prefers to play solos his way. Just check out any tribute cd with George on it and you will see what I mean. George never plays his old Dokken solos the same either. He plays how he feels at that moment and ad libs live quite frequently. Randy's parts had to be exact because they are timeless and classic. Like Zakk Wylde always said "You have to play Randy and Jake's material right goddamit because it's the only way to play em, that's what the fans want and also what the Boss wants". Nuff said.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Mr Scary, you know why Joe Holmes was picked over Alex Skolnick?
Joe had longer hair, and Sharon freaked out when he one day cut it
to shoulderlength :?

Same thing goes with George and Jake.
The reason Jake was picked was that he had longer
hair than Lynch. Ozzy has, in interviews, admit that George
was the better player :?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...